CDN Grom
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

CDN Grom

This is a discussion on CDN Grom within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Picked up a used 2015 Grom a couple weeks ago here in Ottawa, Canada. Bought it for the wife who hasn't ridden since she got ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CDN Grom

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km

CDN Grom

Picked up a used 2015 Grom a couple weeks ago here in Ottawa, Canada. Bought it for the wife who hasn't ridden since she got her license 8 years ago, except a couple times in the fall of 2016, just before we sold our Buell Blast. The Buell was supposed to be a keeper, but it was clunky at best. It was replaced by a 2016 KTM Duke 390, which had since been modded and put down 48hp on the dyno

Bought the Grom from the second owner, a teenager who had it for two seasons. It was sold to first owner new in 2017, then sold to the guy I bought it from later that year. He was paying C$300/month for insurance! Bike was advertised at C$2200 and I picked it up for C$1800 with 3073kms. Right tank cover is cracked, left cover has a broken clip, front fender has some scratches. Otherwise was in excellent shape.

Pics from listing by previous owner:

Got it safetied (required before you can register in Ontario) then ordered new ContiScoot tires, RideItMoto levers, Renthal Kevlar 32mm grips and Road Low handlebar.

(I have an SF rectifier, TST frame sliders, and Core Moto brake lines on order but won't be able to install those until later in August after back from holidays.)

2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

This user has no status.

Member #
    Nice start. pic of that 390?? i spy the back wheel already, thinking about a 3rd bike and the 390 is at the top followed by the CRF450L.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Nice find. Is it really for the wife or is it for you? LOL

I'd also like to see the 48HP 390. How was the reliability on that bike before you modded it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    Nice find. Is it really for the wife or is it for you? LOL

I'd also like to see the 48HP 390. How was the reliability on that bike before you modded it?
    Wife asked the same... It's definitely for her but I'm setting it up as I would for myself

(I wouldn't have her ride something I wouldn't ride personally)

The Duke had been reliable, has just over 8k kms now. It got modded basically day 1. PCV very early, which I think has helped ensure reliability and keeping it from running lean etc. A recent pic and from last track day back in 2017.

Last edited by CDN Grom; 07-16-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    LordSquirrel and 50-50 like this.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Grom View Post
    Wife asked the same... It's definitely for her but I'm setting it up as I would for myself

(I wouldn't have her ride something I wouldn't ride personally)

The Duke had been reliable, has just over 8k kms now. It got modded basically day 1. PCV very early, which I think has helped ensure reliability and keeping it from running lean etc. A recent pic and from last track day back in 2017.

I always thought the 2017-19 duke 390 was the best bang for the buck for a small motorcycle esp for riding around town or the back roads. I wonder if they make BST carbon fiber wheels for that bike.

What exhaust system did you use and what sprocket setup for track day F/R, thanks
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 07-16-2019 at 01:47 PM.

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    I like the 15-16 as lighter, shorter and more tunable... Different ECU.

BST does make wheels as does Marchesini (sp?)

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post

What exhaust system did you use and what sprocket setup for track day F/R, thanks
    I'm running the original Competition Werkes GP pipe with the Tyga header.

Honestly, it's too short for optimum power but it's very light compared to stock...

I run 16T front, up from factory 15, with stock 45T rear.

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    While my son was napping, got the SF rectifier, MNNTHBX Mtake, CJR flashed ECU and TST sliders installed.

Quick run up the street confirms the tune makes a huge difference. Once I get the cam installed, will pull even harder up top I understand... Keep in mind this is 8 -> 12hp, so not huge power but still a noticeable difference.

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Wife went mountain biking this weekend at Kingdom Trails so home alone with both kids for 4 days… Had a few updates planned - cam swap, tail tidy, rearsets and gp shift conversion.

Cam swap was more technical than I’ve attempted on any vehicle in the past - usually just bolt-ons, brake work etc. Went with the TB cam and CJR flashed ECU, mapped for it, plus the intake and exhaust. I put it in the freezer while I opened up the head. The cam came with new longer tappet screws for the high lift camshaft. Had to get a new feeler gauge, one I had bought with the angled tips from Home Depot only went down to .005, needed .003 for intake side.

One piece of pure bling - picked up a used cam shaft cover. I’ve seen similar on the Ducati’s and thought for US$40, would be a nice aesthetic mod - normally always function over form but this is pretty neat, especially for my young son to see.

Last edited by CDN Grom; 09-02-2019 at 11:08 AM.

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Tail tidy - $30 Aliexpress special. Didn’t come with plate lamp as described, nor did plate bolt up without new holes, but otherwise good. Used fender washers instead of the standard ones it came with.

One hiccup, dropped one of the original bolts into a frame tube. Needed to rig a chain of magnets to get it out.

CDN Grom-img_20190901_205146.jpg

CDN Grom-img_20190901_205231.jpg

CDN Grom-screen-shot-2019-09-02-2.10.48-pm.png
    Last edited by CDN Grom; 09-02-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links