Squirrel's 143 Build
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Squirrel's 143 Build

This is a discussion on Squirrel's 143 Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I figured I'd post a build because I'm seeing a couple people interested in my findings and I want to provide as much information regarding ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Squirrel's 143 Build

is a squirrel

Member #

Squirrel's 143 Build

I figured I'd post a build because I'm seeing a couple people interested in my findings and I want to provide as much information regarding the Takegawa 143 as I can. Also, I need help from you guys. This is uncharted territory for me and while I've read a ton of posts about BBKs and the like, there's still a TON I'm unsure of. If you see something I post and you're thinking it doesn't sound correct please let me know. Also the electronics side of things is a weak point for me so please explain things like I'm 5.

So I installed the Takegawa 143 along with the Takegawa S stage cam. The hardest part was the piston rings. I had to re-do them three times because something stupid would happen and mess it up. For example I had the piston on, clips in and I was pushing the cylinder on. Well the crank decided to move and the piston pulled out of the cylinder... Then I forgot to cover the hole into the crank case and a c clip flew off into what I though was the crank case. I was so defeated when that happened. Luckily it was in that slot where the cam chain goes and it's a magnetic material so all was good.

I have a little over 20 miles on the 143 kit and 2 heat cycles. Valve clearances look good, no leaks, spark plug has no oil on it and it was mostly a light brown color. All I'm running is an EFIE set to 260 whatever it is. Volts? I just followed the forum post instructions and change the setting on my meter until I see the hundreds. I'm an accountant not an electrician damn it.

I'm using an Innovate MTX-L Plus to monitor the AFR and so far it idles around 13.3 +-.2. I've been staying around 5,500rpm for the break in and the afr stays around 13.0. I did have a weird anomaly yesterday were I came to a stop light and the afr kept going down. The temp was I think around 170F. The afr got down to 10.9 and the idle was a bit low. Throttle response was normal and when I came to the next stop it was fine. For the rest of the ride I had no problems. I let it idle for about 10 minutes at home blipping the throttle every once in a while and it would always settle in the low 13s.

I wish I had a data logger for the afr. If you guys know of an inexpensive system that would work with my gauge let me know. From what I can tell, if I were to go more with Innovate, I would need their tach gauge and the logger system.

In terms of heat I'm using the Opmid gauge. Riding around keeping around 5500rpm the temp was as if it were stock. It only broke 200 when I let it idle for 10 minutes at home. It hit a max temp of 225 and I decided to ride it around the block to see how fast the temp would drop and it went down to 215 relatively quick. I'm confident it would have continued to go down the longer I rode. I'm 99% sure an oil cooler isn't necessary with the 143 kit.

Once the break in is done I'll get a better idea of WOT temps and afr and regular riding data as well. The pcx 150 injector was delivered today so I'll slap that on, reset the ecu, check the bolts and go for a ride. I also want to check and mark the cam sprocket bolt to see if it moves over time. I remember reading a post that it likes to work it's way out.

I'll post some pics of everything in a bit. Just wanted to write down what I've seen so far and some thoughts.

Here's the mods I have:
    Takegawa 143 kit
    Takegawa S Stage cam
    PCX 150 fuel injector
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP catch tube
    SMR 6 disc clutch with 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Some aftermarket intake (previous owner put it on. might be the black chimera one)
    Ebay full exhaust with a bung welded on
    Innovate MTX-L Plug AFR gauge
    Opmid temp gauge
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spools
    Seat Concepts seat
    14/36 sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires
    A bunch of other cosmetic mods (I'll post pics)
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-29-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    50-50, tooter and David like this.
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is a squirrel

Member #
    Pictures!

Here's an overall picture of my bike. Taiwan head light with LED H4 40W Turbo lights from ebay, amazon z125 style mirrors, gold ebay levers and bar ends, and progrip grips.

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_210007.jpg

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205354.jpg

Ebay header. Bung was welded on by a local shop. It can fit any can that has a 54mm opening. I chose a dual can. Some older gentleman said the exhaust reminds him of his old scrambler.
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205323.jpg

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205341.jpg

Innovate afr gauge and Opmid gauge. Gauge mount 3d printed. Got the design files from turp (thanks turp) and modified it a little so I didn't have to rewire it. Also the handlebars are for a drz. Previous owner put them on.
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205403.jpg

Seat concepts seat. Everyone said it was the best mod they put on their grom and I was like ya ok sure. I'm sorry I doubted you.
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205456.jpg

YSS rear shock. Previous owner put it on. I have nothing to compare it to, but I have no complaints
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205538.jpg

OTB chain adjusters. Also 36T sprocket the previous owner put on. He didn't really have a color scheme for the bike, it was just a bunch of neon colored parts all over. Except the rims, which I think he just spray painted. I'm going for a gold and black scheme.
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205518.jpg

TB aluminum shifter with Hard Racing shift support bracket
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205600.jpg

I'm only including this pic because i want to show you how faded these Yoshi plugs are. Previous owner put them on. They're fading to pink. I had a guy on a CB360 comment how he liked the color scheme I was going for with the black and gold and pink. It took me a second to understand what the pink was.
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205605.jpg
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    50-50, BUCKNUT, Davey K and 1 others like this.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I'm interested to hear your feedback on the 143 kit as well.

I like how your grill matches your car! LOL

I also am surprised you went with the TB shifter in favor of linkage. Why?

Faded to pink is why red anodizing sucks. That's a bummer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is a squirrel

Member #
    Wibbly don't look. I'll clean up the wiring in the future I promise.
    EFIE and afr gauge wiring. I used some velcro to keep the EFIE mounted down, but still accessible. Also used bullet connectors so if the EFIE craps out I can bypass it and run it like normal.

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205716.jpg

Ebay levers and bar ends. I've never had high end levers on any of my bikes. I just couldn't justify them. I'm happy with the ones I have.
    Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205428.jpg

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190708_205416.jpg
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-10-2019 at 06:48 AM.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is a squirrel

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I like how your grill matches your car! LOL
    That seriously never dawned on me lol.

Do you mean like the stock shifter? The previous owner put some neon green ebay shifter on and told me a horror story of when one of his buddies still had the linkage type and laid down his own grom and something broke. Apart from the shifter everything was fine, but how the shifter is connected it broke something on his rearset too? I never looked into the linkage type. The TB is nice. There's no play in it and I have no problems finding neutral.

Just for fun I'm starting a design for a shifter to 3d print. I already made a test fairing support bar that is super light and surprisingly strong. I just have to make it 3/4 of an inch longer and it'll be perfect
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is a squirrel

Member #
    Just got the pcx 150 injector and it is adorable! I didn't know it was so small (that's what she said)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squirrel's 143 Build-20190709_172016_1562707678351.jpg  
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is a squirrel

Member #
    Ran the pcx150 with the efie today and played around with quick takeoffs, wot in 4th, and some other throttle position stuff. Reset the ecu and throttle position sensor. On initial start it ran very rich. To the point where it died twice. The third time I gave it a bit of throttle to keep it going and let it go after a few seconds. It started out at 11.0 afr and gradually climbed to 14.0 at idle which was disappointing. I'm not sure if it should have been disappointing to be honest. I read that the 150 injector i got (2015+ year model) was giving people trouble with erratic afrs and I thought that was going to be the case.

Went for a quick ride around the block and it slowly got better. Idle was all over the place but throughout the rpms it was in the mid 13s.

After 20 miles doing mostly indicated 40 in 4th gear at 5500rpms it stuck going between 12.8 and 13.0. Idle was still all over the place. There were a few instances where it would drop to 10.7 then jump back up to 12.5 and it would keep doing that until I started moving again. Sometimes it would be in the mid 12s and sometimes it would be in the low 13s. Throughout the rpms and throttle % it would ultimately end up at 13.0 which I think is fine. The efie was set to 250 and maybe if it was at 260 it would be even better. At the end of my ride it idled at 13.2 +-.2

Before I adjust the efie, I'll put more miles on it and allow the ecu to adjust. I think I read somewhere it takes like 100 miles for it to fully adjust? I could be making that up.

Temps are still good. With more "spirited" riding it hovered around 210 and at stop lights would go to the upper teens. Highest I let it go was 235 which was when I sat for a little watching the idle afr after some harder riding. Even then it didnt really want to go any higher and quickly went down once I got moving again.
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-09-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    You can always point a GoPro at your AFR gauge, bonus if it can capture your RPM and throttle position as well.

Hopefully your idle AFR will smooth out as you let the ECU learn more. However, I had a problem when I was using the Finbro ECU and PCX150 Injector. My idle would always be in the 10's. You could smell the unburnt gasoline. But as soon as I cracked the throttle open, AFR would be in the "normal" range (12.5-14.0).

You might not even need the PCX150 injector if your bike was running fine with the stock one.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 07-09-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    50-50 and phillybuilt like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

is a squirrel

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    You can always point a GoPro at your AFR gauge, bonus if it can capture your RPM and throttle position as well.

Hopefully your idle AFR will smooth out as you let the ECU learn more. However, I had a problem when I was using the Finbro ECU and PCX150 Injector. My idle would always be in the 10's. You could smell the unburnt gasoline. But as soon as I cracked the throttle open, AFR would be in the "normal" range (12.5-14.0).

You might not even need the PCX150 injector if your bike was running fine with the stock one.
    That's a good idea. I'll have to find my gopro.

I'm thinking if this injector doesn't work out I'll try the other pcx150 injector. If that doesn't work then I'll either just go stock or try some others just to see. I'll just have a collection of fuel injectors.
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    That seriously never dawned on me lol.

Do you mean like the stock shifter? The previous owner put some neon green ebay shifter on and told me a horror story of when one of his buddies still had the linkage type and laid down his own grom and something broke. Apart from the shifter everything was fine, but how the shifter is connected it broke something on his rearset too? I never looked into the linkage type. The TB is nice. There's no play in it and I have no problems finding neutral.

Just for fun I'm starting a design for a shifter to 3d print. I already made a test fairing support bar that is super light and surprisingly strong. I just have to make it 3/4 of an inch longer and it'll be perfect
    The TB shifter bolts directly to the shift shaft which may be bad for your engine in the event of an accident. The linkage absorbs impacts and protects that shift shaft.

The linkage also provides some added leverage for ease of shifting.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links