Squirrel's 143 Build - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Squirrel's 143 Build

This is a discussion on Squirrel's 143 Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Got some parts in the mail this week. I'll be wiring up the fan and switch today after work. I also got the cam cover ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Squirrel's 143 Build

is a squirrel

Member #
    Got some parts in the mail this week. I'll be wiring up the fan and switch today after work.

I also got the cam cover from dubsolo so I'll be looking into making a vented cam cover from the old one. My plan is to put a brass hose barb adapter threaded in the cam cover, run the hose up into the fairings, and add an air oil separator and mount it to the frame or something. We'll see.

I got this little dude to try out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moisture-Tr...72.m2749.l2649
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    The Trail Tech temp gauge reads from the base of the spark plug. This would be your cylinder head temp, a more accurate view of whats going on in your combustion chamber (air fuel ratio and spark timing, etc). The stock grom temp sensor I see as more of an Oil temp sensor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

is a squirrel

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    The Trail Tech temp gauge reads from the base of the spark plug. This would be your cylinder head temp, a more accurate view of whats going on in your combustion chamber (air fuel ratio and spark timing, etc). The stock grom temp sensor I see as more of an Oil temp sensor.
    I'll grab one. Couldn't hurt having another way to read temps.

So yesterday I got lazy and took a nap instead of working on the grom . I have a little over 200 miles now on this build and I still love it. The EFIE keeps the afr in a safe range and while it may not be properly tuned, it's $500+ dollars saved and keeps the engine from blowing up. I don't know if the $500+ is worth the little bit of extra power I might get, but I'll decide that once I get more miles on the bike and try some different combos for fuel adjusting.

Temps while doing regular cruising are still good. The only time I get concerned is coming to a stop after WOT on the highway. I'm hoping the fan and some better placed and added fins from the cam cover and the soon to be purchased tappet covers will be the solution. When I got home yesterday I took a quick temp reading with an ir temp gun and the head read 270. The Opmid read 230. This was 90 degree weather with 70% humidity.

I also filled the tank yesterday and got 94mpg. Considering the problem I was having with extremely rich idle, I'm fine with the mpg. I'll get a better idea now that things have evened out.

This weekend is supposed to be 95 here and feel like over 100 with humidity so I don't think much will get done.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    I love my 143, DHM built me a ported head for it and it rips.
    2015 Grom - High Compression 125 Build
    2018 Grom - 143cc BigBore
    1986 Spree - 70cc BigBore
    2017 DRZ400SM

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

is a squirrel

Member #
    Oh that would be so much better.... I dont know anyone with a tig welder but i think a muffler shop could probably do it for a couple bucks. Or jb weld. The filter Im getting for sure.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is a squirrel

Member #
    Quick question. I'm wiring up that little fan I got to switch on during long stops to get some air flow and I need a DC power source. I was thinking that I could tap into the afr gauge power that goes to an add a link fuse. I just want to make sure the fuse power source is DC. The fuse I'm using is circled in the picture. I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like it says it's for the fuel injector? Is this a DC source?

Squirrel's 143 Build-inked20190708_205716_li.jpg
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    LS,

I continue to follow along on your build process with significant interest. One aspect which I continue to try to understand is whether the engine heat you are seeking to control(via fan, etc.) is simply the typical heat of a normal air-cooled Grom engine (they do run hot) or whether you perceive there to be a significant increase in heat due to moving up to the 143. Your thoughts and/or observations are appreciated.

is a squirrel

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    LS,

I continue to follow along on your build process with significant interest. One aspect which I continue to try to understand is whether the engine heat you are seeking to control(via fan, etc.) is simply the typical heat of a normal air-cooled Grom engine (they do run hot) or whether you perceive there to be a significant increase in heat due to moving up to the 143. Your thoughts and/or observations are appreciated.
    The temp readings I'm getting are slightly higher than stock, but not much. The temp also fluctuates a bit faster with the 143 than stock. The other day I did 50 miles and averaged a speed of about 40mph. It was 78 outside and the engine hovered around 210 reading from the opmid. At a long stop it creeped up and hit a max of 225. It also likes to go up a bit during acceleration from a stop, but I'm imagining that's due to the quick change in rpm in 1st gear. Once moving, it goes down to around 210 again. I also remembered that with my CBR, the radiator fans don't kick on until 222, so I'm sure 225 is fine for an air cooled engine.

The only time I got uncomfortable with the heat was when it was a really hot day and after some hard riding, quickly followed by long red lights the temp got up to 245+. Could a stock grom get that hot in those conditions? Yes, I've done it. Is it a problem? I don't know, and I think that's my problem right now. I see a bunch of different takes on what is proper temp and where it is best to read the temp from.

Right now, I think I just want to provide some airflow at a stop, whether the temps are high or not. I'm at a little over 250 miles on the 143. I plan on doing another oil change and cleaning the screen at around 300, maybe more. I ordered 60% springs so I want to wait until I get those to take it apart.
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-25-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Paultergeist likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is a squirrel

Member #
    Installed the little fan. It blows a decent amount of air on the engine. The way it's angled, it blows mostly on the cylinder head. Not sure yet if it will do anything. I'll get more riding in before I give my impressions. I ended up breaking the little clip on the left side fairing when putting it back on . Doesn't seem to affect anything other than I have to kinda hold the fairing in place until I get a bolt or two in.

Here's a few pics of the fan mounted. It's not pretty, but for right now I just want to see if it actually does anything. Plus it's all hidden with the fairings on.

Attachment 81950

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190725_203436.jpg

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190725_203454.jpg

I just put the switch here for now. If it works out I'll adjust the gauge mount to include the button.

Squirrel's 143 Build-20190725_211829.jpg

Also I hit the rev limiter today in 4th for the first time. Was going 72 indicated. Scared the crap out of me lol. I'll order a 15 front sprocket and see how that goes.

Still having rich idle problems. Thought I fixed it, but it just seems to come back. I ordered the other PCX150 injector to see if it'll be any different. If not, I'll put the stock injector back on.
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-26-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    2014 Grom
    Kitaco clutch cover
    PCX 150 injector
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    EFIE
    Seat Concepts seat