First Ride On The 50hp E-Grom, She’s Insane!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on First Ride On The 50hp E-Grom, She’s Insane! within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Finally got it together enough to test her out! She’s insane! (Hard pulls start around 7:30) https://youtu.be/03Wekp2mf0g...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FluxCapacitor
  • 1 Post By Electrobraap

Thread: First Ride On The 50hp E-Grom, She’s Insane!

This user has no status.

Member #

Finally got it together enough to test her out! She’s insane! (Hard pulls start around 7:30)

https://youtu.be/03Wekp2mf0g

This user has no status.

Member #
    very cool man. probably should consider a steering damper haha. i'm sure you'll figure out a decent solution to the gearing issue.

how's the ground clearance when you're on it? that battery looks to be hanging a little low.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I thought this bike already had its own thread?

One thing I know for sure is that electric doesn't go braaap! LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    You got duel post just delete one of them

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    Nice Ferrari @ 16:00

Electric propulsion is intriguing, visually though, on a motorcycle the super large wheel sprocket is off putting... just sayin'.

Just as the battery technology has evolved, I'm sure a cleaner looking final drive system will emerge in the not to distant future.

First Ride On The 50hp E-Grom, She’s Insane!-tron-bike.jpg
    50-50 likes this.
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

This user has no status.

Member #
    the problem with electric is they have no primary reduction. most bikes have 3 reductions overall. the primary reduction between the crank and clutch, the transmission reduction, and the final drive.

the overall reduction needs to be substantial. consider that at 100km/h, the back wheel is going about 1000rpm.

so if you are geared for 100km/h at 10000rpm, your overall ratio is 10:1. if you don't have multiple reductions, that's 14/140 sprockets.

i'm not sure about the motor specs on the Alta, but maybe the op can chime in. i suspect to make 50hp out of it at the size it is, it's going to be a very fast spinning motor. a standard 4 pole 50hp motor weighs a whole lot more than his entire bike.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
    the problem with electric is they have no primary reduction. most bikes have 3 reductions overall. the primary reduction between the crank and clutch, the transmission reduction, and the final drive.

the overall reduction needs to be substantial. consider that at 100km/h, the back wheel is going about 1000rpm.

so if you are geared for 100km/h at 10000rpm, your overall ratio is 10:1. if you don't have multiple reductions, that's 14/140 sprockets.

i'm not sure about the motor specs on the Alta, but maybe the op can chime in. i suspect to make 50hp out of it at the size it is, it's going to be a very fast spinning motor. a standard 4 pole 50hp motor weighs a whole lot more than his entire bike.

You are correct. The motor is rated for 14k rpm, Under a load between 10 and 12k.

We are working on the gearing right now. We can only do so much but I think we have somewhat of a solution figured out.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    yikes that's a lot of motor speed.

a guy pretty well needs a primary reduction prior to the countershaft. if you could get a 4:1 in there you'd only need 2.5:1 at the sprockets which would be much more reasonable.

Sponsored Links