Build: 50HP Electric Conversion - Project Electrom - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

50HP Electric Conversion - Project Electrom

This is a discussion on 50HP Electric Conversion - Project Electrom within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; You're probably not doing 120mph on the dirt bike. The dirt bike will have much shorter gearing on it than a practical street bike. I'm ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 50HP Electric Conversion - Project Electrom

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    You're probably not doing 120mph on the dirt bike.

The dirt bike will have much shorter gearing on it than a practical street bike.

I'm not nay saying at all and I look forward to seeing this thing. This kind of project is right in my wheelhouse, I'm a VFD tech with an automation company, I eat sleep and breathe AC drives.

But it is a brushless DC (AC) motor yeah?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
    You're probably not doing 120mph on the dirt bike.

The dirt bike will have much shorter gearing on it than a practical street bike.

I'm not nay saying at all and I look forward to seeing this thing. This kind of project is right in my wheelhouse, I'm a VFD tech with an automation company, I eat sleep and breathe AC drives.

But it is a brushless DC (AC) motor yeah?
    Absolutely. I imagine most of the time riding this thing will be between 25-45 mph. I don’t think I’m looking to race circuit style on it. Just horse around and break some straight line records if possible.

Correct. this motor is made my fakuta. I believe special for Alta.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    awesome. i look forward to this.

i'm really tempted to do an electric build as well, but probably not in a grom sized bike. i think i'd also use equipment i'm more familiar with.

but yeah if you're babying it your range might be decent? 8 horsepower for an hour might get you a decent distance.

but please do consider the frame. the stock grom frame is pretty sad. it gets wallowy with the standard horsepower the grom produces. i couldn't imagine it with 50.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is a Gromlet

Member #
    updates? pretty pumped on this
    2018 Yellow Grom (Her's)
    2018 Red Grom (Mine)
    2017 Triumph Bonneville Bobber (Her's)
    2012 Ducati Diavel (Mine)

1979 Yamaha QT 50 Yamahopper (project)
    1979 Yamaha XS650 (project)

2017 Ford Focus RS

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie13 View Post
    updates? pretty pumped on this

50HP Electric Conversion - Project Electrom-pump-up.jpg
    Vinnie13 and 50-50 like this.
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    This thread got me all wired!
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I despise electric. We are rushing into it way too quickly.
    I think its more like, we should have rushed into it 100 years ago. There was a man who had an electric milk truck in... 1910? Can't remember the exact year. His battery was good for 14 miles, and his daily route for work was only 12 miles. Charged it up at night, worked all day delivering milk to people. Now just think what could have been, with 100 years worth of development into that instead of the turd that is the IC engine. 75% energy dissipated as heat?? ... pfft gtfo of here with that trash! lol just my 0.02.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
    I think its more like, we should have rushed into it 100 years ago. There was a man who had an electric milk truck in... 1910? Can't remember the exact year. His battery was good for 14 miles, and his daily route for work was only 12 miles. Charged it up at night, worked all day delivering milk to people. Now just think what could have been, with 100 years worth of development into that instead of the turd that is the IC engine. 75% energy dissipated as heat?? ... pfft gtfo of here with that trash! lol just my 0.02.
    I looked this up and here's what I found.

"These trucks had a 3.5 HP electric motor that was powered by many batteries to produce 66 to 80 volts and a maximum of 40 amps. The driving range of these trucks was about 50 miles and the maximum speed was 10 to 12 MPH."

That's not a truck. That's a scooter that happens to haul things.

Battery technology has developed slowly. I don't know that it could have been rushed too much faster. I say that because batteries have seen widespread use for decades. Forklifts, vehicles, equipment, toys, etc. Are you telling me these industries didn't care about developing batteries and making their products more attractive? I don't buy that at all.

Sure, electric motors and batteries are efficient and clean. But manufacturing and charging batteries is very destructive to the environment. Then there's the fact that modern power plants are extremely inefficient. If you think ICE's are inefficient checkout the efficiencies of power plants. You'll probably laugh because it's quite pathetic. ICE's are quite efficient in comparison. Those are the dirty little secrets that electric fans and the electric industry love to omit.

Yes, batteries are cleaner running than ICE's, but current electric power is by no means clean or efficient. It's just cleanER.
    Last edited by 50-50; 06-25-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    the thing with electric is that they have a one-time cost. as recycling and manufacturing improves the costs will decrease.

when it comes to charging, as power generation cleans up so do the cars

ICE cars will pollute the atmosphere from the day they start being built to the day they finish their life cycle. individual cars don't get cleaner as time and tech improves, they usually get worse as lack of maintenance reduces their efficiency.

battery tech recently has exploded. look at the capacity of your cell phone battery and the size of it. saying it sucks and writing off its viability is pretty closed minded.

i can't wait to be all electric, not only for the insane performance but also the lack of maintenance but also never having to fuel up again.

power generation is the focus of pretty well the whole world at the moment. the thirst for energy is ever increasing so you'd be foolish to think it's not a key concern.
    solidjohnny likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
    the thing with electric is that they have a one-time cost. as recycling and manufacturing improves the costs will decrease.

when it comes to charging, as power generation cleans up so do the cars

ICE cars will pollute the atmosphere from the day they start being built to the day they finish their life cycle. individual cars don't get cleaner as time and tech improves, they usually get worse as lack of maintenance reduces their efficiency.

battery tech recently has exploded. look at the capacity of your cell phone battery and the size of it. saying it sucks and writing off its viability is pretty closed minded.

i can't wait to be all electric, not only for the insane performance but also the lack of maintenance but also never having to fuel up again.

power generation is the focus of pretty well the whole world at the moment. the thirst for energy is ever increasing so you'd be foolish to think it's not a key concern.
    Power plants, like individual cars, wear over time and thus they also become less efficient. They pollute more for less output as they age. That's not only true for ICE vehicles.

You bring up a great point about cellphone batteries. Most of them don't even last two days with moderate to heavy usage and some won't even make it through a day. Their claimed run time is nowhere near reality. And that's only a phone, but the same goes for cars. Tesla may claim you'll get 300 miles per charge, but in reality you aren't even going to get close to that. Battery technology has come a long way, but it still has a long, long way to go. I believe battery technology will ramp up even faster since so many companies are focusing on them, but we still got a long road ahead of us before every vehicle, even every passenger car, is electric powered. In our life time we, thankfully, will not see a time when every vehicle on the road is electric.

Internal combustion engines and the experience they provide are worth the maintenance. Electric, as powerful as it may be, isn't as fun to me. The sounds, the smells and the feel are just gone.

I agree with you there. Power is an issue in cities when heat waves come around. If you think we have the infrastructure to support all of our creature comforts as well as all of our vehicles you are crazy.

And at the end of the day the thing that nobody likes to talk about is that electric still leaves us in the hands of fossil fuels. Each day these natural resources become less and the pollution grows. That's not even mentioning the fact that raw materials for batteries are also limited resources and mining them absolutely destroys the earth as much as extracting fossil fuels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links