Wibbly's Grom winter project, how to do a 300 build right
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Wibbly's Grom winter project, how to do a 300 build right within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; this is a summary of what i did this winter. it's not really a how-to, and i'm not going to produce any of these parts ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Wibbly's Grom winter project, how to do a 300 build right

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #

this is a summary of what i did this winter. it's not really a how-to, and i'm not going to produce any of these parts for sale. this was a bike for me, not something that i want to do again for other people.

it's not a simple task to do a good job of this swap, the chimera kit is simple, but has way too many shortcomings (ie it depends on the shitty grom frame for one, we won't get into it much more than that, it has its place, but not on my bike)

i'll just let the pictures do the talking from here, maybe a blurb or two after each one.

it starts with my grom, stock engine, akrapovic full exhaust, a couple other odds and ends but pretty standard. i didn't even take a pic before i started stripping it

01 by William Glancy, on Flickr

it only took about 45 mins to get from full bike to this

02 by William Glancy, on Flickr

wow is that a spindly little frame. no good, no good at all

03 by William Glancy, on Flickr

the length of unsupported tube is probably why the bike is so shitty and wallowy once you get moving on it.

04 by William Glancy, on Flickr

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    it starts with a really rough mockup. just grab some tube and see where you can anchor it, and what you need for basic geometry to clear everything

05 by William Glancy, on Flickr

06 by William Glancy, on Flickr

i've seen a lot of people weld their twin spar setup onto the stock bracing for the frame spar. why on earth you'd anchor an entire frame to sheet metal is beyond me. i decided i'd grind all the material off the headset and weld my twin spar right to the steering tube (while retaining my vin plate). simple enough.

07 by William Glancy, on Flickr

twin spar welded solid, cut the main tube, didn't move a bit. geometry maintained, perfect.

08 by William Glancy, on Flickr

my welder friend did the frame fabrication. i'm an electrician, not a welder. he was gracious enough to offer to help throughout the project, and his work speaks for itself.

09 by William Glancy, on Flickr

10 by William Glancy, on Flickr

quick bodywork test. looking good

11 by William Glancy, on Flickr

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    with the basic twin spar done, it's time to do some fitting

12 by William Glancy, on Flickr

i turned some spacers off in the lathe to fill in the void in the frame in preparation for the brackets. (i can run my machinist friend's CNC lathe well enough to produce parts like this, a machinist i am not)

13 by William Glancy, on Flickr

with the geometry for the brackets decided on, it's off to fusion360 to design the frame brackets. i came up with this and then my friend (machinist/shop owner, not the welder, there are two friends) milled them up for me

14 by William Glancy, on Flickr

15 by William Glancy, on Flickr

decided against trying to mod the tank, fuck that. the solution for the throttle body relocation comes later.

16 by William Glancy, on Flickr

17 by William Glancy, on Flickr

18 by William Glancy, on Flickr

19 by William Glancy, on Flickr
    Djezspin, dubSolo, altek and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    20 by William Glancy, on Flickr

time to turn off some tube ends to connect the front engine mounts to the frame.

21 by William Glancy, on Flickr

and back to welding to bring the front half of the frame to the head stock

22 by William Glancy, on Flickr

nice welding again

23 by William Glancy, on Flickr

24 by William Glancy, on Flickr

the main focus is frame integrity. built properly, braced properly

25 by William Glancy, on Flickr

26 by William Glancy, on Flickr
    Djezspin, dubSolo, altek and 1 others like this.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    first assembly with the completed frame, i didn't take any pics of the harness build. i'm an electrician so i just take that part for granted i guess. the donor bike had ABS so the harness was gutted completely, all unnecessary stuff stripped out, converted to coil over plug, added a quick shifter, relocated everything where it needed to go, wired up my custom controls and key bypass (with the key left on i have a push button ignition, the key overrides it if i need to lock down the bike). it's all very time consuming and boring, so i took no pictures.

27 by William Glancy, on Flickr

frame spraybombed black (for now, any modifications that may present themselves are simpler with paint. once it's set in stone good i'll powdercoat it. likely next winter)

28 by William Glancy, on Flickr

titanium header to fit onto the akrapovic slip on. built by the frame guy using a gsxr1000 header he had lying around. recycling!

29 by William Glancy, on Flickr

pretty well there

30 by William Glancy, on Flickr
    Djezspin, altek and 1SickVeilsideZ like this.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    and now for the solution to the TB relocation. i designed a throttle body coupler that will retain the fuel injector in the stock location, while allowing me to move the TB to make room for the tank. with this setup there's no need for any fuel controller, the bike is 100% stock for fueling and electronics. runs beautifully.

31 by William Glancy, on Flickr

we printed a prototype in ABS so i could mock it up and test it

32 by William Glancy, on Flickr

once i was sure the application was suitable, i had it printed in steel by shapeways (steel was the cheapest option in metal, didn't want to print in plastic due to fuel and structural requirements)

33 by William Glancy, on Flickr
    altek and 1SickVeilsideZ like this.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    and now for some naked pics. the goal here was to build a proper bike. no bullshit, no shortcuts, no shitty wiring jobs or poorly mounted engines, no compromises, focus on rideability, reliability, and fun. it should tick all those boxes.

you can see i side mounted an ohlins damper (a safety feature i won't go without, who knows what this thing will do if you upset it at 90mph)

there's also a KLS quickshifter for shits and giggles. you'll also see the UHMW chain slider i built. it wasn't overly necessary, it exists ONLY to lift the chain over the kickstand mount when the rear shock is fully extended and the chain is tight on the bottom. again, no compromises. during normal operation the chain is flung over it by the front sprocket, and under mild braking loads the chain clears no problem, however if you're rolling the bike around in the garage the chain would touch the frame, and if you completely unloaded the rear of the bike (heavy braking) it would touch as well. unacceptable.

34 by William Glancy, on Flickr

kept everything nice and tidy, even when the plastics are off

35 by William Glancy, on Flickr

the steering damper. clearance is very tough here so there are a few visible attempts before i got it perfect. i don't mind having the bracket bolted up like this, though i originally intended for the damper mount to be welded to the frame in a single piece.

36 by William Glancy, on Flickr

all the wiring in the rear of the bike. lots done here using oem style connectors, managed to keep the fusebox in about the same place. you can see the KLS shifter box here as well. shorai battery

37 by William Glancy, on Flickr

motion pro expansion tank. sato rearsets.

38 by William Glancy, on Flickr

how the throttle body adapter with fuel injector worked out

39 by William Glancy, on Flickr

40 by William Glancy, on Flickr
    dubSolo and 1SickVeilsideZ like this.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    anodized the radiator

41 by William Glancy, on Flickr

42 by William Glancy, on Flickr

bigger stoppers. why not.

43 by William Glancy, on Flickr

the rear is actually a 220mm rotor. i used a chimera dual bracket and removed the second caliper provision. i did this in preparation of eventually fitting braketech axis iron rotors. they only make fronts but i'll want a set, so 220 front and back it is.

44 by William Glancy, on Flickr

closeup of the ti header, tidy work

45 by William Glancy, on Flickr

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    brembo billet 16x16 to match the p4 30x34 front caliper. sitting beside the switch gear i created (the switch gear i built originally for my rc51, but had extra stuff so i built a set for the grom

46 by William Glancy, on Flickr

cbr 600rr clutch perch with asv lever. custom switch gear again

47 by William Glancy, on Flickr

ignition button is on the front, red is kill switch, white is garage door opener, green is start

48 by William Glancy, on Flickr

left signal is on the front of the switch, blue is high beam, grey is horn, black is right turn signal

49 by William Glancy, on Flickr

more detail of frame bracing and tank mounting

50 by William Glancy, on Flickr

51 by William Glancy, on Flickr

proper exhaust mounting, ohlins shock, mnnthbx swingarm bushings

52 by William Glancy, on Flickr

it's a tight fit

53 by William Glancy, on Flickr

starter relay tucks away nicely behind a frame brace

54 by William Glancy, on Flickr
    Last edited by Wibbly; 05-07-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    1SickVeilsideZ likes this.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    i'll let the assembled pics speak for themselves. after taking all of these i realized i forgot to install the oem hugger. but don't worry it's on there.

when it's all said and done, this bike retains the exact geometry of the original grom. the only difference is it now weights 250lbs (ready to ride, full to the brim) and has a bunch more horsepower, a 6 speed, and water cooling. i feel i have compromised very little in creating this bike, and considering how well it handles and rides, i'm very happy with it. it's only 21 lbs heavier than a stock grom. pretty good.

55 by William Glancy, on Flickr

56 by William Glancy, on Flickr

57 by William Glancy, on Flickr

58 by William Glancy, on Flickr

59 by William Glancy, on Flickr

60 by William Glancy, on Flickr

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links