50-50 Mild Street Build
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

50-50 Mild Street Build

This is a discussion on 50-50 Mild Street Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I've had a Honda CRF50 since about 2007 when pit bikes were still a big thing. Make Pit Bikes Great Again! I set my 50 ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: 50-50 Mild Street Build

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

50-50 Mild Street Build

I've had a Honda CRF50 since about 2007 when pit bikes were still a big thing. Make Pit Bikes Great Again! I set my 50 up for mild street stunt - wheelies and stoppies. You can see my 50 here alongside my 2007 Buell XB12 Scg Lightning. I bought both bikes new and still own them. The Buell was my first and only street bike until I got the Grom.

Ever since I got the 50 I wanted a street legal pit bike. Enter the Grom in 2014. When the Grom was released I was simply enthralled by it! I knew I'd have to have one. Other things kept coming up that I wanted more than the Grom and I had the Buell to keep me content.

Late last year I decided I was going to buy a Grom this spring or summer.

Enter this year and a 15% off eBay coupon in March. That's when my build officially started because I purchased the Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust system. Yep, I had my exhaust almost two months before I bought my Grom.

I've been wanting a red Grom, but I don't like the 2019 shade of red as much as I liked the red of previous years. The Blue Raspberry, which I probably would have hated a few years ago, is now sort of my favorite color. Because of this I decided to go with this blue. I had off Good Friday so I went shopping. Blackman's didn't want to deal. They told me $4,000 OTD for a 2018 without ABS. Martin's told me $3,851.34 OTD for a 2019 non-ABS. Non ABS is a must on a Grom IMO. So I put down $200 so Martin's could order a blue bike for me. On Tuesday I got the call that the bike was in. My girlfriend, who isn't a fan of my motorcycles to begin with, was sick, but she was patient enough to spend almost 3 hours at Martin's. They were jammed packed and selling a lot of bikes that day and I arrived late so I was last on the list.

Anyway, here's my bike as it sat in the dealer's lot before my ride home. It was darker than the picture would lead you to believe so on my first ride I got to test out the headlights. They were much better than expected for being so small.

And the bike the next morning before and after my ride to work. You've all seen Groms by now and most of you own them, but you know how it goes. This is mine so I'm proud of it!

The plan is to do some cosmetic mods (fender eliminator, removing reflectors and warning decals, maybe some levers, etc) installing the Yoshi exhaust, maybe an intake, maybe a cam and definitely a fuel controller.

Which chemicals do you guys use to remove the glue from the safety warning stickers? I know of Goo Gone, but there has to be some other stuff for plastics.

And what do you use to clean your plastics?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Nice pick up.. I used goo gone forever followed up by alcohol to remove stickers on all my bikes.
    I also have a CRF50 stunted out i love that thing, soo much fun.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Nice pick up!!! I swear by the 3m eraser tool that you stick on a drill... Leaves no scratches whatsoever.
    50-50 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonafyd View Post
    Nice pick up.. I used goo gone forever followed up by alcohol to remove stickers on all my bikes.
    I also have a CRF50 stunted out i love that thing, soo much fun.
    Do you have pictures of your "fiddy" online? I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by DRZDUSTIN View Post
    Nice pick up!!! I swear by the 3m eraser tool that you stick on a drill... Leaves no scratches whatsoever.
    That seems like overkill for stickers on a new bike that should, theoretically, come off easily. It doesn't scratch or melt plastic?

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    I miss the old fiddy stunt days. Sunday's at the lot used to look like a circus.
    50-50 and phillybuilt like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Stage 1 of my build was to eliminate that massive and fugly stock, rear fender. Not your typical Stage 1. I remember when they started putting these stupid things on sport bikes. They were about 12" to 18" of plastic on a fullsize bike. But this on a tiny bike like the Grom is insanity.

After lots of research I decided to go with the Yoshimura kit. I like that it used the stock turn signals as I am not a fan of turn signals integrated into the taillight. I also liked the fact that this kit comes with a very small, LED licences plate light. Most of the others use the large, stock license plate light which is kind of an eyesore.

Thanks to eBay the Yoshi fender eliminator kit got to my house in 2 days.

I often try to take lots of photos when building. It helps me remember how things went together if I forget. Photos also seem to come in handy down the line. Plus, they are great for posting on forums like this. In this case I was in a rush to get the kit installed so I didn't take as many photos as I intended.

This, as we know, is how the Grom SF (does that stand for Street Fighter?). The license plate was blacked out because that's what we do. I'm not sure why we do it, but we do. Sorry for the lighting. The iPhone does not take photos as great as people had me convinced when I made the switch...

Let's remove that plastic hunk of crap.

This is what the bike looks like after the removal of the stock fender. So much cleaner just like that!

You have to disassemble the stock fender in order to access the nuts to free the stock turn signals and also to free the stock wiring harness. When I opened this up I was shocked that it had a steel tube frame. Honda is all about high quality and overbuilding things, but this is ridiculous! I wanted to weigh all this stuff I removed, but didn't get a chance. I'm guessing it's around 2 pounds.

In this photo you'll see all of the parts of the fender eliminator that are unused as well as the orange reflectors from the sides of the front fender.

Here's how I ran my wires under the seat. I was careful to keep them away from getting pinched once the seat is installed. Yoshi kindly included three zip ties. My dealer was cool enough to install a battery tender lead (unless they all do that) and you can see that tucked down in the storage compartment.

And here it is installed. I didn't realize the turn signals brackets are held onto the bike by way of the license and license plate cover. Had I known this I may have went with another kit. As long as everything stays tight I don't think it'll be an issue.

At first I did something incorrectly because the rear turn signals would blink, but they wouldn't stay illuminated like marker lights. After asking on here I learned it was just my newbness. The rear turn signals do not stay illuminated whereas the front ones do. Odd.

And here's a side view. It looks so, so much better. The bike even looks lighter with this mod.

I was thinking of going with Yoshi turn signals because they are sequential, but I'm not sure that would actually work on the Grom. Plus, I don't mind the stock turn signals at all.

I also added a Yoshi keychain. I usually take all the keychains off my motorcycles because they just flap around in the wind, but this one was too cool to not pick up and give it a shot. We'll see how long it stays before annoying me.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Another thing I wanted to ask - I see that the oil filler was moved at some point. Mine is in the front whereas I see some are in the rear. Does anybody know when and why this change was made?

is doing grom things

Member #
    Hell yeah another grom stunt build! Don't forget to get a stunt oil pump and a billet clutch plate for it so it doesn't starve for oil during long wheelies. Nice find, the blue looks really good! Also the stock plate holder thingy is super fun to scrape... shave that thing down before you do the fender eliminator!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I hit 118 miles on my Grom this weekend. I'm having a blast. I can't wait to ride it again! The weather hasn't been cooperating. It's been raining too often or I'd have at least double the mileage on it. I filled up for the tank first time as well even though I had a bar or two left. Not yet sure how much range I get from one bar.

I plan to change the oil soon - so somewhere between 100 and 200 miles. I just want to get out the major chunks of metal. I ordered a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug to install when I change the oil. Never used a magnetic drain plug before, but I find them interesting.

The engine is broken in enough for me. I really don't think a small, high revving engine like this needs 500 miles to break in. Maybe somebody has Dyno curves to show otherwise.

But because the engine is no longer brand new I think I'm going to start the mechanical mods. The Yoshi exhaust will be installed first. Maybe this weekend or so. I plan to install exhaust and an ECM on my Buell this weekend before I work on the Grom.

Today I ordered the Power Vision 3 along with the shift shaft support from Hard Racing. Maybe the PV3 is too expensive and more than what I need, but I trust Dynojet and they've proven themselves for decades. Maps also tend to be most prevalent for Dynojet products. Plus, there are local Dyno tuning centers should I ever feel the need. And I think the Grom shifter is fine if a little mushy, but this Hard Racing support bracket sure isn't going to hurt. I also plan to replace the stock shift linkage with heim joints like others have done. I think the bigger issue with the Grom transmission is sloppy shifting from the riders which leads to jumping out of gears, but that's my two cents.

I really want to find a way to make the clutch not suck balls. I've been riding street motorcycles for over 10 years and manual clutch ATVs since the 90's, but somehow the Grom clutch makes me feel like a beginner that doesn't know WTH he's doing. It engages way too far out. Because of this I tend to apply the throttle too early so I'm using more revs than needed and also riding the clutch because it's hard to feel the engagement. The super quiet, stock exhaust also makes it difficult to hear when the revs drop due to the clutch engaging especially when I'm giving it more throttle than what is needed. And not having much torque compounds my problem with the "feel" of the clutch engagement. Shifting and downshifting are also sometimes jerky because I'm so used to having a clutch engage much closer to the bars. Any suggestions how to fix this???

is Living the Dream

Member #
    groms are like a hot chick, can't wait to see her, touch her, and what ever.

In the real grom world, ride it like you stole it

Ride safe
    50-50 likes this.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links