50-50 Mild Street Build - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

50-50 Mild Street Build

This is a discussion on 50-50 Mild Street Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by LordSquirrel The screw is machined so there's a tab on it preventing it from coming out. I tried to get a picture. ...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: 50-50 Mild Street Build

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    The screw is machined so there's a tab on it preventing it from coming out. I tried to get a picture. I'm not sure if you can tell from it. The adjuster screw turns less than a quarter of a turn and gets stopped. I don't know how much they weigh, but I don't think they stick out any more than the stock screw. They look like they're meant to be oem to me, but that's just my opinion.
    Thanks for the photo!

So do you need a proprietary screw if that one ever strips?

The NDC blocks have a C-clip that prevents the adjuster screw from falling out. But this does nothing to keep them tight.

Every single motorcycle I've ever worked on has a lock nut on the adjuster to prevent it from moving. Not having one is a design flaw.

Looks are definitely personal preference.

is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    I dont get why you're worried about the adjusting screw being tight. Once the wheel / swing arm bolt is tightened the adjustment screw does nothing, you could take it out and have no issue.
    It's like the stock adjuster, you could take the nuts and back plate out and it wouldn't make a difference.

Let me know if you don't want them anymore, if these are still like new I'll buy them from you.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I dont get why you're worried about the adjusting screw being tight. Once the wheel / swing arm bolt is tightened the adjustment screw does nothing, you could take it out and have no issue.
    It's like the stock adjuster, you could take the nuts and back plate out and it wouldn't make a difference.

Let me know if you don't want them anymore, if these are still like new I'll buy them from you.
    The adjustment screw helps hold the axle in place. If that wasn't the case you wouldn't see any manufacturer putting a lock nut on their adjuster. I firmly believe that. I don't believe that a tight axle, alone, will prevent it from sliding in all situations.

They are still brand new, but you are in France so I think shipping would be cost prohibitive if I decide to sell them.

I'm probably going to try them and then sell them if I don't like them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    It holds the axle in place while adjusting, kind of...

Look at it this way, if it did anything the screw in question would be much bigger and it would be on both sides (front - rear) of the axle.
    The stock adjuster would prevent the wheel from going forward (watch out for all of those 8-9hp...lol) but nothing would prevent it from sliding backwards if you locked the brake, but that just doesn't happen.

On the Grom the double nut is just used to prevent the ''main'' adjusting nut from falling off. The could have used a lock nut but it's a pain the quickly unscrew.

Yes shipping would be kind of expensive I guess, but that would make no difference if I got it from you or NDC directly. Plus I wouldn't have to pay taxes if it was a private sale. Plus NDC doesn't seem to do Paypal.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    It holds the axle in place while adjusting, kind of...

Look at it this way, if it did anything the screw in question would be much bigger and it would be on both sides (front - rear) of the axle.
    The stock adjuster would prevent the wheel from going forward (watch out for all of those 8-9hp...lol) but nothing would prevent it from sliding backwards if you locked the brake, but that just doesn't happen.

On the Grom the double nut is just used to prevent the ''main'' adjusting nut from falling off. The could have used a lock nut but it's a pain the quickly unscrew.

Yes shipping would be kind of expensive I guess, but that would make no difference if I got it from you or NDC directly. Plus I wouldn't have to pay taxes if it was a private sale. Plus NDC doesn't seem to do Paypal.
    In one scenario the adjustment bolt does absolutely nothing. I don't think that's the case in reality, but I could be completely wrong. In another scenario the adjustment bolt just helps the axle nut keep things in place. I'd rather have two things trying to keep my chain adjusted rather than just one.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    A couple of years ago my girlfriend and I stayed in a hotel in Lancaster. I was filling up my car at a gas station next to the hotel. The pump just so happened to have a Lehigh Valley Supermoto sticker on it. I checked them out immediately online and joined the Facebook group. Lots of those guys have supermoto bikes (duh) as well as Groms.

Anyway, this group was posting about Grom-O-Rama which is a Grom rally at a local dealership. They organized a ride from Bear Creek ski resort to Blackman's. A few of us met up closer to my home and then rode to Bear Creek. The ride was awesome. All back roads which was nice on this all too hot day.

Here are some photos and videos I captured.

They also had $5 dyno runs although the printout only gave you a max horsepower number and that was about it which is really a bummer and pretty useless. I made 9.35 horsepower with my Yoshimura RS-2 and Dyonjet PV3 with tune# 1601103, but that was on a day where it was 102°F. My Grom was acting cold blooded when they put it on the dyno and first started it up. So I'm convinced the tune is less than perfect.

50-50 Mild Street Build-t0d0xnv.jpg

Besides dyno runs they had drag races, a burnout contest, and an empty lot for you to practice your stunts. I didn't stay all day because it was hot as hell.

Here are three of the Groms, including mine, of the 10 or 15 that rode together to Grom-O-Rama.

50-50 Mild Street Build-7abxqxu.jpg

Here's the lineup of bikes, including a few supermotos, that rode up together. Only a couple of those bikes did not ride with us.

They also had new Groms in their cages, err crates. Look at this photo when your dealer tries to charge you a massive setup or assembly fee.

They had a Grom sidecar.

And a Repsol bike which I believe is made with Tyga parts.

I also have a few videos, but it doesn't seem like you can embed Imgur videos here.

is a squirrel

Member #
    I love the little side car. Would definitely buy one just for shits and giggles.

Also look at all the plastic wrapping the dealership has to take off the seat! That's at least 10 man hours worth of assembly

Found the side car! https://industrialmoto.com/gus/
    Last edited by LordSquirrel; 07-22-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    I love the little side car. Would definitely buy one just for shits and giggles.

Also look at all the plastic wrapping the dealership has to take off the seat! That's at least 10 man hours worth of assembly

Found the side car! https://industrialmoto.com/gus/
    Ha! I'll remove the wrapping myself. LOL

That sidecar isn't worth anything close to $1,500 IMO. That's crazy pricing.

The funny thing is the site you linked to appears to have photos of the exact bike that I posted above. It even has "Blackman's", the dealer that held Grom-O-Rama, on the sidecar. The photo from Industrial Moto's site is below.

50-50 Mild Street Build-img_2363.jpg

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    This thread disappeared on me last night. It said it was invalid and I had to contact an administrator. I'm not sure what was up, but thankfully it's back.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I finally got a Dinger Built mid-length intake. His products are hot right now and the mid-length intake was out of stock for weeks before he was able to make more. I want more mid ranger power than screaming top end which is why I wanted the mid length.

It's a beautifully welded, stainless steel piece.

50-50 Mild Street Build-2zenkdo.jpg

He also includes some swag. My favorite piece is the 3D printed Grom keychain!

50-50 Mild Street Build-iab26lk.jpg
    tooter, KBK0 and Bonafyd like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    You're gonna love how well the intake works.

Mine is an early model from before he put logos on them. Also mine was made with the filter pointing downward (before I made it longer). He since changed the design to horizontal which is an improvement. His products are constantly evolving. I'd recommend a filter guard to help keep the filter cleaner and to make the incoming air less turbulent. I got one from China for $16...

50-50 Mild Street Build-img_1017.jpg

...cut it down to fit and it works great.
    Last edited by tooter; 07-23-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    KBK0 likes this.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links