50-50 Mild Street Build - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

50-50 Mild Street Build

This is a discussion on 50-50 Mild Street Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I think I'm going to buy another chain and sprockets (14T front and 34T rear) for my Grom. I'd rather do that than have to ...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 132
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: 50-50 Mild Street Build

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    I think I'm going to buy another chain and sprockets (14T front and 34T rear) for my Grom. I'd rather do that than have to adjust it often.

    Which chain is the most durable - meaning it has the least amount of stretch? I do want to stay with a 420 change and I am set on that. No 428 for me.

    Also, which front AND rear sprockets are the lightest?
    Last edited by 50-50; 07-05-2019 at 01:44 PM.

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom
     
    dubSolo's Avatar
    Member #
    27817
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer
    6,661
    Posts
    755
    Renthal C241 R1 Works 420 pitch, did not have to adjust for a little over a month,,, IMO better than DID I went thru two of those already...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQ42KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


    Sprockets: Vortex or Mnnthbx (Rebel Gears),,, Both are really light aluminum
    https://www.amazon.com/14-19-HONDA-G...+rear+sprocket
    https://mnnthbx.com/product/premium-...ts-honda-grom/

    Sprocket Center RS8 Superlites Lighten Steel, they also sell lighten front 14 tooth: https://sprocketcenter.com/new-super...-125-grom.html
    Last edited by dubSolo; 07-05-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    50-50 likes this.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Yesterday I rode my Buell to work. It takes me a little time to adjust to my Buell after riding the Grom. The Buell is everything that the Grom isn't - heavy, powerful, and the clutch grabs right away whereas the Grom is feather light, anemic, and the clutch doesn't grab until you nearly let go of the clutch lever. This makes adjusting to the Buell "fun" because you have instant torque and tons of it nearly as soon as you start releasing the clutch lever. If you ride the Buell like the Grom, with a fistful of throttle while you plan to release the clutch for a long time before it engages, you'd be on your ass. You have to be very smooth on the Buell which is something that isn't required on the Grom. You can ride the Grom as haphazardly as can be.

    Anyway, after work I put my Buell in the garage and rode my Grom to Spud's in Kutztown with a friend on his Harley. It is about a half hour from my house and the route is mostly twisty back roads which is perfect.

    We were lucky enough to find parking spots on the street directly across from Spud's. No, we are not getting our hair did.




    I also got a fun package in the mail from Webike. I have to say the shipping was inexpensive (I pay more to ship from Hard Racing in Florida or any of the other Grom-specific vendors!) and insanely fast. I placed the order on Saturday, July 6th at 3:47 AM (yes, I was awake way too late) and it arrived yesterday on July 10th! That's super impressive! There are US retailers that don't ship that fast. It was also packaged well unlike some vendors (*cough* Amazon *cough*). It's the Yoshimura ST-1M cam. I'm all about low and mid range power and I've read this cam is one of the best for that. Webike was having a 4th of July sale and the price was unbeatable - $176.23 shipped. I've never seen the ST-1M cam under $200 before.

    Photos of the unassuming box. I'm staying on the race track...I promise.




    Thankfully, I did not pay $21,000 nor 21,000 yen.




    And here's the came itself still in the bag. I didn't want to take it out of the bag. I'll keep it sealed in its oil bath to prevent corrosion.




    I am awaiting Dinger Built mid-length intakes to come back in stock. The cam may go in after that.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #54
    Senior Member
    is a squirrel
     
    LordSquirrel's Avatar
    Member #
    28458
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    Yesterday I rode my Buell to work. It takes me a little time to adjust to my Buell after riding the Grom. The Buell is everything that the Grom isn't - heavy, powerful, and the clutch grabs right away whereas the Grom is feather light, anemic, and the clutch doesn't grab until you nearly let go of the clutch lever. This makes adjusting to the Buell "fun" because you have instant torque and tons of it nearly as soon as you start releasing the clutch lever. If you ride the Buell like the Grom, with a fistful of throttle while you plan to release the clutch for a long time before it engages, you'd be on your ass. You have to be very smooth on the Buell which is something that isn't required on the Grom. You can ride the Grom as haphazardly as can be.

    Anyway, after work I put my Buell in the garage and rode my Grom to Spud's in Kutztown with a friend on his Harley. It is about a half hour from my house and the route is mostly twisty back roads which is perfect.
    Same with my CBR. I'd get on and first the seating position throws you off, then the clutch grab, and the throttle response. Everything feels so much..... tighter. If you give it WOT like the grom you're gonna have a bad time. Or a really short good time depending on your appetite for thrill.

    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    We were lucky enough to find parking spots on the street directly across from Spud's. No, we are not getting our hair did.
    So you were getting new wigs?
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

  6. #55
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    So you were getting new wigs?
    I see how it is!

  7. #56
    Senior Member
    is a squirrel
     
    LordSquirrel's Avatar
    Member #
    28458
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    277
    Oh 50-50 I forgot I wanted to ask how hard it is to find a front rotor for the Buell? I've never seen something like that. Any other hard to find parts?
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

  8. #57
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    Oh 50-50 I forgot I wanted to ask how hard it is to find a front rotor for the Buell? I've never seen something like that. Any other hard to find parts?
    The brake disc is a stock piece and not hard to find at all. It's not cheap though at around $325 though! Every part that I've looked for, which hasn't been too many, can be found new so I wouldn't say there are many hard to find parts for the XB Buells at this point. But they are very reliable and durable bikes believe it or not so you shouldn't need parts often.

    My biggest concern is the future availability of the tank (really an airbox cover) and front wind screen plastic piece especially the translucent colors like the Cherry Bomb Red on mine.

  9. #58
    Senior Member
    is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist
     
    David's Avatar
    Member #
    4422
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South East France
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I am awaiting Dinger Built mid-length intakes to come back in stock. The cam may go in after that.
    You must be the most patient Gromer ever lol I'd have the cam in before the delivery guy even took off!
    I have the same cam and like it a lot, I tried a TB cam for a while but just couldn't stand the delivery, felt like nothing happened before 7K. I went back to the Yoshimura cam and I'm happy to trade a few mph for rideability. Plus the fact the TB cam is not a regrind but it's shaped like one, that's just stupid. At least it's very cheap.
    50-50 likes this.

  10. #59
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    You must be the most patient Gromer ever lol I'd have the cam in before the delivery guy even took off!
    I have the same cam and like it a lot, I tried a TB cam for a while but just couldn't stand the delivery, felt like nothing happened before 7K. I went back to the Yoshimura cam and I'm happy to trade a few mph for rideability. Plus the fact the TB cam is not a regrind but it's shaped like one, that's just stupid. At least it's very cheap.
    Haha! I'm typically a very impatient person. The Grom is slow so it forces you to be patient when riding it. I've also been patient with installing the mods so I can get a good feel on the old butt dyno as well as some performance numbers in my "Dragy" device before performing an additional modification. I would like to put on the intake before the cam anyway. I may also install the 14T front sprocket before the cam. To be determined...

  11. #60
    Senior Member
    is Living the Dream
     

    Member #
    457
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    San Jose Calif
    Posts
    8,124
    I also got a fun package in the mail from Webike. I have to say the shipping was inexpensive

    yep I alway scan JapanWebike for deals and I always find good deals and shipping is fast, that is how I got my 5-Axis ported 181-4v Takegawa kit, cylinder/piston/5-axis head/cam/inlet tube for $995 including shipping.

    Another good vendor is TYGA of Thailand, good prices fast shipping
    50-50 likes this.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Alex's Grom Mild Build
    By Alex_Grom&Ruck in forum Grom Builds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-13-2019, 09:01 PM
  2. [Build] my street/race/stunt grom build
    By STR8GROMN in forum Grom Builds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 06:24 AM
  3. BOTWALKIE's Mini street/race Build
    By botwalkie in forum Grom Builds
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 11:31 PM
  4. MILD "FAM" Tee - Unofficial Super Supday 2014 Shirt - Pre-Order
    By fatphos in forum Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 07:01 AM

Tags for this Thread