50-50 Mild Street Build - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

50-50 Mild Street Build

This is a discussion on 50-50 Mild Street Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; yep, $400+ with HR and you're package will need a signature. I've had to juggle quite a few things around to be home for a ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 50-50 Mild Street Build

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    yep, $400+ with HR and you're package will need a signature. I've had to juggle quite a few things around to be home for a HR shipment. But they sure do ship their items out fast, even if your in San Diego.
    50-50 likes this.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
    I ordered the Vagabond fender kit, it should be here by Friday!

Can't wait

https://www.vagabondmotorsports.com/...der-eliminator
    I've got same one and it is nice, you'll like it
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is just riding.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
    I ordered the Vagabond fender kit, it should be here by Friday!

Can't wait

https://www.vagabondmotorsports.com/...der-eliminator

Been using that same one for 4 years straight and I love it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    yep, $400+ with HR and you're package will need a signature. I've had to juggle quite a few things around to be home for a HR shipment. But they sure do ship their items out fast, even if your in San Diego.
    Signature is one thing, but adult signature required is a royal pain in the balls. You have to be present when the signature is made. I'm going to try to take an early lunch today to get my stuff since the post office is closed at lunch.

I did get smaller shipments last night which includes:

-Gold Plug magnetic drain plug (MP-01) and extra crush washers (SW-03).
    -Male M8 Heim Joint (CM-M8) and Female M8 Heim Joint (CW-M8) to make a shift linkage from McMaster-Carr. I plan to source the hardware locally.

tooter likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I also have a gold plug coming soon. They're much nicer than my home made one. I think magnetic plugs are better than oil filters because there's no limit on how small the particles are that they can capture. Had one in my Suzuki from when it was brand new and the engine is still in great running condition after 35,000+ miles. Good compression, no smoke, no burned oil.
    2018 GROM:
    TST Rear Fender Eliminator
    TST Taillight +Signal Lights
    TST Front Signal Lights
    Dinger Built Extra Long Intake
    IXIL Dual Exhaust
    Yuminashi ECU
    Kitaco Case Cover w/Oil Filter
    Takagawa High Volume Oil Pump
    Honda Monkey Rear Sets
    Honda Monkey Front Fender
    Honda Monkey Fork Guards
    Honda Black Plastics
    G Craft Rear Rack
    Cargo Crate

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    With an EZ clutch I'm sure. I'm still on the stock levers and not sure what I want to switch to. Springs are cheap enough to replace them if the 30% isn't stiff enough for me. I think the RSC stuff is expensive for not offering adjustability of lever position like ASV, CRG, Pazzo, etc.
    The RSC does have adjustable lever positions, its a set screw/lock nut instead of on-the-fly like the other ones you listed. But I get that they aren't cheap.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 05-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    I also have a gold plug coming soon. They're much nicer than my home made one. I think magnetic plugs are better than oil filters because there's no limit on how small the particles are that they can capture. Had one in my Suzuki from when it was brand new and the engine is still in great running condition after 35,000+ miles. Good compression, no smoke, no burned oil.
    I've never used a magnetic drain plug before so I'm not sure if I'll even like it. I do know that some brands ship their vehicles with magnetic plugs from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    The RSC does have adjustable lever positions, its a set screw/lock nut instead of on-the-fly like the other ones you listed. But I get that they aren't cheap.
    That's lame IMO. For the price they should be adjustable on the fly.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I guess I forgot to update this thread with anything!

I failed to mention that, like a freaking idiot, I lost a nut down the subframe tube when installing the Yoshimura fender eliminator. I ran to the local hardware store and they had this flexible magnet from Master Magnetics that saved my ass. It easily pulled the nut out of the subframe.

I received my HR shipment a while ago (obviously) as well as an order from Steady Garage.

Hard Racing-Hard Racing shift shaft support
    -Dynojet Power Vision 3
    -Hard Racing T-shirt (hard to beat a shirt for $6)

Steady Garage
    -Chimera CNC clutch plate
    -Sex Machine Racing 30% stiffer clutch springs

I also got a dragy to measure stock performance and measure the performance of upgrades. I couldn't find an iOS performance app that worked reliably so when I asked on a Facebook group somebody recommended dragy. It's not cheap at $150, but it is very cool and is said to be very accurate. It's a fun toy.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    My girlfriend also got me a tool cart from Harbor Freight for my birthday. I wanted it to make working on my bikes easier. My current toolbox is small and a mess.

I wanted to change my oil around 250 miles which was the mid point between new and the first service. This didn't happen, but I did get around to it with around 400 miles.

I started by removing the exhaust. One, it was going to make the oil change a little easier and I also wanted to install the Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust anyway.

Here's my oil screen. It's filled with what looks to be gasket material, some blue chunks of which I don't know the origin and grey stuff that seems to be engine sealant. The spinner was also filthy with a grey, metallic sludge. I'm glad I didn't delay the change. I did reuse the stock gaskets on both the oil spinner and clutch cover. This will come back to bite me in the ass as you will see.

Honda did make it a PITA to get the clutch cover off because you have to angle it just perfect to get it off and on. And the lower left bolt is just impossible to get to with a socket. I have to use a short socket on a 1/4" ratchet. Just one oil change has me considering the Kitaco cover, but I'm really not convinced I want to lose the spinner weight. Sure, it'll rev faster, but it's not going to be able to lug around like it can now.

Here you can see the sludge from the oil spinner. Nasty stuff.

I did not add the stiffer clutch springs or Chimera clutch plate. I want to tap the 3 other posts on the clutch back plate and install bolts. These pieces can be very fragile so I just want to be sure and be safe that the stiffer springs won't cause an issue.

Up next is installing the Hard Racing shift shaft support. It's an easy install.

The most difficult part of installing this piece is getting the cotter pin out of the shift linkage and that's only because it's awkward to get to. You have to do this in order to slide the shift linkage lever off of the shift shaft. I marked it with a Sharpie so that I could install it back in the same spot.

Here's the before photo where the HR shift shaft bracket will go.

And here's the bracket installed. After a little ride this morning I can say that this bracket didn't do anything. Many people have said it makes such a difference, but I'm thinking that's a placebo effect. I will say that it's a high quality piece and it certainly won't hurt. I also have to say I didn't have the complaints about the transmission that some do. Neutral is plenty easy to find and I haven't missed a shift or had it pop out of gear.

Lastly, let's install the Yoshi exhaust! Damn, she's pretty! This install is about as simple and straightforward as you can get. The only minor annoyance was that the socket rubbed against the head pipe when installing one of the nuts on the header stud.

I love attention to detail and the Yoshimura logo on the high temp rubber on the springs is awesome!

And here it is installed. I then reset the ECU rather than installing the Dynojet PV3. I want to see the performance with the stock ECU versus the Dynojet map. I will say I immediately noticed a difference as expected. The exhaust just lets the engine flow a little bit better. It revs more freely and I can easily reach 60 MPH whereas before I could only max out at 56 MPH.

Remember when I said reusing the gasket would come back to bite me in the ass? Well the morning after this exhaust install I rode to work. At lunch I wanted to go for another ride and I noticed a small oil spot under the bike. There was no oil under the bike in the garage after sitting all night! So I rode the bike home and checked it out. Sure enough oil was leaking out of the gasket seal. And it got some on my brand new exhaust! Ugh! WTF! I was being lazy by not replacing the gasket and it bit me. I didn't find a tear, but there was an "odd spot" in the gasket and sometimes that's all it takes. So guess what I did this weekend...yep, I changed the oil again and this time I installed the new gasket I had sitting in the box. This is the only time in my life that I can remember being bitten by reusing a gasket.

I also picked up some Bar Keeper's Friend, per Yoshimura's instructions, to clean the oil off of the exhaust. I picked up the MORE flavor since Yoshimura doesn't name the specific one. The MORE does not have any abrasives in it. I like this stuff!

50-50 Mild Street Build-071618117237.jpg

Next up is riding some more and using dragy to get baseline performance numbers with just the Yoshi exhaust and ECU reset. Then I want to do the intake mod(s) and another ECU reset. I want to at least remove the backfire screen. I'm not sure if I will remove the tube inside the airbox. I like mid range and I can imagine you'd lose mid range by removing the tube.

After this I will connect the PV3, flash a new map and then get some more performance numbers.

Lastly, I want to get an intake. I'm leaning towards the Dinger mid length. I'm just worried about the weight it's going to add.
    Last edited by 50-50; 06-03-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    grommyk and FluxCapacitor like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I picked up some OG Enkei wheels from grommyk for $215 shipped. They are in really good shape with minor scratches from normal wear and tear so I feel like I got a deal. I’m hoping the lighter weight makes a real improvement on performance like physics say they should.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50-50 Mild Street Build-7c7194b0-987f-4bdd-899d-9bdf8d38eafb_1559701013591.jpg  
    grommyk likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links