50-50 Mild Street Build - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

50-50 Mild Street Build

This is a discussion on 50-50 Mild Street Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by 50-50 And I think the Grom shifter is fine if a little mushy, but this Hard Racing support bracket sure isn't going ...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 132
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: 50-50 Mild Street Build

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist
     
    David's Avatar
    Member #
    4422
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    South East France
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    And I think the Grom shifter is fine if a little mushy, but this Hard Racing support bracket sure isn't going to hurt. I also plan to replace the stock shift linkage with heim joints like others have done.
    The helm joints mod is cheap and made a great difference on mine, really recommend it!

    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I really want to find a way to make the clutch not suck balls. I've been riding street motorcycles for over 10 years and manual clutch ATVs since the 90's, but somehow the Grom clutch makes me feel like a beginner that doesn't know WTH he's doing. It engages way too far out. Because of this I tend to apply the throttle too early so I'm using more revs than needed and also riding the clutch because it's hard to feel the engagement. The super quiet, stock exhaust also makes it difficult to hear when the revs drop due to the clutch engaging especially when I'm giving it more throttle than what is needed. And not having much torque compounds my problem with the "feel" of the clutch engagement. Shifting and downshifting are also sometimes jerky because I'm so used to having a clutch engage much closer to the bars. Any suggestions how to fix this???
    You're exactly describing what I don't like with the stock clutch. Order a Kitaco 60% stiffer clutch springs set (about 15-20$ for all 6!) and replace either 3 springs (the ones under the bolts) or all 6.
    I personally use 3 stiffer springs on the 125 and the feel is so much better, makes the engagement point very easy to find and to work with.
    For the rest I'm using a stock plate and stock discs, never had an issue with those.
    50-50 and phillybuilt like this.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The helm joints mod is cheap and made a great difference on mine, really recommend it!
    Good to know about the heim joint link. I definitely plan to do that mod.

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    You're exactly describing what I don't like with the stock clutch. Order a Kitaco 60% stiffer clutch springs set (about 15-20$ for all 6!) and replace either 3 springs (the ones under the bolts) or all 6.
    I personally use 3 stiffer springs on the 125 and the feel is so much better, makes the engagement point very easy to find and to work with.
    For the rest I'm using a stock plate and stock discs, never had an issue with those.
    Thank you! That information really helps. I saw there are a lot of clutch spring options - Barnett, EBC, Sex Machine, Kitaco offers springs with various stiffness, etc. I just wasn't sure which stiffness I want to get. I want an improvement in clutch engagement and feel without having a super stiff clutch.

    One thing that seems to be popping up is that I have noticed that sometimes I think I've down shifted all the way to 1st when I'm coming to a stop. I keep pushing down on the lever to make sure it's in 1st. But when I go to pull out I notice it's not in first gear so I have to click down on the lever again and then I feel it going into first. Anybody experiencing this? What gives?
    Last edited by 50-50; 05-06-2019 at 08:42 AM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    is doing grom things
     
    phillybuilt's Avatar
    Member #
    20097
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    369
    I would suggest skipping the heim joint mod and going right for the TBparts shifter. That plus the hard racing shift shaft support bracket makes it a totally different bike.

    And David is on point, get the stiffest spring you can buy which I think is the 60%. Pair that with the billet plate and you're ready to pop wheelies without worry of breaking the cast plate.

    Don't forget the stunt oil pump either! Super important piece of the puzzle.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    50-50 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by phillybuilt View Post
    I would suggest skipping the heim joint mod and going right for the TBparts shifter. That plus the hard racing shift shaft support bracket makes it a totally different bike.

    And David is on point, get the stiffest spring you can buy which I think is the 60%. Pair that with the billet plate and you're ready to pop wheelies without worry of breaking the cast plate.

    Don't forget the stunt oil pump either! Super important piece of the puzzle.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I don't like the idea of bolting a shifter right onto the shift shaft. Street bikes have linkages to protect the shift shaft in a crash. Dropping a bike onto the shift lever that is bolted directly to the shift shaft can cause a lot of damage. That's not a risk I'm willing to take. I'll live with the upgrade linkage and HR support bracket.

    I did run to my local Ace Hardware and they have lots of hardware, but they did not have small heim joints so I'll have to order the parts online.

    I don't know that I'll be stunting the Grom enough to need the oil pump with the tube, but I am keeping that in mind. Are there any brands besides Straight Up?
    phillybuilt likes this.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    is doing grom things
     
    phillybuilt's Avatar
    Member #
    20097
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I don't like the idea of bolting a shifter right onto the shift shaft. Street bikes have linkages to protect the shift shaft in a crash. Dropping a bike onto the shift lever that is bolted directly to the shift shaft can cause a lot of damage. That's not a risk I'm willing to take. I'll live with the upgrade linkage and HR support bracket.

    I did run to my local Ace Hardware and they have lots of hardware, but they did not have small heim joints so I'll have to order the parts online.

    I don't know that I'll be stunting the Grom enough to need the oil pump with the tube, but I am keeping that in mind. Are there any brands besides Straight Up?
    I totally understand that part of it. For what its worth, the shifter has a foldable end, just like a dirtbike does.

    Even just the bracket will make you feel like you're riding a different bike. Big positive difference for sure.

    There are a few, I'm partial to straight up pumps though. He is a forum member, and does excellent work. I was impressed with the turnaround time, and the fit and finish as well. Same pump is still going strong no issues to report.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    50-50 likes this.

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    This morning I ordered the Chimera clutch lifter spring plate and Sex Machine 30% springs. I've read lots of bad about the Koso plate so I avoided that. And 60% springs seem like overkill on a stock engine. I will find out. But I figured I might as well install these parts when I tear off the side cover for the first oil change.
    Djezspin likes this.

  8. #17
    Senior Member
    is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.
     
    solidjohnny's Avatar
    Member #
    22833
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Honolulu, Hi
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    This morning I ordered the Chimera clutch lifter spring plate and Sex Machine 30% springs. I've read lots of bad about the Koso plate so I avoided that. And 60% springs seem like overkill on a stock engine. I will find out. But I figured I might as well install these parts when I tear off the side cover for the first oil change.
    I ran all six 60% springs when my grom was stock bore, it was perfect when paired with the RSC clutch perch.
    phillybuilt and 50-50 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    I ran all six 60% springs when my grom was stock bore, it was perfect when paired with the RSC clutch perch.
    With an EZ clutch I'm sure. I'm still on the stock levers and not sure what I want to switch to. Springs are cheap enough to replace them if the 30% isn't stiff enough for me. I think the RSC stuff is expensive for not offering adjustability of lever position like ASV, CRG, Pazzo, etc.

  10. #19
    Senior Member
    is between rain storms :-)
     
    FluxCapacitor's Avatar
    Member #
    31500
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Odometer
    3048
    Posts
    124
    I ordered the Vagabond fender kit, it should be here by Friday!

    Can't wait

    https://www.vagabondmotorsports.com/...der-eliminator
    50-50 and Djezspin like this.

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4603
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Boyertown
    Odometer
    65
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
    I ordered the Vagabond fender kit, it should be here by Friday!

    Can't wait

    https://www.vagabondmotorsports.com/...der-eliminator

    Looks like a nice piece! I like how the turn signal mount is integrated into the bracket. I wish the Yoshi was like that.

    So the post office tried to deliver my PV3. Apparently Hard Racing requires a signature which 1. is retarded and 2. I didn't see them state ANYWHERE that a signature was required. I'm annoyed to say the least. You spend almost $450 with them, don't get free shipping (every other place I shop would give free shipping after spending a half of that or less) and then they don't tell you that a signature is required. The customer service was excellent before the order though. They answered all my questions. And they preload the maps onto the PV3. And that's why I went with them.
    Last edited by 50-50; 05-08-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Alex's Grom Mild Build
    By Alex_Grom&Ruck in forum Grom Builds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-13-2019, 09:01 PM
  2. [Build] my street/race/stunt grom build
    By STR8GROMN in forum Grom Builds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 06:24 AM
  3. BOTWALKIE's Mini street/race Build
    By botwalkie in forum Grom Builds
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-02-2015, 11:31 PM
  4. MILD "FAM" Tee - Unofficial Super Supday 2014 Shirt - Pre-Order
    By fatphos in forum Parts for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 07:01 AM

Tags for this Thread