Build: Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build. Grom!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build. Grom!

This is a discussion on Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build. Grom! within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hey all, first time poster, frequent lurker. After my Vespa GTS got totaled in a minor fender-bender, I went ahead and replaced it with a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build. Grom!

is loving Grom life!

Member #
    Odometer

Lightbulb Grom Chapman - the no-Gromsense grommuter build. Grom!

Hey all, first time poster, frequent lurker. After my Vespa GTS got totaled in a minor fender-bender, I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new 2018 Grom ABS which I am super stoked about!
    Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-inked20190426_165822_li.jpgWallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-20190426_165748.jpg

This is my only bike, so I use it for everything. I'm a year-round commuter, plus I usually go for fun rides on the weekends. Don't do any stunting or off-roading, and I don't need to do any highway riding so stock performance is adequate (for now ). That makes my priorities look something like:
    1. Safety
    2. Comfort
    3. Cost
    4. Cargo space

This forum has provided invaluable insights into Grom life and identifying parts and modifications. I'd like to contribute back by putting together what, for me, is a good blending of the disparate threads I've read.

I'll put in links to the parts I'm using. Most of them will be Grom-specific, though I'll also be adapting some of the gear I had for my Vespa to use it on the Grom.

Phase 0 - Stock Grom, as delivered
    Phase 1 - Get the Grom set up to bare minimum for me to do my work commute.
    Phase 2 - Simple bolt-on upgrades to improve the bike (ergonomoics, protection, aux. electrical, etc.)
    Phase 2.5 - Smoother shifting
    Phase 3 - Ready for winter commuting, maybe some performance enhancement?
    Phase 4 - ???
    Last edited by FuriousD; 05-22-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: I renamed my bike! And added links to the different phases

is loving Grom life!

Member #
    Odometer

Post Phase 1

In this phase of the build, I did the following:

1. Install Vagabond fender eliminator and cargo rack.
    2. Install milk crate, using a Vagabond clamp plate.
    3. Install AF1 Sport Mirrors (Vespa GTS)
    4. Install RAM Zinc-coated U-bolt mounting base.
    5. Install a badge holder.

After:
    Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-inked4_15_li.jpgWallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-2_13.jpg
    Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-1_12.jpg

Before:
    Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-20190426_165748.jpgWallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-20190426_165730.jpg
    Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-20190426_165741.jpg

Notes:
    1. The bolts on the Vagabond fender eliminator DETACHED during installation! I was using a torque wrench, and both bolts pulled out at maybe half of the specified torque. I've emailed Vagabond about this issue and will update when I receive a response. In the meantime, I used two 20mm M8 bolts in their place (fed up through the plate, secured by the Vagabond-supplied flange nuts under the seat). **UPDATE** Vagabond quickly sent me a replacement fender eliminator, they stand by their products with a lifetime warranty.
    2. To steady the milk crate, I cut a piece of 1/2" PVC panel, left over from when I replaced the shelf under my sink, to fit the base of the crate. It sits underneath - the clamp plate goes through the crate, the panel, and then into the cargo rack using the supplied screws.
    3. The sport mirrors just happen to be a perfect size for the Grom; the stock mirrors are too narrow that I couldn't see behind me while riding. Just remember to remove the thread adaptors from the Grom, those things were cranked on TIGHT!
    4. N/A
    5. I used some strips of Scotch Extreme Fasteners - this stuff is perfect for affixing things like the badge holder, an E-Z pass, etc. I need this because my workplace has a security checkpoint for vehicles and need to be able to readily whip out my ID for inspection. The back of the speedometer seemed like the best place. I can also stick my E-Z pass here if I'm going through tolls.

Next steps (parts on hand or en route):
    • Corbin seat
    • OTB chain adjusters and spools
    • Axle, handlebar, and frame sliders
    • A relay-switched fuse block for powering accessories
    • Heated grips
    • USB charger
    • Tire Inflator
    • Under-seat toolkit
    • Windscreen
    Last edited by FuriousD; 04-29-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added Vagabond response

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Groms are great for cheap efficient utility transportation!
    And while I don't use my Grom for commuting as I need a work truck in my job, I do use it for everything else.
    If you can get by, a smaller crate works well without any extra support.

Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-img_1028.jpg

I also did other mods with a goal of reducing weight and simplifying the bike. Rear fender delete, exhaust, rear sets, front fender, LED signals. So far I lightened the bike by 13 pounds. Less weight makes the bike handle easier and perform better.
    Last edited by tooter; 04-29-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability and gas mileage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is loving Grom life!

Member #
    Odometer
    Nice; I like what you've done there! The milk crate and support panel were both from my Vespa; I was using it because I had it mounted directly to the seat and wanted to protect the leather.

A new rear set is definitely on my wish-list, but I'm going to start with a new seat and then adjust the handlebars before I do the rear set. Haven't decided if I'll buy a new bar or use some kind of riser, though. Once the seat gets installed (arrives on Wednesday ) I'll figure out what adjustments are needed for my arms and then the feet. Some kind of highway-peg like setup would be nice, too, to really stretch out on longer rides.

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Looking good and welcome to the forum.

I originally picked my Grom up just commuting to and from work. Be careful, modifying the Grom can get out of control pretty quick and you won't know what hit you until it's too late
    tooter likes this.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by FuriousD View Post
    Nice; I like what you've done there! The milk crate and support panel were both from my Vespa; I was using it because I had it mounted directly to the seat and wanted to protect the leather.

A new rear set is definitely on my wish-list, but I'm going to start with a new seat and then adjust the handlebars before I do the rear set. Haven't decided if I'll buy a new bar or use some kind of riser, though. Once the seat gets installed (arrives on Wednesday ) I'll figure out what adjustments are needed for my arms and then the feet. Some kind of highway-peg like setup would be nice, too, to really stretch out on longer rides.
    You have the right order... user interfaces for more comfort. Seat, bars, pegs. The Monkey rear sets don't alter the position of the pegs. I did them just to reduce bike weight.

Wallace and Gromit - the no-Gromsense grommuter build.  Grom!-htvdv4f.jpg

is loving Grom life!

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    [...] Be careful, modifying the Grom can get out of control pretty quick and you won't know what hit you until it's too late
    Hah! I can see that for sure. Once I get this last set of parts on, I'm cutting myself off. Don't even have 100 miles on the bike yet! And I'm already pouring over what I can do next...
    Djezspin and tooter like this.

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Hah! I can see that for sure. Once I get this last set of parts on, I'm cutting myself off. Don't even have 100 miles on the bike yet! And I'm already pouring over what I can do next...
    Good luck with that. I've tried it, more than a few times, lol. I just placed another damn order for another damn part, smh.
    tooter likes this.
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    The very first day I had my Grom I ordered $600+ worth of tail tidy, led taillight, led blinkers, and exhaust.

This user has no status.

Member #
    hang on a minute, whose build thread is this!?

looking good furiousD, the grom is a really solid utility bike for zipping around town.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links