No Spark!! Help!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

No Spark!! Help!

This is a discussion on No Spark!! Help! within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hey guys, So I've got a problem with my pretty heavily modded 2018. I was riding down the street with everything running fine and suddenly ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: No Spark!! Help!

This user has no status.

Member #

No Spark!! Help!

Hey guys,

So I've got a problem with my pretty heavily modded 2018. I was riding down the street with everything running fine and suddenly the engine stopped firing and the tac dropped immediately from 6k to nothing. I tried starting but only had the starter whirl and no ignition.
    When I eventually walked the bike home I started troubleshooting and eventually found that I wasn't getting any spark from the plug.
    So I tried swapping plugs and seeing if i could get a spark holding it near the engine/another piece of metal, no luck there. I then took off the aftermarket ignition coil and slapped the stock coil back on, still no spark. Checked (and replaced for the hell of it) the three fuses under the seat and they were fine. Also checked to make sure the grounds were secured and not frayed or damaged.

So right now I'm thinking it could either be a short in the harness, though everything else electrical is working fine (PCV, wb2, aracer mini 4c, heat gauge, afr gauge). Or it could be a stator problem maybe? Not sure how linked the stator and ignition system are.

What do you guys think?

Mod List:
    Takagawa 181 BBK
    Finbro larger valve header
    Performance Cam Shaft
    Oil cooler
    High flow oil pump
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takagawa HD clutch springs
    Koso 34mm throttle body
    Chimera 34mm air intake
    Yoshimura exhaust
    Aracer mini4c ecu
    Power commander v
    Wideband 2

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    So some have had issues with the connectors behind the headlight, add that area to your preliminary checks.
    mikochu likes this.
    2017 Grom
    Kitaco NEO 181 2V / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / OPMID 2 Temp / RPM Dual Gauge Mount
    Koso 34mm TB / Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / Port Matched Head
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    Michelin PP SC2's / EBC Vee-Rotors & HH Pads / 15/32t & 420NZ3 Chain / SpeedoDRD
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Usually the Aracer mini 4c is a stand alone ECU and I assume you wanted to add the PCV-WB02 to monitor and change A/F ratio and mapping of the ECU and timing.

To me your problem seems to be the engine, either the flywheel woodruff key snapped or the cam sprocket key snapped.

remove the spark plug, remove the head's cam cover, remove the inspection plug for the timing and the bigger plug for the 17mm socket and rotate the engine and see if the flywheel turns and goes to TDC and the cam gear goes to the "0" pointer and the piston comes up to TDC, if all those work than the engine componets might be ok since no mechanical problem rotating the flywheel, cam or piston. You can also check compression at this time also.

Second check is to make sure the PCV-WB02 passes self-test plus you should be able to see the lights on the WB02 flicker and go solid.

Make sure you have power to the PCV-WB02, might have lost a fuse to that unit.

Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey Cisco thanks for the reply. I've gone in and pulled the header off to check the piston to see if I had blown it up and it seemed to check out fine. While pulling it off I was able to get it to TDC and the "O" lined up fine and while i was rotating it with the 17mm the engine seemed to build a normal amount of pressure. So I believe all the engine components are fine. You're right on with why I have the Aracer and pcv/wbc2 and I checked those and they seem to be fine (light blinked and then went solid).

As for the previous posts comment I did go under the front light cover and checked and all connections seemed fine and all electronics running off those wires are working fine.

So I'm going to order a new stator and hope the problem is that's it's just not generating enough current to fire the ignition coil... pulling my hair out with this thing.

the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Could be a short in the wire harness somewhere, check the coil pack wire coming from the ECU. The other thing to do is to eliminate some of your add-ons. Disconnect your PCV from the harness and such and check for spark again.
    2017 Grom
    Kitaco NEO 181 2V / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB / Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / Port Matched Head
    Michelin PP SC2's / EBC Vee-Rotors & HH Pads / 15/32t & 420NZ3 Chain / SpeedoDRD
    Seat Concepts

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Djezspin View Post
    Could be a short in the wire harness somewhere, check the coil pack wire coming from the ECU. The other thing to do is to eliminate some of your add-ons. Disconnect your PCV from the harness and such and check for spark again.
    Yep removing the PCV-WB02 will reduce the problem to the Aracer maybe and if need be put the OEM ECU back on just to see if it would fire the engine.

Good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    the first thing i'd check is the pulse generator.

the ignition system on these bikes is shockingly crude. if the PG isn't giving a crank position signal to the ECU there can be no spark.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hey guys thanks again for all the advice. It did turn out to be the PCV. I unhooked it and connected the aracer directly to the harness and it fired right up. So now going to give dynojet a call and try and figure out what's going with that.
    Djezspin likes this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by krod1757 View Post
    Hey guys thanks again for all the advice. It did turn out to be the PCV. I unhooked it and connected the aracer directly to the harness and it fired right up. So now going to give dynojet a call and try and figure out what's going with that.
    So good going for now,

What I would do is use the Aracer mini 4c as the adjustment for timing, base map for all range, 30% throttle, 70% throttle and you can use the WB02 as a stand alone A/F monitor.

I think your problem is the Aracer and the PCV is fighting for control of the A/F mixture and for me I think it is a bad setup for your engine. You either going to need the stock ECM with the PCV-WB02 or the Aracer mini 4c by itself.

Good luck

The video below should help you out setting up the Aracer mini-4c

the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    Glad that worked for you. It could be the PCV, but I would give the wiring harness a good look. Both the bikes and the PCV harness. I had a slight rub through the shielding of a wire on my PCV harness. Very very small one. I had no issues as it was a ground wire but it was still there and I corrected it. Hopefully it is in fact a PCV issue because personally, I hate tracking shorts in wires, lol.
    2017 Grom
    Seat Concepts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links