Build: Super Stock dirt SF - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Super Stock dirt SF

This is a discussion on Super Stock dirt SF within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I will answer why I went BBK kit via 2V or 4V. First off I met a few grom owners with the super 125cc kit ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Super Stock dirt SF

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I will answer why I went BBK kit via 2V or 4V.

First off I met a few grom owners with the super 125cc kit that REN sells or other vendors sell. For one thing the super 125 kit is great for reliability and will cruz all day 70-80mph with the correct ECM, airbox, exhaust, and mapping.

I had both the 2V kits 170cc and 183cc and now the 4V kits Takegawa 181-4v.
    From having been one of the first grom owners testing and tuning both these types of kit I found out that things to consider is good A/F mapping, good cooling, and correct gearing setup.

The main thing that I realized that hindered all my builds may it be 2V or 4V kits was the CCV system. With out going into details I sure if I had found the right CCV system I would maybe still be running 2V engines. CCV= Crank Case Venting. As I said with out understanding internal crank case pressure, blow-by and such I would never have gotten my engine to last and run as good as they do now.

Finding the right ECM system is the second most important area most grom builders need to take into consideration. I'll let the builder decide how much they can spend or money wasted to figure out what works or not.

Most grom owners on this website need to read everything on this website pertaining to building a good engine and decide what hardware they can afford or should buy for their type of riding style or what they want to accomplish in your build.

Below I will list the items that I think that is important for any grom build starting with mild build to wild build.
    1. remove oil spinner and replace with Kitaco Clutch side cover. "advantage, you get a real oil filter, ports for external oil cooler, reduced spinning weight"
    2. Mod airbox or aftermarket air-box system
    3. full exhaust system, "NO crappy slip on's, want noise drill some holes in your stock muffler"
    4. 60% stiffer clutch spring esp if you are going BBK, anything less than 60% you will experience slippage
    5. Port match any intake or exhaust port on the head with the hardware you are using.
    6. Porting of the intake on the head is very important for HP
    7. CCV, get a good Crank Case Venting system, there is a lot of choice out there some good and some not so good.
    8. get the correct F/I for your engine.
    9. Reduce weight either on the grom or on yourself will help out the total experience in Hot Rodding the grom.

Good Luck all and ride safe.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by altek View Post
    I'd rather keep the stock bore and maintain as much of the Honda reliability as I can. I've heard good things about about RMW kits, so I figured if I was going to spend the coin, may as well try to keep the problems to a minimum. I know lots of riders have super quick, well tuned machines running big bore kits and or 4v heads, but it seems more of a gamble than the super 125 kit.

I decided to keep the Grom on the road for the rest of the season and start once winter hits, so next spring hopefully I'll have some comments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Gotcha. Makes sense .... I have seen a lot of dudes liking the idea of keeping the stock OEM reliability of the Honda components. Look forward to hearing what you think in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    I will answer why I went BBK kit via 2V or 4V.

First off I met a few grom owners with the super 125cc kit that REN sells or other vendors sell. For one thing the super 125 kit is great for reliability and will cruz all day 70-80mph with the correct ECM, airbox, exhaust, and mapping.

I had both the 2V kits 170cc and 183cc and now the 4V kits Takegawa 181-4v.
    From having been one of the first grom owners testing and tuning both these types of kit I found out that things to consider is good A/F mapping, good cooling, and correct gearing setup.

The main thing that I realized that hindered all my builds may it be 2V or 4V kits was the CCV system. With out going into details I sure if I had found the right CCV system I would maybe still be running 2V engines. CCV= Crank Case Venting. As I said with out understanding internal crank case pressure, blow-by and such I would never have gotten my engine to last and run as good as they do now.

Finding the right ECM system is the second most important area most grom builders need to take into consideration. I'll let the builder decide how much they can spend or money wasted to figure out what works or not.

Most grom owners on this website need to read everything on this website pertaining to building a good engine and decide what hardware they can afford or should buy for their type of riding style or what they want to accomplish in your build.

Below I will list the items that I think that is important for any grom build starting with mild build to wild build.
    1. remove oil spinner and replace with Kitaco Clutch side cover. "advantage, you get a real oil filter, ports for external oil cooler, reduced spinning weight"
    2. Mod airbox or aftermarket air-box system
    3. full exhaust system, "NO crappy slip on's, want noise drill some holes in your stock muffler"
    4. 60% stiffer clutch spring esp if you are going BBK, anything less than 60% you will experience slippage
    5. Port match any intake or exhaust port on the head with the hardware you are using.
    6. Porting of the intake on the head is very important for HP
    7. CCV, get a good Crank Case Venting system, there is a lot of choice out there some good and some not so good.
    8. get the correct F/I for your engine.
    9. Reduce weight either on the grom or on yourself will help out the total experience in Hot Rodding the grom.

Good Luck all and ride safe.
    Lots of good feedback and knowledge in this post... totally get ya on the good CCV. Without it your gonna suffocate the engine and cause lots of oil oil consumption as well as possible internal damage and lack of power.

I just asked the question to the original poster because I was curious his particular reasoning

Cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Slight change of plans. I'm sending the super 125 piston, and head gasket + Tbolt cam back to RMW, and I'm essentially swapping for the new super 150 kit. Figured I was spending the cash building the bike, why not get a little extra kick. (Slippery slope, I know)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by altek View Post
    Slight change of plans. I'm sending the super 125 piston, and head gasket + Tbolt cam back to RMW, and I'm essentially swapping for the new super 150 kit. Figured I was spending the cash building the bike, why not get a little extra kick. (Slippery slope, I know)

Awesome! That’s the kit I am leaning towards as well. Haven’t heard much about the 150 kit. Wonder what they are seeing speed wise with these kits and the average size rider .... now to have a buddy buy the kit and ship it too me good ol CA.

This user has no status.

Member #

Can OP or anyone else who has done a front fender delete like the one above tell me how you secured the brake line bracket that's attached to the stock front fender?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Girth Brooks View Post

Can OP or anyone else who has done a front fender delete like the one above tell me how you secured the brake line bracket that's attached to the stock front fender?
    oh boy, I haven't updated this in a hot second. crap. oh well: I didn't secure it at all, and I've had zero problems in the last 1.6k miles

Girth Brooks likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    All done for now.

Kitaco 3 row oil cooler and catch can, new exhaust, and monkey fork guards.

mikochu and CiscoSanJose like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    It's like a splittin' image of my Brute GP! Congrats!
    altek likes this.
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock + PV3 | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header + Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs + Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | Steady Garage Flush Signals | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Nice touch. The Monkey fork guards are perfect for a dual sport. I put a low front fender on mine, but they also mount high same as on the Monkey.

Super Stock dirt SF-2zijhkv.jpg

Super Stock dirt SF-myzhvrl.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Stock dirt SF-img_1037.jpg  
    altek likes this.
    2018 GROM:
    TOCE Dual Exhaust
    Yuminashi ECU
    TST Rear Fender Eliminator
    TST Taillight +Signal Lights
    TST Front Signal Lights
    Dinger Built Extra Long Intake
    Honda Monkey Rear Sets