Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap

This is a discussion on Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; So this just happened... Came across a deal that I just couldn't pass up. Got a 2013 CBR250 Engine, harness, ecu, exhaust, cluster, and stock ...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap

is KOSO170BBK4v

Member #

Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap

So this just happened... Came across a deal that I just couldn't pass up. Got a 2013 CBR250 Engine, harness, ecu, exhaust, cluster, and stock exhaust. Of course now that I finally have my koso 170 bbk running excellent I come across this gem! Well now it's on to the next project. The plan is to use chimera engine mount kit, I will be opting to use the CBR's cluster over my koso cluster. Time to start collecting all the necessary parts! If anyone has extras from a swap they have done feel free to hit me up. From the research I have done so far, looks like I'm going to need the mount kit, 520 rear sprocket/chain, do a custom header pipe to match up with my RS9.. Currently I have the Bazzaz for the grom, need to find out if it's adaptable to the CBR harness. If not i'll soon have ALOT of BBK items to part with! I am very happy with the koso 170 kit, but the thought of having 6spd and water cooled and being able to cruise at a much lower RPM sounds good to me! The majority of my riding is anywhere from 55+ and I look forward to having a motor that won't constantly be "singing" lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap-250r.jpg  
    CBR250 Swapped Grom! 6sd/liquid cooled piece of heaven
    Old Build:
    Koso 170cc with 4V head
    34mm koso throttle body w/ Koso intake tube
    Koso 160 injector
    Bazzaz ZFI & Z-AFM w/ 1" o2 bung
    High flow oil pump
    EBC HD Clutch Springs
    Yoshi RS9 Carbon Fiber Exhaust
    Koso DB-03R Dash Cluster

is Living the Dream

Member #
    looks like you might have to figure out where to install/mount the radiator since it looks large for the grom. I think the 250cc was a carburetor engine or is it a F/I unit?

This user has no status.

Member #
    That's awesome! I am considering picking up another Grom to do an engine swap too. But why the 250 motor? and not bigger? I was looking at the CBR250 and it's only ~30HP. With a properly tuned BBK + supporting mods.. you are close to that HP territory. (granted you don't have 6spd and water cooled). a CRF450 engine would be the ticket(50hp out of the box)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is KOSO170BBK4v

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    looks like you might have to figure out where to install/mount the radiator since it looks large for the grom. I think the 250cc was a carburetor engine or is it a F/I unit?
    The 250 is also Fuel injected, found a group on facebook that is specific to doing the CBR swaps, actually found TommyBoy on there as well.. I've gotten confirmation and pics that the 250 radiator will work, mounted up front similar to the oil cooler location on our BBK's. Looks like I can actually keep my Yoshi RS9 now, and make my new header pipe instead of the pee shooter it comes with lol.
    Old Build:
    Koso 170cc with 4V head
    Koso 160 injector
    High flow oil pump
    EBC HD Clutch Springs
    Koso DB-03R Dash Cluster

is KOSO170BBK4v

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mesojdm View Post
    That's awesome! I am considering picking up another Grom to do an engine swap too. But why the 250 motor? and not bigger? I was looking at the CBR250 and it's only ~30HP. With a properly tuned BBK + supporting mods.. you are close to that HP territory. (granted you don't have 6spd and water cooled). a CRF450 engine would be the ticket(50hp out of the box)
    Originally I was planning for the CBR300 - on a whim I reached out to a salvage place and they just so happen to have the 250 sitting there, and the price was just tooo good to turn away from it. It will be close to the power of my BBK, maybe a bit more but I really am looking forward to the 6spd!! A CRF450 would def be a nice ticket, except doing the maintenance upkeep on it.. Same reason I let my RMZ450 Super moto sit in the garage more often than I take it out. Trying to see if the Aracer Mini 5 setup will work on the CBR swap now!!
    Last edited by nema741; 09-11-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Old Build:
    Koso 170cc with 4V head
    Koso 160 injector
    High flow oil pump
    EBC HD Clutch Springs
    Koso DB-03R Dash Cluster

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    I had a CRF450X motard. Rode it around a lot until I had to do a valve adjustment. It was a pain in the ass and stole the joy of riding it daily. That plus I was probably gonna lose my license with the way I was riding it lead me to sell it.

is KOSO170BBK4v

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    I had a CRF450X motard. Rode it around a lot until I had to do a valve adjustment. It was a pain in the ass and stole the joy of riding it daily. That plus I was probably gonna lose my license with the way I was riding it lead me to sell it.
    I know that pain all to well... Its a good thing I leave it in the garage now.. To many temptations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build #2 - CBR 250 Swap-rmz450-8sm.jpg  
    Old Build:
    Koso 170cc with 4V head
    Koso 160 injector
    High flow oil pump
    EBC HD Clutch Springs
    Koso DB-03R Dash Cluster

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    I had a CRF450X motard. Rode it around a lot until I had to do a valve adjustment. It was a pain in the ass and stole the joy of riding it daily.......
    This is a bit off-topic, I realize, but as I look at possibly getting a bigger bike, I also am taking into account the issue of valve adjustments. It is so easy on a Grom, and so complex on many other bikes. I mean......remove the engine?.....shims? What the hell?

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    This is a bit off-topic, I realize, but as I look at possibly getting a bigger bike, I also am taking into account the issue of valve adjustments. It is so easy on a Grom, and so complex on many other bikes. I mean......remove the engine?.....shims? What the hell?
    that is why the grom engine is the best to work on, and dropping the engine is a breeze on the grom. Most maintenance, repair and such is a Breeze.
    nema741 and Paultergeist like this.

is KOSO170BBK4v

Member #
    It's official! - Just ordered the Chimera Swap kit from steady garage. I purchased the Mount kit & header, DID Chain, 30T Sprocket & the MSR shift lever (don't know if I needed the shift lever but sure why not). Going to pull everything off the grom this weekend while I wait for the parts to come in.
    funcoland likes this.
    Old Build:
    Koso 170cc with 4V head
    Koso 160 injector
    High flow oil pump
    EBC HD Clutch Springs
    Koso DB-03R Dash Cluster

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast