Build: Nectar's 2015 Sport Build
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Nectar's 2015 Sport Build

This is a discussion on Nectar's 2015 Sport Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hi All, this thread documents my 2015 build that I started in December of 2017. I bought it with 700 on the clock, with a ...

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Nectar's 2015 Sport Build

is is installing a crank and 5
    speed

Member #

Nectar's Koso 170 4V Build

Hi All, this thread documents my 2015 build that I started in December of 2017. I bought it with 700 on the clock, with a few mods like a slip on, flushmounts, and some other cosmetic upgrades. I normally do a poor job of document my bike builds and always end up regretting it, so I'm hoping this thread will motivate me to do a better job.

I used to own a Ruckus in college and was active on TR, so I knew that the Grom was quickly about to turn expensive even before getting one. After my Ruckus, I got into sportbikes before finally obeying the n+1 rule after a few years post college.

I commute daily and ride for sport on weekends, so I mod my bikes pretty extensively. I don't own a car either, so I have that extra bit of naughty justification in my head that is just downright dangerous when shopping for Grom parts.

Since I picked up the bike, I've added quite a bit to the component list. My goal is to have a solid, stable sport platform. I know I want more power, but I'm going to try to get to 5k on the stock motor before I go crazy.

Here's how the bike currently sits:

2015 Honda Grom (25XX miles)

Engine/Powertrain
    Yoshimura RS-9 w/ MNNTHBX header
    Chimera Intake w/ Sprint Filter
    TB Camshaft
    Dobeck EJK
    PBI 36T sprocket
    EBC Clutch Springs
    Hard Racing Engine Brace
    Hard Racing Shift Spindle Support

Suspension/Controls
    Racing Bros Front Fork Kit (Preload/Comp/Rebound adjustable)
    Racing Bros Shicane HLR Shock (Preload/Comp (hi/lo)/Rebound adjustable)
    Composimo Racebarz
    Driven Racing TT Rearsets

Misc
    Michelin PP (140 rear)
    AEM A/F Gauge w/ Wideband O2 sensor
    CRG Blindsight bar end mirror
    MNNTHBX Faux Frame
    Tyga Lower Cowl
    Renthal Grips
    Techspec Gripster Tank Grips
    Shorty Levers

And now for the pictures...

Last edited by OpusNectar; 06-10-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    grommyk and m2Boost like this.

speed

Member #
    Big changes in the pipeline for this Grom. The need for speed was too great, so another Koso 4V build was born. Parts arriving this week, teardown already started.

Aracer Mini Plus 2 ECU
    Koso 170 BBK w/ 4V head
    Koso 34mm Throttle Body
    Keihin 10-hole injector
    Koso Cam Chain Tensioner Arm
    Kitaco Clutch Cover
    Takegawa Super Oil Pump
    eBay External Oil Cooler
    Takegawa 4th Bearing
    OTB Cam Cover

The fun begins.

Pretty uneventful teardown. Is this a lot of carbon buildup for a piston?

Piston has since been removed. Engine is ready for the BBK install tomorrow.
    Last edited by OpusNectar; 06-10-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    2015 Grom
    Koso 170cc 4V / Aracer AF1, DG1, MiniPlus2 / Kitaco Forged Crank
    Takegawa 5 Speed / 34mm TB / Full RacingBros Suspension / Hindle Exhaust / Renthal Fatbar
    Takegawa 4th Bearing / Fleabay Oil Cooler / Kitaco Clutch Cover / Kitaco CCT
    Driven Rearsets / 428 Chain 15/32T / SS Brake Lines / GF Speed Spacers / GF Vented Cam Cover
    OTB V2 Chain Adjusters / Saddlemen Seat / MP Rev 2 Throttle / Mitas MC35s Tires / Brembo 4P Caliper

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Make sure you get the 4 into 1 cable for the Aracer mini2+ since you should get the AF1 "autotune" and DG1 "A/F gauge" it will make life a lot EZ when tuning.

Also a good oil catch unit so to reduce Crank Case Pressure and Heat, best system would be a closed loop circuit with the a pressure release thru the airbox and oil return to the oil spout filler hold and intake valve cover.
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 06-10-2018 at 09:49 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

speed

Member #
    @Cisco, I was planning on doing the GY6 crankcase breather, that has the 1/2" ID tubing coming out of the oil filler cap with a K&N Attached. I was then just also going to put a push in K&N on the factory breather. I will see how well this works at first.
    2015 Grom
    Takegawa 5 Speed / 34mm TB / Full RacingBros Suspension / Hindle Exhaust / Renthal Fatbar
    Driven Rearsets / 428 Chain 15/32T / SS Brake Lines / GF Speed Spacers / GF Vented Cam Cover
    OTB V2 Chain Adjusters / Saddlemen Seat / MP Rev 2 Throttle / Mitas MC35s Tires / Brembo 4P Caliper

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Nice build 'nectar.

Let me know how the Koso 4V goes. I am leaning that way myself. Then I lean to the NEO side. I just wobble too much I guess.

Pics of your catch can set up please. You say you are using parts from a Ruckus? Oh the horror... LOL
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

speed

Member #
    @WV Grom

I am following chaddington's guide here: https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/49-g...-breather.html

The GY6 vent hose kit he recommends has a nice large 7/16" ID, which seems to be the key to effective/sufficient venting. I plan on using a UNI push in filter on the stock crank breather hose as well (the one that normally terminates at your intake). Ideally, I would've gone for a catch can setup, but after all those BBK parts, money's tight for now. It seems like the DIY catch can setups are too restrictive to be effective, and tailor-made catch cans for the Grom come at a cost of course.

I PM'd him right after I bought my BBK, his Koso 4V is still running strong to this day, so I decided to follow his advice

The Ruckus was the one that started it all for me...before the big bikes, there was my college commuter. I've officially gone full circle, back to buying Ruckus parts :lol:
    Last edited by OpusNectar; 06-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    chaddington likes this.
    2015 Grom

speed

Member #
    Just got my Koso BBK in...somehow I am MISSING the piston rings. this kit was sealed from Koso! WTF!!! the rings are definitely not there. welp...this WOULD happen to me.

edit: Am i correct in assuming the 61mm piston rings from the piston intended for the stock 2V head will work with the 4V piston?
    Last edited by OpusNectar; 06-11-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    2015 Grom

speed

Member #
    Well, we're $80 dollars deeper than yesterday. That could be a motto for this build lol.

I ordered a 61mm piston kit just for the rings. I assume the rings between the 4V and 2V head are the same. God that felt silly.
    2015 Grom

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I would recheck your original Koso 170-4v kit box that it came in, those rings are some times missed when throwing out the trash, and check the trash to make sure you did not accidentally dump the rings or the ring package wasn't tapped to the box cover.

speed

Member #
    Checked it all, even took photos of the unboxing. Nothing in the trash either. Shit happens, must've been boxed up incorrectly Life goes on, parts on the way, fingers crossed its the only hiccup!
    2015 Grom

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links