Build: ND4's Function over Form Build - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

ND4's Function over Form Build

This is a discussion on ND4's Function over Form Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by Paultergeist ND4, Thanks or referring me to this build thread. Your bike looks awesome, and you are doing exactly the same type ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: ND4's Function over Form Build

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    ND4,

Thanks or referring me to this build thread. Your bike looks awesome, and you are doing exactly the same type of riding which I am also targeting.

Question about your current air-filter set-up: If I understand correctly, you have removed the stock air-box and are using a Chimera intake with a "pod-type" air-filter element? I inquire as to how this has been working out for you, especially off-road? From what I can see, most off-roaders tend to shy away from pod type air filters, opting instead for a traditional-style filter in a box. I a wondering if a pod filter lets more dirt/dust down the intake?
    The Chimera intake freed up alot of space above the motor so i could mount my oil cooler.

The original KnN pod filter was junk as most KnN products are, it was super thin gauze filter that doesnt do shit for actually filtering air... honestly dont know why anyone runs them.

The UNI pod filter i have on there is a dual stage foam element filter, same filter material found on quality dirtbike air filters that see the harshest of environments.... It 100% for sure filters as good as the OEM setup if not better, and flows great as well.

About the ONLY the thing stock airbox has on the setup i got is being out of the rain, but that stated, it would have to be an absolute downpour to have any effect on my pod filter chimera setup as the pod filter is so big that it would be hard for water to intrude down the intake before it drips off. Been out in the rain and mud, splashing through puddles etc with my setup and never had an issue, the filter itself is tucked behind the headlight n forks so direct oncomming rain n water doesnt really reach it, and its so far up that splashing from the street also does not reach it.

2k miles on that intake setup and never an issue, intake tract is spotless from any dust residue (which was not the case running a KnN pod filter)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Good to know, and I really appreciate the in-depth details you have provided. One possible candidate I encountered -- should I opt for a Chimera intake -- is the Sprint (brand) of PTFE (Teflon) treated pod-type filter. Apparently, they are pretty much waterproof, although I confess that I have no direct experience with the product at this time.....still doing planning and research. But I agree with you that it would need to be a heck of a downpour to effect the intake.....and then I probably would not be riding. Dirt, dust, sand, and other particulate matter are my far greater concerns -- filter-wise.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Paultergeist; 06-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Did the rings come pre gapped?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sdiii View Post
    Did the rings come pre gapped?

Sorry im just now getting to ya. Honestly to answer your question. NO IDEA..... i slapped things together and forgot to check the ring gap *oops* ... I got like 1.5 - 2k miles on the bbk, and havnet had an issue and i ride her decently hard, so things cant be too far off haha.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    The Chimera intake freed up alot of space above the motor so i could mount my oil cooler.

The original KnN pod filter was junk as most KnN products are, it was super thin gauze filter that doesnt do shit for actually filtering air... honestly dont know why anyone runs them.

The UNI pod filter i have on there is a dual stage foam element filter, same filter material found on quality dirtbike air filters that see the harshest of environments.... It 100% for sure filters as good as the OEM setup if not better, and flows great as well.
    ND4,
    I realize this is an older part of the discussion, and you may not have a fresh memory as to the comparison of your current air intake vs. the stock air-box, but.....do you recall if the Chimera + UNI filter element SOUNDED a lot different than the stock air-box? I ask this because I recently installed a Dinger-Built short ram intake in conjunction with the (included) K&N pod-type filter --> I am finding the noise level resulting from this set-up to be quite annoying. I was -- frankly -- quite surprised as to just how much louder this one change (removal of stock air-box and replacement with a tube-type intake and pod filter) made the bike......gonna need earplugs if I keep riding using this set-up. I am wondering if the Chimera + UNI might be any different?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    ND4,
    I realize this is an older part of the discussion, and you may not have a fresh memory as to the comparison of your current air intake vs. the stock air-box, but.....do you recall if the Chimera + UNI filter element SOUNDED a lot different than the stock air-box? I ask this because I recently installed a Dinger-Built short ram intake in conjunction with the (included) K&N pod-type filter --> I am finding the noise level resulting from this set-up to be quite annoying. I was -- frankly -- quite surprised as to just how much louder this one change (removal of stock air-box and replacement with a tube-type intake and pod filter) made the bike......gonna need earplugs if I keep riding using this set-up. I am wondering if the Chimera + UNI might be any different?
    I never ran my grom with the stock air box. The previous owner had put the chimera on with the included K&N. I ran it like that for awhile then switched to the UNI pod filter on the chimera intake. Just thw switch to the uni pod filter reduced the intake noise quite a bit, its still there but its tolerable now, the K&N it was overly loud like you are experiencing. So my recommendation is to try and size a uni pod filter that will fit your current intake and it will probably reduce the noise by a bit as the foam pod filter acts like a noise insulator.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Updated the first post (bottom) with my cylinder head update!

This user has no status.

Member #

is Monkey off roading on Big
    Blocks

Member #
    This is some good stuff. Glad I found it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links