Build: ND4's Function over Form Build - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

ND4's Function over Form Build

This is a discussion on ND4's Function over Form Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Larger head or more aggressive cam? Why not both? I PM'ed obijaunito about the Kitaco type 2 cam. He says it pulls from 6-10k.... Thought ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: ND4's Function over Form Build

is Never thought stock bore could
    be so good

Member #
    From Texas. Lived in Southern California for a bit. Currently in Central Florida.
    Odometer
    Larger head or more aggressive cam?

Why not both?

I PM'ed obijaunito about the Kitaco type 2 cam. He says it pulls from 6-10k.... Thought I'd pass that on.
    Takegawa 12.5:1 Piston
    Ported Head w/ TB valves
    2" Intake w/UNI filter
    DanMoto conical exhaust (no kidding)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by estallings15 View Post
    Larger head or more aggressive cam?

Why not both?

I PM'ed obijaunito about the Kitaco type 2 cam. He says it pulls from 6-10k.... Thought I'd pass that on.

Oh if i went with a bigger head i would at least stick with my kitaco type 1 cam, no way id go back to the stock cam. Just dont feel like tearing apart the motor to replace the head as head gasket is hard to source.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    5k\500
    How fast do you get to top speed & what is top speed now that it won't go anymore?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    It gets up to speed much faster than the stock grom thats for sure. Tops out around 67mph. I currently run a 16/37 gearing (i was running a 15/37 which is just slightly lower than your standard mod of dropping one tooth in the front for 14/34). I am tempted to put my 34t rear on with the 16t front and see what i GPS out at as it seems it likes to pull real good a little lower in the RPMS, But i dont want to go too tall to kill any off road performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    As an update. almost 1k miles in with my bbk. Did a decent tear down / oil change / spinner cleaning / screen cleaning to get a pulse on everything. Oil came out clean as far as particulates, no rubber pieces, no metalic pieces. Spinner and screen were clean as well. This was after ~ 500 miles on the oil with LOTS of HARD riding off road which really heated the motor up.

Cam chain tensioner was replaced with a finbro unit, i switched to a kitaco type 2 cam to allow the motor to breathe a little better in the upper rpms and when i did this i moved a stock decomp mechanism over to the new cam.

Overall, all is good, the thing still keeps on ticking and running like a top, and even better now with the new tensioner arm (original with ~ 5200 miles on it didnt look bad).

ND4's Function over Form Build-img_20161210_181156687-custom-.jpgND4's Function over Form Build-img_20161210_181216298-custom-.jpgND4's Function over Form Build-img_20161210_181134699-custom-.jpgND4's Function over Form Build-img_20161210_181112556_hdr-custom-.jpgND4's Function over Form Build-img_20161207_175004907_hdr-custom-.jpg

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    How did you mount your oil cooler? Looks like maybe from those 2 upper bolts where the airbox used to be?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    How did you mount your oil cooler? Looks like maybe from those 2 upper bolts where the airbox used to be?
    Two piece of 3/4 or 1in wide x 1/8in pieces of mild steel.

They are in an L shape and the oil cooler sits on top of short side of the L. The long side goes up and attaches at one point to the cross bar between the fairings, then its main mounting point up under the tank where the stock airbox used to connect to. There is a 90* twist in the top 4 inches of the long side of the L so it can properly sit flat against the frame.

I was looking at all different ways to mount it, and i realized that i had to come down from the frame. I hate the idea of a tappet cover mounted cooler as it just seems like extra non needed vibration transferred to the oil cooler.

If you want i can get some more pictures up close.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    ^ I think I was planning on the same mounting locations, but a close up picture wouldn't hurt!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1 mile
    love the build!

little by little all amazing

im about to order my type 2 cam, any place youd recommend?

have the finbro ecu and pcx150 injector with koso air filter

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    ND4,

Thanks or referring me to this build thread. Your bike looks awesome, and you are doing exactly the same type of riding which I am also targeting.

Question about your current air-filter set-up: If I understand correctly, you have removed the stock air-box and are using a Chimera intake with a "pod-type" air-filter element? I inquire as to how this has been working out for you, especially off-road? From what I can see, most off-roaders tend to shy away from pod type air filters, opting instead for a traditional-style filter in a box. I a wondering if a pod filter lets more dirt/dust down the intake?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links