Build: ND4's Function over Form Build - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

ND4's Function over Form Build

This is a discussion on ND4's Function over Form Build within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by JosAA Yeah I was thinking speed haha sorry. I'm looking for a little top end speed so IF I need to hop ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: ND4's Function over Form Build

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JosAA View Post
    Yeah I was thinking speed haha sorry.
    I'm looking for a little top end speed so IF I need to hop on the freeway, I could do so (for short distances).

Oh yeah, with this setup if i went back to the 34 tooth rear sprocket i could hang at okish highway speeds (60-65) on flat ground without being WOT full tuck drafting a car.

This user has no status.

Member #
    How do you like the tires? Do they perform well off-roading? I want the Maxxis tires but I do more committing/highway driving than I would off-road but would to be able to take it in the sand and dirt without it slipping around on me

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorGrom View Post
    How do you like the tires? Do they perform well off-roading? I want the Maxxis tires but I do more committing/highway driving than I would off-road but would to be able to take it in the sand and dirt without it slipping around on me

Obviously the tires do not do as well as something like the M6024, but the Kenda K761's do a DAMN good job off road, MUCH MUCH better than any street tire, but they still have great grip / road manners on road. I would recommend to mount the front tire "backwards" from the rotational mark so its tread pattern is proper.

Overall i have been very happy with the kenda's, no regrets with going with those, and they are pretty quiet on the road too... i cant imagine how loud the M6024's would be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Whelp I have put ~ 200 miles on the bbk so it was time to do its first oil change. Expecting the worst of rubber chunks from the cam chain guides and tons of metal shavings, then hoping for the best at the same time.

Oil came out with just a lil glisten of break in metals, no chunks of anything. Valves were still spot on, my nylon cam chain button made out of a 30cent nylon bolt from the hardware store was still in tact.

Oil screen had one ITTY BITTY piece of metal on it (looks like an aluminum scraping probably from the wrist pin clip when i put that in) but NOTHING more! A lil bit o gunk / particles inside the oil spinner.

All in all, your standard amount of stuff for a new cylinder piston etc, SUPER HAPPY. Filled her back up with some Rotella T6 5w-40 and went on a 30 mile ride. Thing is a god damn hoot!
    Last edited by nd4spdbh; 06-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.
    Strokd_GE likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Added a pic from todays ride. See second post

This user has no status.

Member #
    wow i like your setup a lot i will make same mod at you . i will come back with some question.

This user has no status.

Member #
    sounds like a fun bike!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Updated the second post with some new pics of my recent gromming adventure. The lil bike ran great and was a blast up in the mountian town of mammoth, Kenda dual sport tires did quite well if i do say so myself.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    5k\500
    What kind of mpg do you think or know you are getting now vs a stock 125 engine?
    Is the low end grunt now a lot more so wheelies are easier in 2nd or 3rd if you do wheelies.
    how many miles now on the bore setup?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
    What kind of mpg do you think or know you are getting now vs a stock 125 engine?
    Is the low end grunt now a lot more so wheelies are easier in 2nd or 3rd if you do wheelies.
    how many miles now on the bore setup?

Honestly never tracked my MPG's but its not significantly worse than stock by much if any at all.

Low end grunt is MUUUUCH improved. Power wheelies in 1st are stupid easy, and you can actually bring it up in second now. The low end is DEFINITELY seen off road when im slow going in 1st, I have the ability to pull out of first gear on steep climbs where before there was nothing left that the motor could give.

About the only real thing i would do different would be to run two base gaskets to reduce the compression a smidge.

I am playing with the idea of running a bigger valve head as the stock head doesnt flow much past 8k rpms with the 164cc bbk. Or try out a more aggressive cam to let it breathe better. Kind of torn there to be honest... Part of me wants to keep the stock head as parts availability for the stock valves / head etc are easy to come by, and i wouldnt have to source a new headgasket / tear the motor apart for a different head.

Miles wise.... i think i put the bbk on at ~4400 miles, and i now have 5100 on the bike. so ~700 miles, I will have to check my logs when i get home as i am curious as well to see how many miles i got on the thing!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links