Uneven tread wear Suspension Issues
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Uneven tread wear Suspension Issues within the Grom Racing forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Been racing my grom on stock suspension. Just recently put the mitas supersoft mc35's on and have one race day on them. My front tire ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By solidjohnny
  • 2 Post By fclark00

Thread: Uneven tread wear Suspension Issues

This user has no status.

Member #

Been racing my grom on stock suspension. Just recently put the mitas supersoft mc35's on and have one race day on them. My front tire is shredded and ripped with melted rubber all over it but the rear one is just worn really smoothly. The front looks like my gsxr 750 rear tire after two or three trackdays on it and the rear looks like the front would. I'm used to the fronts lasting but it seems like I have a suspension problem.

I weigh 200 with gear. I'm trying to figure out if I need a heavier spring on the front or why the tires are wearing the way they are. The other issue is most of my crashes have been losing the rear in fast corners. I think that means compression is too hard and my rear tire is bouncing. Can anyone give me some insight into this?
    Last edited by fclark00; 05-28-2019 at 01:48 PM.

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    The stock suspension is so not up to par for street riding, I can't imagine how bad it must be on the track.
    50-50 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I agree with the above. I've mildly pushed the Grom on the street (I still have small chicken strips and I haven't touched down a peg yet), but I still feel I'm riding past the capabilities of the stock suspension. You should upgrade the suspension for the track.

With that being said I've never seen even tire wear on a motorcycle when comparing front to rear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    I agree with the above. I've mildly pushed the Grom on the street (I still have small chicken strips and I haven't touched down a peg yet), but I still feel I'm riding past the capabilities of the stock suspension. You should upgrade the suspension for the track.

With that being said I've never seen even tire wear on a motorcycle when comparing front to rear.
    I bought an ohlins rear shock and an ohlins fork cartridge kit. I will let you know how it works out.
    BUCKNUT and 50-50 like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by fclark00 View Post
    I bought an ohlins rear shock and an ohlins fork cartridge kit. I will let you know how it works out.
    Sweet! Definitely let us know because those mods, especially the Ohlin fork kit have been on my radar.

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    As others have said, the stock suspension is severely undersprung for anyone over 130-140lbs. Your symptoms were a result of that and you should see a world of a difference in your riding confidence and tire wear with the Ohlins.

Sponsored Links