Honda Grom banner

Track/Race Builds

50K views 91 replies 23 participants last post by  Gromsternator 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive seen many threads asking about track prep or tire recommendations etc...

But i havent seen one yet with full builds top to bottom so here we go!

This is my little superstocker build. I ride out at JRP Tulsa every week and still street from time to time but mostly track now.
Post up your builds lets see what everyone's got !!

-Finbro 125 2V head w/oversized valves
-DCR Stage 2 cam
-OTB Cam Cover
-Koso 34mm TB flipped
-K&N Filter
-MNNTHBX Dual Underbody exhaust
-Finbro ECU
-PCX150 Injector
-Oversized fuel line
-EFIE set at -180MV (12.8 AFR)
-Race-Gas (105 Octane)
-Nology Ignition Kit
-NGK Iridium Plug
-Bazzaz ZFI
-Bazzaz Traction Control
-Bazzaz Quickshifter
-GP Shift
-Ohlins front fork kit
-CNCFX fork brace
-YSS Stage 2 rear shock
-PMT Soft front/rear slicks
-Galfer Rotors
-Galfer SS lines
-Galfer Pads
-RCB 2 piston front caliper
-YSS stabilizer kit w/cncfx damper
-Ebay rearsets
-Pro Taper Contor CR High oversized bars
-IR lap timer
-Shorty levers
-13T front sprocket and 38T rear
-T-Rex engine brace/sliders
-Removed turn signals, rear fender, and all the emissions crap.
-Chimera Fuel Vent Cap

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Race track
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Race track
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Road racing

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
2015 Grom
Pro Taper KLX110 bars
Pro Taper grips
Chinabay shorty levers
Oxford bar ends
Ohlins fork cartridges
ND4 fork mod
KW rear shock
Dunlop TT93 100/90F 120/80R
13/43 PBI sprockets
Gold DID o-ring chain
G-Craft backstep plates
Rear reservoir delete
Stainless brake lines
Stubby chinesium pegs
Finbro ECU
EFIE
DCR R1 cam
DCR PnP head and manifold
Kitaco 12.2:1 piston
L/W spinner
Silicone intake tube
Uni air filter
Tyga Stainless high mount

#7 ·
2015 Grom
Pro Taper KLX110 bars
Pro Taper grips
Oxford bar ends
Ohlins fork cartridges
ND4 fork mod
KW rear shock
Dunlop TT93 100/90F 120/80R
13/43 PBI sprockets
Gold DID o-ring chain
G-Craft backstep plates
Rear reservoir delete
Stainless brake lines
Stubby chinesium pegs
Finbro ECU
EFIE
DCR R1 cam
DCR PnP head and manifold
Kitaco 12.2:1 piston
L/W spinner
Silicone intake tube
Uni air filter
Tyga Stainless high mount
You run EFIE and Finbro ECM? Wouldn't Finbro ECM just be enough?

#13 · (Edited)
lets see a pick of that bad boy farkas!! and you are running 13/43 gearing on a 125??? or did you mean 13/34?
Not the best images, but you get the idea. Definitely 13/43, occasionally 13/45 depending on which track I'm at. Biggest downfall to the Grom is the 4-speed trans. Between 2nd and 3rd is miles apart, and between 3rd and 4th is closest ratio. The more you take advantage of exponential gearing on the Grom and it's powerband between the two shortest gears, the quicker you'll be. I've determined the fastest part of the track is around 52-53mph for most people. I took that top speed and geared my bike to nearly hit that rev-limit by the time I hit the end of the straight. Throughout the rest of the track I'll be in 3rd, right in the power band.

Also, if you haven't already, do ND4's fork mod... You'll thank me later- forget that stabilizer and the clunky K-tech stuff.

#9 ·

This is my little superstocker build. I ride out at JRP Tulsa every week and still street from time to time but mostly track now.

-Finbro 125 head w/oversized valves
-DCR Stage 2 cam
-Koso 34mm TB flipped with filter directly mounted.
-Finbro ECU
-PCX150 Injector
-Oversized fuel line
-Nology Ignition wire kit
-Bazzaz ZFI+TC+QS
-Ohlins front fork kit
-CNCFX fork brace
-YSS Stage 2 rear shock
-Galfer rotors, lines, and pads.
-Ebay rearsets w/ GP shift
-IR lap timer
-Shorty levers
-Yoshimura bar ends
-13T front sprocket and 36T rear
you still running the link that lifts the rear an inch? I ordered one just haven't installed it yet

#10 · (Edited)
i never installed it. I need to lift the front as well and I'm hesitant about the fork mod. the issue i have with the fork mod is the fact that i will bottom out sooner and i need all the travel i can get out of that front shock don't need it bottoming out even sooner than it already does lol. No point in installing it on the rear only it would change the geometry and i don't think in a good way, it would be asking way to much of the front end.

I just plan on selling my current suspension set up to a friend and going the K-tech route. great suspension and it lifts the bike up a bit front and rear.

#11 · (Edited)
2015 Grom (Track Mode)
Protaper Contour "Carmichael"
Woodcraft Bar End sliders
Woodcraft Axle Sliders
the2Wheels riser pegs
Ohlins fork kit
RB MonoR shock
Galfer SS front line
XR100 number plate
Chimera intake
14T front sprocket
Dunlop TT93 100/120
XT Racing GPX Pro

(Street Mode)
VG Fender
Ebay Folding Bar Mirror
*Put the headlight back on lol*

#16 ·
2015 Grom (Street & Track)
Protaper KLX110 Bars
Kitaco quick turn throttle tube
Ohlins fork cartridges
Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock
Mita Softs
Spiegler Front/Rear brake lines
Mtake
2 Brothers Exhaust
Stock Gearing (Aluminum rear sprocket)
Nology Ignition
Shorty Levers
Finbro ECU
PCX Injector

Gearing had to stay stock to race in the grom class but since I missed the last 2 rounds I decided screw it and just start modding but still keeping it 125cc as there are still a lot of races I can do. So on that note I just added the finbro ecu and pcx injector and have a list of other mods to do! So all those lurkers that are watching what I do, don't bother u still aint gonna catch me, lmao :toothy9:

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
2015 Grom (Street & Track)

Gearing had to stay stock to race in the grom class but since I missed the last 2 rounds I decided screw it and just start modding but still keeping it 125cc as there are still a lot of races I can do. So on that note I just added the finbro ecu and pcx injector and have a
I had my Grom out at Katy for the first time this last weekend and have a 14T (stock rear) front sprocket and I think maybe a 13T would be even better actually.

#17 · (Edited)
Hmm thats interesting with the 13/43 ill have to give it a try. I have mine geared to where i stay in 2nd and 3rd the entire track basically. Not sure what track your on but heres some footage. Honestly i love the way my bike handles right now its dialed in pretty good so any suspension adjusts i do will be later on down the road.

#20 · (Edited)
Hmm thats interesting with the 13/43 ill have to give it a try. I have mine geared to where i stay in 2nd and 3rd the entire track basically. Not sure what track your on but heres some footage of mine and a few pics. Honestly i love the way my bike handles right now its dialed in pretty good so any suspension adjusts i do will be later on down the road.
Do you know the top speed people tend to run at your track? I keep a little hand book that I've written all my possible gearing with MPH at rev-limit(9200), so I can tell you right away what would be ideal to stay between 3rd and 4th.

That photo was taken at Pittsburgh International Race Complex on the Wilson karting track. That corner is REALLY a mind bender because it's got a grade that's quite a bit lower on the outside so leaning into the apex too much can make you lowside real quick.

Here's a different perspective that still doesn't show all too well, but you get the idea.

#18 ·
We have tried k-Tech Ohlins and racing bros front and rear, with K-tech being more expensive and having adjustability you would think it would perform better but we personally didn't like it and went back with Ohlins. Ohlins just works, drop them in and hit the track no need to fine tune as long as you select the proper springs to best suit your weight. Racing bros are also pretty good and it comes fully adjustable if you are looking to spend the extra time fine tuning the front end.

#26 · (Edited)
If you guys haven't seen this on Gearing Commander before, take advantage of it.

What this is showing is the MPH/RPM you'd see in each gear before and after you'd shift, and the MPH spread you'll have before having to shift again presuming limit is 9200rpm. The closer they are together, as seen in 3rd and 4th, the better gearing advantage you have for the bike.

disregard the actual MPH in this image as I just left stock final gearing, but this still depicts the internal gearing of the grom 4-speed.

#30 ·
Assuming you're running a 120/80 like I am, that translates to right around 57.3MPH in 3rd with 13/36 at 10500RPM.

My gearing of 13/43 for one track puts me at 59.7MPH in 4th at 10500RPM, so this is what I'd suggest trying if what you're saying is correct.

#31 ·
2014 Grom

Ohlins front suspension
JRI 2-way rear shock
Webike upgraded large front rotor
EBC HH pads
Coremoto brakelines
Dunlop TT93 tires
Protaper Mini High Bars
Driven Rearsets

Finbro 147cc High compression kit
PCV/WB2
Custom exhaust
Kitaco side cover with custom oil cooler
Ported TB
Velocity stack intake
SMR clutch

#37 ·
Damn Activ3 i see you over there tearing shit up lol hell yeah!

Ill be at the track tomorrow so ill double check my rpms at the end of the back straight to make sure i was right before i start ordering 40+ teeth rear sprockets lol.

#40 ·

-Finbro 125 head w/oversized valves
-DCR Stage 2 cam
-Koso 34mm TB flipped with filter directly mounted.
-Finbro ECU
-PCX150 Injector
-Oversized fuel line
-Nology Ignition wire kit
-Bazzaz ZFI+TC+QS
-Ohlins front fork kit
-CNCFX fork brace
-YSS Stage 2 rear shock
-Galfer rotors, lines, and pads.
-Ebay rearsets w/ GP shift
-IR lap timer
-Shorty levers
-Yoshimura bar ends
-13T front sprocket and 36T rear

Beautiful build!
Does the fork brace add any functional rigidity?
Any testing on the ignition kit?
Weight loss and performance gain from RCB 2 piston caliper?
Ebay rearsets quality/rigidity, would recommend?
YSS stabilizer kit w/cncfx damper, could you share on how this functions for you?

Also, anyone have suggestions on a light, compact, cheap rear stand?

Thanks!

#42 ·
Fork brace definitely tightens up the front.
don't know about any weight loss from the RCB its actually a little beefier than the stocker but works way better.
Ebay rear sets are just fine. I crash all the time and usually just end up swapping out pegs and I'm good to go.
my stabilizer kit works great as well, i like the fact that i can adjust how tight or loose i want it.
no testing with the ignition kit yet I'm waiting to add the EFIE before i get her on the dyno.

the rear stand i use for my grom cost 30 bucks from Harbor freight.

#44 ·
lets see some more track builds!! any updates on anyone else's builds???? My shit is currently wrecked out (again) front end is way off so my buddy is helping me out. noting is bent (other than bars and pegs) but nothing lines up either lol.

heres some crash footage lol!

#49 ·

dude I love it. I've got like 2000 race miles on it at this point fucker still going strong. Still need to get my EFIE wired up properly and get my AFRs dialed in so I can make all the power I can out of the set up. Just waiting on farkas to call my electronically un inclined self lol.

#52 · (Edited)
Terrible garage photo

Ohlins Forks
Ohlins Rear shock
Driven Rearsets
Brembo RCS15
EBC BBK
Coremoto Lines
Mitas MC35 Soft Front/Medium Rear
Chimera Intake
Yoshi Exhaust
PCV/WB2
Takegawa Cam
Superbike bars
R6 throttle tube
TST sliders
Kitaco Clutch Cover
Clutch Springs

Motor build is coming for the next season

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.