Track tires
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Track tires

This is a discussion on Track tires within the Grom Racing forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; What are some good track/race tires for the grom? I had my grom on the race track for the first time a few weeks ago ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Track tires

This user has no status.

Member #

Track tires

What are some good track/race tires for the grom? I had my grom on the race track for the first time a few weeks ago running Michelin Power Pures, and they did not have much edge grip. As soon as I would start to touch a knee to the ground, the front end would start washing out. I normally use Dunlops on my R6, so I thought about switching to TT93's. Does any manufacturer make a good slick tire for minis?

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Pirelli has a nice looking tire for the Grom. I was leaning towards the Michelin myself, then another member (AJ510 I think is his forum name) on here pointed out a good point while at our last (my first) track day. The Michelin's have a lot of siping, or pattern, on the edge of the tire. The Pirelli's are almost slick like on the edge.

I haven't tried the Pirelli myself. One of the regular local track guys bought some for his Grom, but he wasn't able to make the last track day, so I wasn't able to hear any feedback. Looks like a great tire though.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

This user has no status.

Member #
    Dunlop's.......

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    You can get a census from others you track with.

Most of the racers or guys I share the track with use Dunlops (TT93). I rarely see anyone else on anything different; i.e. Pirelli or Bridgestones or IRC's. And then there is Sava, which does have a slick, and different grades (soft / med / maybe hard too) of tire. Again, I would ask around the paddock and get some insight from the more serious track junkies / racers.
    2014 Grom (Red)

is adventuring one bike at a
    time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
    Pirelli has a nice looking tire for the Grom. I was leaning towards the Michelin myself, then another member (AJ510 I think is his forum name) on here pointed out a good point while at our last (my first) track day. The Michelin's have a lot of siping, or pattern, on the edge of the tire. The Pirelli's are almost slick like on the edge.

I haven't tried the Pirelli myself. One of the regular local track guys bought some for his Grom, but he wasn't able to make the last track day, so I wasn't able to hear any feedback. Looks like a great tire though.
    When you find out where your contact purchased the Pirelli tires, please spread the information. I have always liked the Pirelli Diablo series for the bigger bikes.
    2015 Grom (track/training bike)
    2016 BMW R1200GS (Daddy Bike)
    2018 BMW G310R (Daughter's new ride)
    "Six bikes are our limit." -Unicorn Wife

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I will be going with the Dunlops. I was looking at some pictures from that weekend, and a lot of guys seem to be running those tires. The Grom is a blast on the track, and it's different type of experience compared to the big bikes. A couple of friends and I may make some runs to the Herrin compound this fall/winter too if you any of you guys in the southeast ever go there.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Only been to the cart track once with the Grom, but had no problems with the Michelins at 29psi. I'd estimate my corner speeds anywhere between 30-40mph with a kiss of peg feeler and hanging off the bike as much as possible. I wasn't using the very edge of the tire unless the peg was folding up, but still in the "siped" area. The mini moto guys that were out there all preferred the Mitas tires over the Dunlop tt93
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ '98 WR400 Supermoto : '09 Ninja 650R : '96 KLR 250 : '00 KLR 250 : '06 WR450f: '08 Multistrada 1100S : '14 Grom : '15 Yamaha FJ-09

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
    I wasn't using the very edge of the tire unless the peg was folding up,
    Yeah, I don't think there's any way I could get to the edge of the tire with stock pegs. I was dragging pegs and still had plenty of tire left before the edge.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

This user has no status.

Member #
    Another note, ask others (the fast and more experienced guys on Groms) with similar tires of what air pressure is set to, for a base line (air pressure will vary among riders and weight). Find someone about your weight. Air pressure is key, aside from good rubber for best grip and cornering confidence. Once you have a base line, then adjust accordingly to what works best for you.
    2014 Grom (Red)

is adventuring one bike at a
    time.

Member #
    Yes, air pressure is a great thing to control. I ordered this gauge from Amazon because of its sensitivity, and the chuck on the end able to grab onto those flexi-flyer valve stems, while adjusting the molecule content within those things made from the carbon black arts.
    Last edited by AzizaVFR; 08-11-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    2015 Grom (track/training bike)
    2016 BMW R1200GS (Daddy Bike)
    2018 BMW G310R (Daughter's new ride)
    "Six bikes are our limit." -Unicorn Wife

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links