Motorcycle for 50% street 50% Fwy
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Motorcycle for 50% street 50% Fwy within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; In the mornings I'd like to take the streets but in the afternoon I'd like to take the Fwys (10, 60 or 5), or perhaps ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Motorcycle for 50% street 50% Fwy

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

In the mornings I'd like to take the streets but in the afternoon I'd like to take the Fwys (10, 60 or 5), or perhaps I might go 100% Fwy after all. I live in Los Angeles, CA. My commute is 34 miles round trip (City of Commerce to Beverly Hills).

Which motorcycle would be more suitable for me? I have my eyes on the new Honda CB300R, the new CB500F 2019 or the CB650R. I'm 5'5" 140 lbs, skinny & small guy. I already rode the CB300R and I was very impressed and pleased with its performance but some people have told me to go with the CB500F or CB650R because I'll out grow the CB300R very fast. What's your opinion on this? Thanks.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:
    Yoshimura RS-2, Vagabond Cargo Rack & Fender Eliminator, GIVI Top Box.

is a squirrel

Member #
    Is it solely for commuting? I don't like the concept of outgrowing a motorcycle. Under that logic we all should have outgrown the Grom years ago. However you need to pick the engine that will best suit the application. If you need to keep up with fwy traffic, a bigger engine will get you to speed faster, but a 300 will keep up no problem as well. If you take side streets and fwy then a bigger engine isn't as necessary as long as it gets you to the speed you need. Also is cost a factor? What about any other options the bigger bikes have? Other than the Grom do you have any other riding experience? There's a lot of factors that only you can decide on.

In the end, each bike is a great bike. Ride each one, think about what you truly want and need, and go from there. If it were me I would consider the 500 or 650 more than the 300, but my commute is all highway at 70+ mph traffic at times.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    Is it solely for commuting? I don't like the concept of outgrowing a motorcycle. Under that logic we all should have outgrown the Grom years ago. However you need to pick the engine that will best suit the application. If you need to keep up with fwy traffic, a bigger engine will get you to speed faster, but a 300 will keep up no problem as well. If you take side streets and fwy then a bigger engine isn't as necessary as long as it gets you to the speed you need. Also is cost a factor? What about any other options the bigger bikes have? Other than the Grom do you have any other riding experience? There's a lot of factors that only you can decide on.
    LordSquirrel, thanks for replying so quick. Yes, this motorcycle will be used for every day commuting only. I just have the Grom experience, I'm a new rider and I love the Grom but I need a bike that can handle legally and actual Fwy speeds comfortable and safe. The CB650 is that biggest bike that I can handle/maneuver with some big effort but not impossible. The CB500F 2019 is much easy to handle and the CB300R is almost as easy as the Grom.

The CB650R & CB500F 2019 models have much better features and are very quick than the 300 but also cost much more money.
    The CB650 is like $9K, the CB500F 2019 model costs like $6.5K and the CB300R like $5K, so is like $2K difference for each bike.

In the end, each bike is a great bike. Ride each one, think about what you truly want and need, and go from there. If it were me I would consider the 500 or 650 more than the 300, but my commute is all highway at 70+ mph traffic at times.
    Yes, this is what my boss tells me. The 650 or 500 have better flexibility, I can do more things with the bigger bikes than the 300 even though I drove the 300 and I liked it very much. Great for the streets and I can go in the Fwys as opposed to the Grom.
    I have not ridden the 650 or 500. My dealer is getting me the 500 to test ride it soon.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    2018-19 KTM 390 Duke
    Best bang for the money

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    2018-19 KTM 390 Duke
    Best bang for the money
    I heard that is not reliable and it is very expensive. For that money I can get the CB500F 2019 model which is far better than the KTM 390 Duke.
    BUCKNUT likes this.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    the build quality on the 390 ktms it's brutal. i have a friend with an rc390 and it's laughably bad. not a very smooth engine either.

the 390 and smaller ktms are made in india by Bajaj, and it shows. don't bother.

for what you're looking to do john the 500 is perfect for you. the 300 will do freeway just fine, but it doesn't have the same jam you'd want for on ramps and just general fun on a motorbike. the 500 is fast enough, but small enough to have a lot of fun with while remaining very practical.

the 650 would be a great choice if you wanted to tour on the highways and do longer trips, but for only commuting and riding in traffic it has little benefit over the 500 and will be larger and more cumbersome.
    Last edited by Wibbly; 05-16-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    BUCKNUT likes this.

is a squirrel

Member #
    I agree with Wibbly. The 390 is a fun hooligan bike, but I wouldn't trust it to take me from A to B. The 500 sounds like the way to go. Of course ride it and see what you think first.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
    the build quality on the 390 ktms it's brutal. i have a friend with an rc390 and it's laughably bad. not a very smooth engine either.
    Yes, this is what some people have been telling me and the worse they are very expensive, they charge a leg & an arm for it.
    the 390 and smaller ktms are made in india by Bajaj, and it shows. don't bother.
    Thanks for your advice though.

for what you're looking to do john the 500 is perfect for you. the 300 will do freeway just fine, but it doesn't have the same jam you'd want for on ramps and just general fun on a motorbike. the 500 is fast enough, but small enough to have a lot of fun with while remaining very practical.
    Yes, I want to be able to go easily thru heavy traffic on the streets but at the same time be able to ride on the Fwys at speeds that are comfortable and safe.

the 650 would be a great choice if you wanted to tour on the highways and do longer trips, but for only commuting and riding in traffic it has little benefit over the 500 and will be larger and more cumbersome.
    Definitely the 650 is very heavy, higher seat and very hard to maneuver at slow speeds between cars on the streets and hard for me to hold it in every stop on up hills.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    I agree with Wibbly. The 390 is a fun hooligan bike, but I wouldn't trust it to take me from A to B. The 500 sounds like the way to go. Of course ride it and see what you think first.
    Yes, I'm waiting for the dealer to order one for me to test drive. This will be so much fun. It almost seems to me that the CB500F 2019 will be the one. As soon as I test drive this CB500F I'll post my findings.
    Grom 2018 Modifications:

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    CB500F sounds like the best choice. For hwy commuting you want enough power to escape out of a dangerous situation. The most common case for me is escaping out of someone's blind spot as they unknowingly cut into my lane while texting on the phone...

I've always had the mindset to use the motorcycles power and agility instead of panic braking to stay safe on the roads. In my opinion panic braking is a bad riding habit, and it means I was riding totally oblivious.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 05-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links