Winter airbox build
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Winter airbox build

This is a discussion on Winter airbox build within the Monkey Builds forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; So I have been getting lots of water into my airbox, and by the way the monkey is built I am getting plastered in mud ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Old1Eye
  • 1 Post By Old1Eye

Thread: Winter airbox build

This user has no status.

Member #
    So I have been getting lots of water into my airbox, and by the way the monkey is built I am getting plastered in mud and road salts daily here in Finland.

So I decided to move my airfilter to under the seat where the standard exhaust was.
    I used the left side air box cover and flipped it upside down, then fitted the filter behind it.
    I used a K&N style filter with a uni outer filter over the top, oiled.

The air intake, I used a flexible car induction tube at 40mm, then wrapped it twice with vulcanising rubber once I had gotten the shape I wanted.
    All the front spray now doesn't get anywhere near it, and the rain is kept off by the box cover.
    I am running a custom built exhaust and an Efie device at -0.200mv with this airfilter, and I am getting 115k/h on the clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter airbox build-img_20191101_123123_1572802856874.jpg   Winter airbox build-img_20191101_070018_1572802874468.jpg   Winter airbox build-img_20191103_135427_1572802888348.jpg  
    Suga Sean and ikeus685 like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    What did the airbox look like before you did this modification?

I'd be shocked if water was getting in the stock, Honda airbox unless you submarined your Monkey.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The airbox looked stock except I hand removed the inlet snorkel and internal snorkel.

I think it was a deformation with the bottom of the airbox where the lid and box formed, as it never sealed closed no matter how tight the screw go in.

I had lots of water in the airbox on my first service too, and noticed the garage never emptied it when I got it back.
    Noticed the clear plastic tube was white, pulled it off and lots of water poured out.

Tried sealing up the original airbox with silicone bit it don't stay for long.

So did this mod, works great and gives more power

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Nola mini bikes

Member #
    Odometer
    I lowered the front fender on my bike. Seems to have less spray off the tire.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Suga Sean View Post
    I lowered the front fender on my bike. Seems to have less spray off the tire.
    Yeah I have been thinking of fitting a Grom front fender and removing the monkey one, and maybe an engine under cowl.
    Suga Sean likes this.

is Nola mini bikes

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Old1Eye View Post
    Yeah I have been thinking of fitting a Grom front fender and removing the monkey one, and maybe an engine under cowl.
    I've also been eyeing up that lower cowl. just wonder how close the paint will match.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Suga Sean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old1Eye View Post
    I've also been eyeing up that lower cowl. just wonder how close the paint will match.
    I was thinking of getting a white one as the lower half of the tank is white, might match better than the red.
    Or other option is to get a cheaper unpainted one, then order the official paint to match it.

Sponsored Links