First Test, First Impressions and First Gripe...
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on First Test, First Impressions and First Gripe... within the Monkey Builds forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; So this weekend I can take the Monkey for a ride, most uphills and downhills by the topography where is my home, no to much ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CiscoSanJose
  • 2 Post By WV_Grom

Thread: First Test, First Impressions and First Gripe...

is In love with motorcycles since

Member #

So this weekend I can take the Monkey for a ride, most uphills and downhills by the topography where is my home, no to much flat areas.

This little bike is so fun to drive, I don't find the clutch or the rear brake problems that most people says feel (long rear brake, sounds as needs to settle and this is all, engage point of the clutch, easy set to a more comfortable area). The only I need to adjust is the brake light switch for the rear brake pedal, it is all.

The front and rear suspension is not so good, front comes easy to end in hard braking and in some holes rear tops, but both pieces to improve are on the way or in my hands (YSS rear shocks in my hands and front Ohlins cartridges in the way). So be solved in short time.

My only gripe is the gap between 1st and 2nd gear, they are very separated! Inclusive revolutionizing the bike a lot on 1st gear when changing to 2nd it sleeps in less that 10º uphills From 2nd to 3rd is ok, 4th is only for flat areas and feels more as a overdrive, that as a regular gear. This is all with the standard 15/34 sprockets, but I think that change in example the front sprocket to 14 don't help to much, as the 1st to 2nd gap continue be the same.

So now I'm not sure if is a good idea to play with a different gearbox. I have some options (for reference, the standard gear ratio is 1st: 2.500, 2nd: 1.550, 3rd: 1.150 4th: 0.923):

1. Continue with a 4 gearbox: Takegawa 4-gear CROSS MISSION Gear Set 1st: 2.500 2nd: 1.631, 3rd: 1.227, 4th: 1.083 sounds very nice as the gap between 1st and 2nd is not big as in the standard, and change the 4th using the Kitaco 4th 1.000 or the Yuminashi 25T/25T 4th gear sports sprocket set (the 4th in the Takegawa 4-gear sounds a little short for me)
    2. Move to a 5 gearbox: Takegawa AF 5-gear CROSS MISSION Kit 1st:2.333 2nd:1.684 3rd:1.272 4th:1.040 5th:0.923, sounds very nice as the gap between 1st and 2nd is not big as in the standard but maybe the 1st is a little long? thinking in starts in a uphill or similar, and maybe a 5 speed transmission is a overkill for this bike (and maybe or maybe not the speed sensor works after the swap)

Separate the engine to install a new gearbox is not a problem, as needs to be do to install the neo 181 kit crankshaft, so can be a one time install.

Any opinions comments are welcome, regards

is Living the Dream

Member #
    If the engine is similar as the honda grom it is a EZ swap out from 4 speed to 5 speed setup, just have to decide on your F/R sprocket for the finial drive.

I know stock grom sprocket setup is 15/34 T

good luck

is In love with motorcycles since

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    If the engine is similar as the honda grom it is a EZ swap out from 4 speed to 5 speed setup, just have to decide on your F/R sprocket for the finial drive.

I know stock grom sprocket setup is 15/34 T

good luck
    Monkey is 15/34 T and I'm 90% sure that the gear set is same to, so is interesting that most people don't feel same from 1st to 2nd. Maybe most people have plenty of flat areas where drive this funny toys?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
    Monkey is 15/34 T and I'm 90% sure that the gear set is same to, so is interesting that most people don't feel same from 1st to 2nd. Maybe most people have plenty of flat areas where drive this funny toys?
    I'm running a BBK kit on my grom, I moved up from 170-183-2v engine to 181-4v engine and there is a huge difference in power and getup and go. Been doing this for awhile and the biggest finding was curing the internal crank case pressure via oil catch can system which I assume will be the same for the Monkey bike. I keep my grom as close to stock looking with no fancy paint job or external bling and it is more of a sleeper grom and it surprises cars, trucks and other motorcycles how fast my grom will go with a grom crank case and not a engine transplant of a bigger engine like a CB 300 or 2 stroke 250 etc.

I like the sleeper look.

Hey ride safe out there and have fun, that is what it's all about.
    Monkey Rider Ken likes this.

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Before you drop 5 hundy on a 5 speed...

Try a 7 buck 14T sprocket. It might be all you need... For now.
    Dariusz and Monkey Rider Ken like this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

Sponsored Links