Front Forks
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Front Forks

This is a discussion on Front Forks within the Monkey Builds forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Hi people, for a Monkey, street use (hooligan driving style) the Ohlins FDK107 Fork Kit (compression and rebound graduation) is a overkill and is enough ...

Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dariusz

Thread: Front Forks

  1. #1
    Member
    is In love with motorcycles since
    1979
     

    Member #
    31560
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Caracas - Venezuela
    Posts
    51

    Question Front Forks

    Hi people, for a Monkey, street use (hooligan driving style) the Ohlins FDK107 Fork Kit (compression and rebound graduation) is a overkill and is enough av good set of 68000-04 (or 05) Ohlins Fork Springs with good oil?
    What you think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.
     
    solidjohnny's Avatar
    Member #
    22833
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Honolulu, Hi
    Posts
    662
    For the amount of work it takes to install the fork springs....you really should just do the whole cartridge kit. BUT, if you do decide to go with just the fork springs, I can tell you that you'll need really heavy fork oil. 20WT is still much too light. I have yet to try it, but I think Screaming Eagle (for Harleys) makes a "Heavy" and "Extra Heavy" fork oil (feels almost like gear lube) that would probably work well. For sure the heavy springs and 20wt is still a big improvement over stock.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 05-30-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

  3. #3
    Member
    is In love with motorcycles since
    1979
     

    Member #
    31560
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Caracas - Venezuela
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by solidjohnny View Post
    For the amount of work it takes to install the fork springs....you really should just do the whole cartridge kit. BUT, if you do decide to go with just the fork springs, I can tell you that you'll need really heavy fork oil. 20WT is still much too light. I have yet to try it, but I think Screaming Eagle (for Harleys) makes a "Heavy" and "Extra Heavy" fork oil (feels almost like gear lube) that would probably work well. For sure the heavy springs and 20wt is still a big improvement over stock.
    20 can be too much in general. A heavy oil can looks as good choice but the extra pressure starts to damage the seals very easy and change seals is start again from zero. In example Ohlins I think the biggest oil that have is 10. I have similar question in my Sportster and after change the springs, oil, etc etc finish putting cartridges inside and the improvement is WOW. But for a little bike as the Monkey, I'm not sure if cartridge can be a overkill, and the difference in price is $275 to $75 (plus a good oil and tools in both cases)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.
     
    solidjohnny's Avatar
    Member #
    22833
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Honolulu, Hi
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
    20 can be too much in general. A heavy oil can looks as good choice but the extra pressure starts to damage the seals very easy and change seals is start again from zero. In example Ohlins I think the biggest oil that have is 10. I have similar question in my Sportster and after change the springs, oil, etc etc finish putting cartridges inside and the improvement is WOW. But for a little bike as the Monkey, I'm not sure if cartridge can be a overkill, and the difference in price is $275 to $75 (plus a good oil and tools in both cases)
    You forget that the OEM forks do not really have valving or shim stacks like bigger motorcycles. Trust me 20wt is going to be too light with heavy duty springs. If you do the ohlin's cartridge, you will want to use 5wt fork oil.

    If you do not mind doing the work - try only the springs and heavy oil first. I think it should be good enough for hooligan riding. If you don't like it, you can then buy the Ohlins.
    Last edited by solidjohnny; 05-30-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

  6. #5
    Member
    is In love with motorcycles since
    1979
     

    Member #
    31560
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Caracas - Venezuela
    Posts
    51
    Sounds as a action course...
    solidjohnny likes this.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •