Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles

This is a discussion on Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles within the Monkey Builds forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; The flasher module is indeed behind the headlight on the Grom. There's mucho space in the headlight bucket on the Monkey, so not sure why ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles

is keeping the rubber side down
    like charlie brown
    Member #
    The flasher module is indeed behind the headlight on the Grom. There's mucho space in the headlight bucket on the Monkey, so not sure why the decision to put it under the tank.

Believe it or not, pulling the lines off the tank produces very (very) little fuel run off. I had a full tank as well. The only line that leaked a teeny tiny bit was the black fuel feed fitting on the rear. Just wrap it in a rag as you pull it off. The ones on the left and right hand sides leaked exactly zero drops when removed.

And yep, you need to remove the whole tank. You might be able to squeeze in there and slide the flasher off the bracket on the frame, but you're really going to want to secure the new one properly - and since there's no "natural" way to do that, you're going to be up to your own devices to make that work, and you'll need space. The MNNTHBX flasher has a plastic bracket hanging off the side with a hole in it. I put 2 zip ties thru that, and thru the existing hole on the mount where the OEM one was - one zip tie left, one right, and just tightened them all the way down.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense when you get in there...
    redrick likes this.

is starting to freeze my MONKEY
    off
    Member #
    Thanks for the heads up. Almost ready to take the tank off.
    2014 Black Grom
    2019 Red Monkey

off
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    The flasher module is indeed behind the headlight on the Grom. There's mucho space in the headlight bucket on the Monkey, so not sure why the decision to put it under the tank.

Believe it or not, pulling the lines off the tank produces very (very) little fuel run off. I had a full tank as well. The only line that leaked a teeny tiny bit was the black fuel feed fitting on the rear. Just wrap it in a rag as you pull it off. The ones on the left and right hand sides leaked exactly zero drops when removed.

And yep, you need to remove the whole tank. You might be able to squeeze in there and slide the flasher off the bracket on the frame, but you're really going to want to secure the new one properly - and since there's no "natural" way to do that, you're going to be up to your own devices to make that work, and you'll need space. The MNNTHBX flasher has a plastic bracket hanging off the side with a hole in it. I put 2 zip ties thru that, and thru the existing hole on the mount where the OEM one was - one zip tie left, one right, and just tightened them all the way down.

Everything stated above is true. Just did mine. What a PITA, I'm sure they saved 12" of wire which will equal a savings of millions over the lifetime of selling this bike, but this should be in the headlight bucket.
    Last edited by BUCKNUT; 02-04-2019 at 03:47 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Iíll be diving into this project later in the week. Got the tracking on my mnnthbx order this morning.

Either of you guys have any pictures of the underside of the tank.
    I donít have a copy of the service manual yet to reference

off
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I’ll be diving into this project later in the week. Got the tracking on my mnnthbx order this morning.

Either of you guys have any pictures of the underside of the tank.
    I don’t have a copy of the service manual yet to reference
    I didn't take any pictures. It's not really that hard to do, it's just really tight under there to unplug things. Get a small chunk of 2x4 to lift the tank, put this where you unbolt the tank. Follow Fletcher's directions, they detail it really well.
    redrick likes this.

This user has no status.
    Member #

Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post

Thanks guys. Got the relay swapped out last night.
    Your suggestions and directions made this easy.

I had some concerns but it was fairly straight forward. Slid the tank back and put a block of wood under it and had things switched over in a few minutes.

As you both mentioned getting the lines of is a pain. They donít leave much room.

Much easier if it was behind the headlight ha ha...
    Last edited by redrick; 02-02-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    BUCKNUT likes this.

Gold Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    is Wishing I was riding....
    Member #
    We were able to easily swap the flasher without removing the tank, though there's currently no airbox on our bike, so perhaps that's the difference in access... Glad you guys love the set-up!
    redrick likes this.
    Top Shelf parts & accessories WWW.MNNTHBX.COM

is keeping the rubber side down
    like charlie brown
    Member #
    I finally found some time this evening to do a bit more wrenching.

Got the mnnthbx "monkey tail v2" with rizoma stop/turn lights mounted up.

Super clean and minimal!

Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles-unknown.jpeg
    Fletcher's Monkey Chronicles-unknown-1.jpeg

off
    Member #
    Like the look, I was really torn between this and leaving the chrome fender on.
    2014 Black Grom
    2019 Red Monkey

This user has no status.

Member #
    I really like that. Can you get us a full picture of the bike?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links