Nylon 6/6 for cam chain tension & various other parts
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Nylon 6/6 for cam chain tension & various other parts within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; I was reading through the takegawa 4v thread and ran across the guy that broke a plastic part on the oil pump i believe. he ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SSDMR2300
  • 2 Post By Fox85

Thread: Nylon 6/6 for cam chain tension & various other parts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

I was reading through the takegawa 4v thread and ran across the guy that broke a plastic part on the oil pump i believe. he fabricated a metal bolt to replace his broken plastic part. It peaked my interest and after doing some research I found that Nylon 66 has been used in high performance engines for awhile now. It has a high melting point, it's strong, provides low friction, etc etc

I found some on amazon, you can order all different sizes of rod diameter and length. I ended up ordering a 5/16" x 5 ft long rod for $10

I think Im going to try to fabricate my own cam chain tension bumper with it and also look into this oil pump failure and possible fabricated something up for that.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this material or used it before? It seems pretty strong and durable and quite a good candidate for upgrading some parts on the grom.

I also read that most automobile manufactures use the weaker version Nylon 6 due to cost associated with the more expensive 66 grade.

Im curious as to what grades of polymer the grom uses. If i was a betting man, and I am, my bet is its the cheapest version they could get away with. So this looks promising to me.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm the guy who used the bolt short term. I never had an oil pump failure, it was just the rubber tensioner button. It was replaced with a Finbro nylon button, so you're on the right track.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    ya i just got the rod, im trying to figure out the specs of the finbro cam chain tensioner spacer so i can fab my own. i may end up using it to replace other parts as well. the stuff looks super tough.you wouldnt happen to know your dimensions?

im pretty sure this is the same stuff everyone is selling for a litttle tiny piece for $10. i got 5 feet for that price

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #

Order the Honda rubber part and measure it- it's less than $3
    I used an 8mm shank bolt if that helps, but it was a slip fit and the nylon must be a press fit.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    Order the Honda rubber part and measure it- it's less than $3
    I used an 8mm shank bolt if that helps, but it was a slip fit and the nylon must be a press fit.
    I thought Finbro made a fix for the cam chain tension unit????

This user has no status.

Member #
    Im using the Finbro cam tensioner button. This guy just got some bulk nylon and wanted to make his own.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    ya i just like fabricating my own stuff as a hobby. saves money and i get to learn new things. win/win for me

ive had interest from people who want to buy some. so im just going to post her for future reference. i will sell some.

just send PM your info and we can work it out, 20 cents per inch, buyer pays shipping which im sure could most likely be just a regular letter mail stamp unless you want a couple feet or something. but its so light weight i dont think i would need to ship in any type of special shipping method unless requested. US only tho
    Last edited by MotoTG26; 10-29-2015 at 09:41 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Make a better wheel that presses on the actual cam chain. That's next in line to go n id buy a couple off of you. Mine just took a crap n there's no aftermarket options
    ALanS likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah I second that. My first tensioner wheel shredded itself, I'm probably due for a second. Kitaco makes HD ones for a crf 50, but no Grom one yet as far as I know.
    SSDMR2300 and ALanS like this.

Sponsored Links