125 Engine Build - Help Spend My Money - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

125 Engine Build - Help Spend My Money

This is a discussion on 125 Engine Build - Help Spend My Money within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Assuming stock sprockets and redline, Let's say the 4 speed tops out at 45.7 mph at the top of 3rd gear. It's going to be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 125 Engine Build - Help Spend My Money

This user has no status.

Member #
    Assuming stock sprockets and redline,
    Let's say the 4 speed tops out at 45.7 mph at the top of 3rd gear. It's going to be at 5618 rpm when you shift into 4th, assuming you can shift instantly, which you can't but this is just an example.
    The takegawa 5 speed is going to top out at 50.5 mph in 4th gear. It's going to be at 6208 rpm in 5th, again assuming instant shift time.
    I think the 5 speed would usually give an advantage. You don't want to put it back together and then decide you want the 5 speed and take it all apart again.

Gearing commander doesn't have the takegawa 5 speed but I think the ratios are 35/15 32/19 28/22 26/25 24/26 if you want to plug those numbers in and check it out.
    Last edited by noob; 11-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    Faster acceleration, if you're a good shifter, but the top speed remains the same, correct?
    Takegawa kit has the same 5th gear ratio as the stock 4th.
    Kitaco kit has a shorter 5th ratio (1.0) and will reduce top speed without considering sprocket changes.

Buy a full set of sprockets (34/35/36/37 and 14/15/16) and play with them until you're happy.

I'm running a 14-36 with the Takegawa 5 speed on my 125cc high-comp and it's pretty ideal for my riding and tops out at 72-ish (depending on redline). I am also running a fatter rear tire and a 428 chain so with the stock 420 chain, you can probably squeak a little more top end speed with a 15-37 or 15-36.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

Look up Grom Father, he has a 125cc that makes close to 20hp i think?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninelives17 View Post
    Look up Grom Father, he has a 125cc that makes close to 20hp i think?
    No, don't do this! Run away. Hit up Cameron Jones instead.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I will definitely recommend Cameron Jones Racing. I have his stage 1.2 package on my bike. 12.5 hp on his dyno, stock is 8. Tons of fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer

This user has no status.

Member #
    No, don't do this! Run away. Hit up Cameron Jones instead.
    Care to elaborate a bit? Not trying to argue, just curious on your thoughts.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsaturn7085 View Post
    Care to elaborate a bit? Not trying to argue, just curious on your thoughts.
    Everything surrounding that company is drama and it stems from the owner. He's quite arrogant and he's got a chip on his shoulder. Anytime somebody questions his claims or even sometimes when a person is legitimately trying to learn he responds with a "how dare you question me!?" attitude. It's quite childish. And if there every came a time when you had an issue with his products or you needed help installing or troubleshooting you'd have to deal with that attitude.

Cameron, on the other hand, is a very nice guy and willing to help. I do not have any of his products, but we've chatted a couple of times and he's always very cool and helpful. And his products already have a great reputation.
    Last edited by 50-50; 11-08-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    Paultergeist likes this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Everything surrounding that company is drama and it stems from the owner. He's quite arrogant and he's got a chip on his shoulder. Anytime somebody questions his claims or even sometimes when a person is legitimately trying to learn he responds with a "how dare you question me!?" attitude. It's quite childish. And if there every came a time when you had an issue with his products or you needed help installing or troubleshooting you'd have to deal with that attitude.

Cameron, on the other hand, is a very nice guy and willing to help. I do not have any of his products, but we've chatted a couple of times and he's always very cool and helpful. And his products already have a great reputation.
    In life you will meet people that rub you the wrong way or their attitude sucks but if their products produces results that is all that matters to me. I've met a few of those type of people in life when buying surfing gear, diving gear, car/truck stuff, motorcycle stuff, gun stuff and the list goes on.

In my world of thinking if the product does it job and gets me the results I want that is all that matters.

Like I tell people it's your money spend it the way you want.

Most of the guys I run with that own groms use GFZ hardware, from his HD stud bolts, adjustable cam chain tensioner, cam breather cover, speed spacer and custom one of built cylinder/piston setup "241cc", and his stuff works.

Last of all no matter who you buy your hardware from shit happens, things fail, and such, bottom line is analyze the failure and improve on it and contact the seller stating what happened, most will make things right.

As for the real world, youtube posting of some of these fast Groms, you see the results if the run is good but you will never see the results when the engine goes Ka-boom, just remember that.

I've seen a few posting on youtube of grom wheelies causing engine failure and the poster has fixed the problem for his engine by putting in the modified oil pump with the extended copper tube, and most of these posters are non-seller people or vendors. In life if you are a vendor or sales person you never want to post or shout out your failures.

Ride safe

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    In life you will meet people that rub you the wrong way or their attitude sucks but if their products produces results that is all that matters to me. I've met a few of those type of people in life when buying surfing gear, diving gear, car/truck stuff, motorcycle stuff, gun stuff and the list goes on.

In my world of thinking if the product does it job and gets me the results I want that is all that matters.

Like I tell people it's your money spend it the way you want.

Most of the guys I run with that own groms use GFZ hardware, from his HD stud bolts, adjustable cam chain tensioner, cam breather cover, speed spacer and custom one of built cylinder/piston setup "241cc", and his stuff works.

Last of all no matter who you buy your hardware from shit happens, things fail, and such, bottom line is analyze the failure and improve on it and contact the seller stating what happened, most will make things right.

As for the real world, youtube posting of some of these fast Groms, you see the results if the run is good but you will never see the results when the engine goes Ka-boom, just remember that.

I've seen a few posting on youtube of grom wheelies causing engine failure and the poster has fixed the problem for his engine by putting in the modified oil pump with the extended copper tube, and most of these posters are non-seller people or vendors. In life if you are a vendor or sales person you never want to post or shout out your failures.

Ride safe
    I personally want to buy from a company that is going to support me even if I never need it rather than give me grief when I do need them to stand behind their products. I don't care if they have great products if the service sucks. But that's for everybody to decide on their own.
    Last edited by 50-50; 11-08-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links