15/37 gearing. How far up or down accurate speedometer?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on 15/37 gearing. How far up or down accurate speedometer? within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Hit 67 mph on stock speedo, wondering if accurate or true speed is off by how far.thanks in advance for any info....

Thread: 15/37 gearing. How far up or down accurate speedometer?

jsk
    This user has no status.

Member #

Hit 67 mph on stock speedo, wondering if accurate or true speed is off by how far.thanks in advance for any info.

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Try entering your setup here:. https://www.gearingcommander.com/
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk View Post
    Hit 67 mph on stock speedo, wondering if accurate or true speed is off by how far.thanks in advance for any info.
    Stock gearing is 15/34 and 15/37 gearing is 9% lower, so your speedometer reads 9% faster. This makes an indicated 60 mph on your speedometer actually 55 mph. This is in addition to the stock speedometer's already high reading which makes your actual speed about 53-54 mph.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

jsk
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    Stock gearing is 15/34 and 15/37 gearing is 9% lower, so your speedometer reads 9% faster. This makes an indicated 60 mph on your speedometer actually 55 mph. This is in addition to the stock speedometer's already high reading which makes your actual speed about 53-54 mph.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation.That was exactly the information I was looking for.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have one method to recommend. There are numerous speedometer apps that you can download for free.
    1. Download an app.
    2. Turn it on and run the Grom on a level space at 60mph (based on the phone app speed). Identify the speed you Grom indicates.
    3. Upon returning from your ride, you can calculate the variation of Grom indicator/Actual speed.
    There are several electronic correction devices which can be wired (Plug and Play) into your wiring harness to adjust the corrected speed error with whatever gear choices you make.
    Good luck!
    REinNC

This user has no status.

Member #
    Download a speedo app for your phone and check your speed with that.

jsk
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the other suggestions to figure out actual top speed vs speedometer. Much appreciated.

is Member

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    This is in addition to the stock speedometer's already high reading
    I checked my speedometer on stock gearing with GPS and radar and it was dead on, no more than 0.5mph difference at 55mph. Also checked the odometer over a ~15 mile distance and found it to be near-perfect.

I have ridden a Grom with lowered gearing and found the stock setup to be much better, I think most of what people 'feel' when they mess with the gearing is a placebo based partly on their expectations, and partly on their now-inaccurate speedometer readings.

If you do change your gearing though, you should consider a speedometer recalibration tool. In addition to avoiding the nuisance of constant mental adjustments to guess your speed, you will also preserve the accuracy of your odometer for maintenance intervals, resale value, and in some cases insurance purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/OclockLabs-Sp...dp/B01JLL4V3A/

Sponsored Links