125 piston options
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

125 piston options

This is a discussion on 125 piston options within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Hi OK, after collecting various parts for an engine build I ve turned direction and decided to stick with stock bore. Now out of the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dubSolo

Thread: 125 piston options

This user has no status.

Member #

125 piston options

Hi
    OK, after collecting various parts for an engine build I ve turned direction and decided to stick with stock bore.
    Now out of the collection of parts I have, definitely want to use the Koso cam and I also have the option of getting a the TB valve set with double springs put into a stock head and then ported.
    What are the best piston options currently available for stock bore that would accommodate the stock valves with the koso cam or the cam and TB valves if I go that route? I really I would like to up the compression a bit also. I ve looked at the Takegawa 12.5:1 Forged piston and it’s a work of art but doubt that would work even with the koso cam and standard valves... unless someone knows otherwise😬

Cheers

is 8.5.Zer0's Fastest!Grom

Member #
    Florida, Respect the Locals and our Beach!
    Odometer
    That is a NIGHTMARE piston was my first option when upgrading, Only one person I know of that got it to work with out seizing, and that was a collective effort from member Estallings15 and David over at DHM...

I ended up going with DHM High Comp Piston with same ratio over the takegawa, but member Estallings15 is still currently running that piston hitting speeds of 80+mph

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...ton-ratio.html
    estallings15 likes this.
    Super!Stock 2018 DSR Honda Grom

Dhm Custom Hi Comp Piston
    Dhm Race Ported Cylinder Hd
    Dhm Velocity Intake Dcr2 Cam
    Hindle Exhaust Stock Ported TB
    Lightend Flywheel and Oil spinner
    Takgawa Crank Support 4th Bearing
    Takgawa Hi Ign Coil w/NGK Race Cable
    Takgawa Hi Flw Oil Pump w/Opmid Gauge
    EBC Srk122 kit Billet plate w/SMR Springs
    EBC Brake Pads w/ Wave Rotors
    SpeedLinez Brake Lines w/Short Levers
    Ohlin Fork Springs, Ohlin HO 424 Rear Shock
    GF Billet Vented Cam Cover and Speed Spacers

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for the heads up, guess the Takegawa piston is function over form then! The DHM piston I ve looked at before but has shown Out of stock for what must be a month now, plus being in the UK a quick turn round of spares if needed is impossible. I might have to build it up with a standard piston but wary of losing compression because of the valve overlap on the koso cam??
    Cheers

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is wishing I could keep all the
    bikes I've owned.

Member #
    You can still go decently fast with the stock piston. I would continue on with the build
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    It seems like there is always one more thing to buy, THEN I’ll really notice a difference in performance.

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    So you have a couple options-

Kitaco High Compression piston which is suited for stock valves and would need fly cut for larger valves
    Takegawa High Compression piston which is known to have issues in design with standard cylinder bore
    DHM High Compression piston which is suited for any type of valve you would ever consider
    Finbro High Compression Piston which is not the highest of compression, but still worthy

There are others I have come across on Webike but nothing else worth really mentioning. Best option by far is the DHM piston. Kitaco is a great piston but it's limited to stock valves unless you want to deal with having it machined.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grom Reaper View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, guess the Takegawa piston is function over form then! The DHM piston I ve looked at before but has shown Out of stock for what must be a month now, plus being in the UK a quick turn round of spares if needed is impossible. I might have to build it up with a standard piston but wary of losing compression because of the valve overlap on the koso cam??
    Cheers
    You need to reach out to David directly on FB.. I believe he has them in stock and may not be aware his store says otherwise.

Sponsored Links