After compression test, engine not turning at all
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on After compression test, engine not turning at all within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Hey guys, so I've got a 2015 Grom, and it's been down for quite a while (nearly a year) as life has been pretty hectic, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: After compression test, engine not turning at all

This user has no status.

Member #

Hey guys, so I've got a 2015 Grom, and it's been down for quite a while (nearly a year) as life has been pretty hectic, and I decided I'm gonna do all the repairs myself and see what I can learn. Anyway, I went and got a compression tester, because we were able to get the engine to turn (not sure if correct terminology, but where the engine tries to start, but doesn't turn over completely) I was getting 60 psi on the test, which i know is way too low. So I got new head/base gasket from my local dealer yesterday, but I wanted to make sure my compression test was accurate, and I know my battery had lost some voltage from the original compression testing, so I disconnected the battery and charged it while at work. I get home, throw the battery in, and now when I hit the ignition, the engine does nothing, and the attempt to start the bike just kills the speedo screen. Any ideas as to what may be going on?

is a squirrel

Member #
    Bad battery? When you turn the kill switch on, do you hear the fuel pump priming? (I think that's what is happening when you turn the kill switch on) It's a distinct noise.

Stupid question, but is it connected completely and correctly? Is the engine seized up for some reason? Try cycling the engine through the flywheel/inspection hole on the stator/flywheel cover just to make sure. Turn counter clockwise if you try it.
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    Bad battery? When you turn the kill switch on, do you hear the fuel pump priming? (I think that's what is happening when you turn the kill switch on) It's a distinct noise.

Stupid question, but is it connected completely and correctly? Is the engine seized up for some reason? Try cycling the engine through the flywheel/inspection hole on the stator/flywheel cover just to make sure. Turn counter clockwise if you try it.
    I do hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the killswitch on. I disconnected and reconnected the battery about 3 times last night just to be sure that it was connected properly.
    The engine shouldnt be seized, that's what I was originally afraid of about a year ago when she went down on me. But with the recent cycling of the engine to do the compression test, I'd say shes probably not. Know of any video or other guides on the flywheel inspection hole? Im a very amateur mechanic, so I dont wanna mess anything up. (Definitely taking down a note about turning counter clockwise)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is a squirrel

Member #
    Here's a quick video. It's about checking the valve clearances, but he cycles the engine with the flywheel like I mentioned. My first step would be to make sure it isn't seized. Check all fuses, then try and jump the bike to see if it is the battery.

2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    I admire you wanting to learn about twisting wrenches on your Grom. I remember when I started to learn mechanics, I messed up more stuff than I care to remember. Potentially you might do the same. You have been warned.

Can you get someone to give you a hand, or at least look over your shoulder as you troubleshoot this issue? Might save some coin & headaches in the long run.

Regardless:

First stop by your local Harbor Freight & pick up a 5 buck Multimeter. Remove spark plug.

Connect it to your battery and try to turn over your Grom. You will probably see that the voltage is below par. Make sure that the battery is charged & repeat the test after you have rocked the bike in gear to make sure the motor is not locked up.

While you are at it, check for spark with the plug out.

You said that you charged the battery, what amperage did you charge at? If you charged at anything over 2 amps (and that is too much, preferably 750 milliamps, .75 amp) you could have roached the battery.

Do not worry about replacing the gaskets yet. We have more things to check out first.

Report back with your findings & we will go on to step 2.

Good luck!
    LordSquirrel likes this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by UlsigaEnigma View Post
    I decided I'm gonna do all the repairs myself and see what I can learn.
    Your Grom is the perfect bike to learn mechanics... simple, rugged, good quality, easy to repair.

I highly recommend getting a Honda Grom shop manual and watching youtube videos. They will have everything you need to know.

After compression test, engine not turning at all-img_1219.jpg
    zroger73 and 50-50 like this.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thanks for all the help and quick responses guys!

WV, I'm gonna go ahead and try all that when I get home from work tonight, and see what happens, I'll post what I find

Tooter, I've got a PDF version of the grom service manual already. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should have everything the paper copy would have, I'd think.
    tooter likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by UlsigaEnigma View Post
    Thanks for all the help and quick responses guys!

WV, I'm gonna go ahead and try all that when I get home from work tonight, and see what happens, I'll post what I find

Tooter, I've got a PDF version of the grom service manual already. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should have everything the paper copy would have, I'd think.
    Yes it does.
    I just like old fashioned hard copy non electronic books.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    The grom is the best bike to learn how to do things on the motorcycle and the more you remove stuff, change stuff the more your going to learn how to take apart a motorcycle engine or parts and have them organized in such a way that you can put the mc back together with out worrying something may go wrong.

Doing all my grom engine work made me more confident on working on bigger bikes that I have such as my 99 Kawasaki ZX6r which I had to take a part the carb system, fuel system and spark plugs to find out what was causing my ZX not to fire up and run.

If you check out some of my builds esp the Frankenstein build I have pic and suggestion on how to organize your build or repair
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 08-09-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    tooter likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm finally back after a crazy few months with a battery. Turns out it was the first issue. I ran the compression test again, and got 70 psi still, so I'm still thinking that's the issue. Anybody still around and wanna give me their input? Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links