Noise after cam install.
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Noise after cam install.

This is a discussion on Noise after cam install. within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Well I dropped my tb parts cam of to get a cam installed and they reckon it's making a noise after they installed it. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By asume

Thread: Noise after cam install.

This user has no status.

Member #

Noise after cam install.

Well I dropped my tb parts cam of to get a cam installed and they reckon it's making a noise after they installed it.

I told them to set the valves sales as stock. 004/.007

Any ideas of what may be causing this?

This user has no status.

Member #
    TB cam is based very closely to a DCR cam which is a regrind, Due to this the base diameter is small making the valve lashes that are stock essentially bigger percentage wise, thus creating more noise, also ramp rates and lift are greater so there will be even more noise.

Needless to say its normal, run it, keep valve lash settings stock at .004 and .007, take it for a full heat cycle of about 10-20 miles and check valves again when fully cold. Then check again in about 100 miles to make sure things havent moved and then call it good till the next scheduled valve check.

This user has no status.

Member #
    If it's a ticking noise then thats normal. Also, I hope whoever installed it added locktite to the cam bolt. I don't want to scare you but some users on here have had the bolt come loose and boom.
    50-50 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    It's by the Honda dealer. Hopefully they know bit then again there about to loose the rights 2 honds

is Living the Dream

Member #
    When I was running BrianS 170 BBK kit engine using the Crower reground cam I set my valve lash at .002 on intake and .003 on exhaust or if I was worried about heat expanding the metal parts I would set the intake at .003 and exhaust at .004

I know my Takegawa 181-4v valve lash are set on both the intake/exhaust at .002 and max at .003. I would set mind at .002 with .003 unable to slide under the lash.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gros21 View Post
    It's by the Honda dealer. Hopefully they know bit then again there about to loose the rights 2 honds
    Dealers have some of the worst mechanics. I wouldn't have much confidence in them.

The powersports industry is tanking right now so they must be doing something wrong to lose Honda during this rough time.

This user has no status.

Member #
    reset the valves to .003
    2015 Grom - High Compression 125 Build
    2018 Grom - 143cc BigBore
    1986 Spree - 70cc BigBore
    2017 DRZ400SM

This user has no status.

Member #
    OP is running a stock head with stock valves..... your valve lash adjustments should not change from stock. Lash is there for the thermal expansion of the valves, not for the cam. running .002 and .003 is WAY TOO TIGHT imo for a stock 2v setup.

This user has no status.

Member #
    .002-.004 on both sides is normal for a aftermarket cam. Any more than .004 it will be noisy.

Sponsored Links