Oil Catch Can Inside
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Oil Catch Can Inside

This is a discussion on Oil Catch Can Inside within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Hi people, any of you open or have a idea how the Kitaco or the Takegawa Oil Catch Cans works internally? I ask as the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oil Catch Can Inside

is In love with motorcycles since

Member #

Question Oil Catch Can Inside

Hi people, any of you open or have a idea how the Kitaco or the Takegawa Oil Catch Cans works internally?

I ask as the regular ones we can find on e-bay or amazon for $25 collects the oil and relieve the air pressure, but I can only find that the Kitaco or Takegawa return the oil to the engine (using the oil filler cap, and if this is all is easy mod the filler cap to allow a in port), so I'm not sure how it is internally. As in example in this picture:
    Oil Catch Can Inside-s-l500.jpg
    Both the in and the out are upside so gravity is not the answer
    Thanks for the comments, regards
    Dariusz

is a centrifugal oil filter
    fetishist

Member #
    The Takegawa tank has baffles inside it and the oil drains back by gravity, the tank is high and the hose to the oil filler is at the bottom.
    Really not sure it can drain back with the Kitaco catch can, I think it's just a tank that needs to be emptied once in a while. I guess it's connected to the oil filer to provide a bit more pressure release but I might be wrong...

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    that can isn't draining back into the engine by the oil fill port. they're just using the fill port for additional venting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    pressure is coming from the oil spout hole and the OEM crank vent hole

just remove your filler cap for the oil and start your engine and you can feel the pressure coming from the crank case, same pressure that is coming from the OEM crank case vent hole.

The third hose goes to the intake valve cover, it acts like a vacuum and compensates for the pressure coming from case and collecting any oil mist in the system.

the can itself will be collecting the sludge that is made when oil and condense hot air mix turning into water that mixes with the oil mist causing brownish white sludge.

If you have a see thru cam cover you can see this sludge forming on the wall of the see thru cover. The sludge that you see on a see-thur cam cover is the condense hot air and oil mist from the return line going into the intake valve cover. You will have more sludge if your lines are not sealed right which would suck in fresh air which has moisture and that gets heated up causing sludge.

this is my see-thru cover on my Takegawa 4v head
    Oil Catch Can Inside-img_4413.jpg
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 05-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The kitaco looks like it has a clear tube at the bottom with a plug at the end. Probably whatever drips out of the baffle material collects there. There's probably three separate baffle chambers and a common area at the bottom of the can. Air goes in through the two baffles connected to the crankcase side hoses and comes out through the third baffle chamber connected to the intake manifold hose. I haven't cut one open, just guessing.
    Last edited by noob; 05-20-2019 at 11:48 AM.

is In love with motorcycles since

Member #
    I ask about the return, as is in the product description (in the HR web site):

Code:
    From Kitaco RELEASE PRESSURE INSIDE THE CASE TO PREVENT POWER LOSS. ALSO KEEP BEST TEMPERATURE INSIDE THE CASE CATCH TANK RECEIVES OIL AND RELEASES ONLY PRESSURE IN THE AIR. OIL GOES BACK TO FILLER CAP ALUMINUM WITH CARBON ROLL. O.D.×LENGTH : φ63×115mm CAPACITY :220cc
    The sentence that make me think is the one "Oil goes back to filler cap"

If this is not true, using any brand oil catch can do same job, as all do: 1. vent to atmosphere the pressure and 2. collect oil residues (but you need to check in a constant base to drain the oil and complete the oil to the engine)

Some like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PORT-univ....c100005.m1851 and cost a fraction of the Kitaco or takegawa

or I'm missing something here?

is hiding the credit card from
    the Grom!!

Member #
    Odometer
    That Kitaco can you pictured isn't draining any oil back to the engine. There are 3 hoses on there. 1 vent coming come the crankcase, 1 vent from the oil fill hole, and the 3rd hose is going to the intake for vacuum. oil is draining into the clear hose below it that you would need to drain every once in a while.

The Takegawa kit sits higher on the bike under the left fairing and drains back to the oil fill hole.
    Oil Catch Can Inside-vqasdkzftqkjz544nl4faa.jpg
    My old setup, hose on right comes from crankcase, hose on right vents to atmosphere to a filter, bottom hose drains back to oil fill, and the hose coming from the cam cover vents to atmosphere. I have since changed the setup to have the cam cover hose feed to the front of the can as well and it's working much better now.
    Oil Catch Can Inside-img_0536.jpg
    2017 Grom
    Koso 4V GF Ported / Drowsports 181 piston / Takegawa Oil Pump, Cam Chain Tensioner, Crank Support Kit & Catch Can
    Koso 34mm TB GF Ported / DynoJet PCV, WB2 & AFR / GF Manual Cam Chain Adjuster
    Drow Sports CF Intake & Oil Cooler / Hindle Exhaust / OPMID 2 Temp Gauge
    Kitaco Clutch Cover / SMR 6 Disc Clutch & 60% Springs / Chimera Clutch Plate
    RacingBros Adj Fork Kit and Shicane HLR Shock / Vagabond Fender Eliminator
    Seat Concepts

This user has no status.

Member #
    Does all this mean that the takegawa is a superior design , or at least less maintenance?
    2016 SF Grom (Australia)
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa high flow oil pump
    Kitaco clutch springs (3/6)
    Takegawa 3rd bearing
    Kitaco clutch plate
    HEL braided lines front and rear
    Ohlins fork kit
    YSS Stage 2 rear shock
    Protaper honda mini bars
    Takegawa high flow air filter (un-installed, too noisy)
    Moriwaki Megaphone
    Clear indicator covers and switchback indicators with led rear
    MML monster eye conversion
    Kitaco solid bar mounts
    Fender eliminator
    Shorty mirrors
    14T front sprocket
    Speedo healer

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by blackonblacklikeatimtam View Post
    Does all this mean that the takegawa is a superior design , or at least less maintenance?
    For me the Takegawa is King and I have two 181-4v groms with them and so does my buddy with a one off 241cc 4v grom. Yes getting rid of crank case pressure is the best way to increase reliability and cool down your engine

My DIY connection testing of the Takegawa catch can and this is the best setup for me. The two front connection, one goes to the original CCV hole, the second one goes to the Takegawa intake valve cover, the bottom hole goes back to your oil filler spout hole, the rear of the can also has two connection, one I plugged up and the second hole goes to a small filter and this is used to vent the CCV pressure and any contaminants
    Oil Catch Can Inside-img_5046-copy.jpg

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    You can't just install can at random ° rotation and random hose plugging... You have to maximize the "return" so when you knee drag on the right MAYBE something back to crank. But in the end I do not find nothing critic inside the can, just usual foamy cappuccino cream.. 5 CL max every year. So just don't care

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links