the new 'yuminashi' ecu and PCV/WB install/ initial test
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on the new 'yuminashi' ecu and PCV/WB install/ initial test within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; So, i got the motor settled back and wanted to experiment with that yuminashi/keihin 'plug and play' ecu that was mentioned a few weeks ago. ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: the new 'yuminashi' ecu and PCV/WB install/ initial test

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #

So, i got the motor settled back and wanted to experiment with that yuminashi/keihin 'plug and play' ecu that was mentioned a few weeks ago.

I stuffed it in and set the timing to zero on the PCV as i have no idea what the curve is on the new unit. fired it up and left the same fuel trims in the PCV as was in there with the old (stock) ecu.

Initially, it ran really rich. since the new ecu i am sure had a richer afr target, this made sense. so i set the cells across the board int eh auto tune trim tables to -5, and it then at least got rideable.

I have to say, the ecu learned very quickly. in the closed loop , the afrs were at 13-13.2 and hit targets in open loop very fast. The bike ran smoother as well, somewhat, and was atad more responsive. since there's no rev limiter in the ecu anymore, i set the fuel tables at 11k and up to 11 to act as a soft limiter, and retarded the timing back 3 degrees.

I need to get the idle sorted a bit, seems ok but not perfect, but thats about the only complaint so far.

my plan is to see if the PCV can now be used to tune the cells from 0-60 and not fight the ecu. i'm not sure. i'll get a solid map done, than test this later. BUT, the PCV/WB2 does play with the yuminashi/keihin ecu. IF it can do the closed loop area now as well, us legacy power commander users can now get full tunability in the full range of the map.

considering the -5 setting in the auto tune helped it settle done initially, i'm guessing it might actually work.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is Big Ol' Pile of Dem Bones

Member #
    This is good to hear. Haven't had the chance to get mine installed yet (too much doctor crap and scheduling more surgery after bikeweek). I need to pull the motor and split the cases so I can get the 1:1 4th gear in, so I was just going to do that, the new ported head, and the ECU all at once. Also need figure out what the hell is loose in the front end, may need need stem bearings after my accident.

Appreciate your feedback so far, keep us posted if anything changes.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Good information there, like I said I know of one grom owner from SF who had a 125cc engine tuned using the Finbro ECM and WB02 and was able to tune his grom.

I believe with the right hardware F/I, throttle body, exhaust, etc and this could be a good alternative for builders of BBK kit groms by owners on a budget.

Thanks for the update.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    .....for 65 € total gain

is Searching for Topspeed ;-)

Member #
    I am interested to see further results.

Is the hickup at 9500rpm gone when the PCV fights the rev limiter of stock ecu?
    Neo 181 Kit
    34 Take TB Takegawa Intake Kit
    Kitaco Cam Chain Tensioner
    Kitaco Short 4th Gear (25/25)
    60% Kitaco Clutch Springs Reinforced Clutch Plate
    Kitaco Oil Pump
    3rd Crankshaft Bearing
    Kitaco Clutch Cover
    Clear Cam Cover
    Hindle Exhaust
    PCV with WB2
    Kitaco 5 Row Oil Cooler
    G-Craft Swingarm

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickpx200 View Post
    I am interested to see further results.

Is the hickup at 9500rpm gone when the PCV fights the rev limiter of stock ecu?
    yes. and that's the primary reason why i got it, i assumed it would be smooth there and it is.

On the ride back yesterday it seemed to be running a bit rich, but still good. I'll have to play with it see if it smoothes out. Im also going to try to turn the autotune just flat 'off' and see where the afrs land with it on its own with a zero map.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

Member #
    That sounds great, do you if the ABS ist still working with this ECU?
    Neo 181 Kit
    Kitaco Oil Pump
    3rd Crankshaft Bearing
    Kitaco Clutch Cover
    Clear Cam Cover
    Hindle Exhaust
    PCV with WB2
    Kitaco 5 Row Oil Cooler
    G-Craft Swingarm

Member #
    no abs on mine, thank god.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickpx200 View Post
    That sounds great, do you if the ABS ist still working with this ECU?

as far as i know, abs ecu / unit and all its controls are separate from the main ECU, but i could be wrong.

Member #
    DHMotoring, the Guy who flashes the Original ECU claims the ABS System ist part of the ECU he can Flash only non ABS ECU ore otherwise you can put a standart ECU in a ABS Grom but the ABS won`t work anymore.
    I have no non ABS ECU so i can`t check it by myself.
    Neo 181 Kit
    Kitaco Oil Pump
    3rd Crankshaft Bearing
    Kitaco Clutch Cover
    Clear Cam Cover
    Hindle Exhaust
    PCV with WB2
    Kitaco 5 Row Oil Cooler