Honda Grom banner

The EJK is ready.

36K views 76 replies 21 participants last post by  Wheelie4days 
#1 · (Edited)
The Dobeck Performance EJK fuel controller is ready for the market. The part number is 8110049.

You can find it for order at this link, EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

Discounts available to forum members.

Please call or email to get your promotional code.

United States 877-764-3337
International 406-388-2377
sales@dobeckperformance.com

I am trying to get the bike back on the Axis dyno, in order to get a video of some AFR numbers. The Axis bike dyno is currently being used by the crew at Indian to help unveil their new bike.

Be very careful buying these controllers on E-Bay. Someone was advertising selling the Grom EJK controller before we even finished it. Any controllers that are not purchased through an authorized Dobeck Performance dealer are not covered by the two year warranty.

If you have a special build that needs a custom controller, please let us know.

See less See more
#7 ·
Does it have the ability to change ignition timing? I plan on doing a big bore kit and would like this option available for tuning.

#9 ·
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

"Will this tuner be able to tune closed loop or at least disable o2 sensor,
Thank you.."

The EJK is using the O2 sensor to help make adjustments.

"Does it have the ability to change ignition timing? I plan on doing a big bore kit and would like this option available for tuning."

It does not control timing. For most riders, timing is not an issue. If you would like to get an EJK that can control timing, get in touch with me and we can discuss the DIY program. Our DIY program gives the rider the ability to access and re-write the program in the controller if they want. The DIY controllers can adjust timing. Its just not something that most riders need.

patrick@dobeckperformance.com
877-764-3337
406-388-2377

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

#11 ·
Hey man, I have had to EJK for a few weeks now but rode it for the first time yesterday for about 2 hrs.
I have to KN intake and aftermarket high flow exhaust. The EJK is supposed to be set up for these two mods out the box but I question that somewhat. While the bike is not running lean or anything I do believe the fuel could be increased more as the tuner comes out of the box. I do believe I have made an good choice in buying the EJK, but it will require you to most likely increase fuel with those two mods you have on your bike.
I must also note I have run into an issue with the EJK help website bc it is NOT compatible with Apple products. I have apple laptop and iPad so I can't even view/use the EJK help tuner which I think I necessary to understand how to use the product.
I'm hoping EJK will see this post and go forward with a program to help all of us Apple users.
Hope this review helps!

#14 ·
Base Settings: View controller feature and light setting descriptions
MODE:GREENYELLOWREDGREEN/BLUEYELLOW/BLUERED/BLUEBLUE LED
FEATURES:GREEN FUELYELLOW FUELRED FUELVC OFFSETYEL LWR SW PTRED LWR SW PTVCB ACTIVE
LIGHT SETTINGS:65.543.544.5
Initial recommended base settings for stage 1 modifications.
LIGHT SETTINGS:5550.544.5VCB ACTIVE
Controller settings for diagnostic purposes of running 0% change through entire drive cycle. These settings mean your vehicle is running on the stock ECU map.

on the ejk site it show this i believe the light Gray is the the setting out of the box and the dark gray is the recommend stage1 ie air filter and exhaust setting ! but im not a 100% sure !

#20 ·
Base Settings: View controller feature and light setting descriptions
MODE:GREENYELLOWREDGREEN/BLUEYELLOW/BLUERED/BLUEBLUE LED
FEATURES:GREEN FUELYELLOW FUELRED FUELVC OFFSETYEL LWR SW PTRED LWR SW PTVCB ACTIVE
LIGHT SETTINGS:65.543.544.5
Initial recommended base settings for stage 1 modifications.
LIGHT SETTINGS:5550.544.5VCB ACTIVE
Controller settings for diagnostic purposes of running 0% change through entire drive cycle. These settings mean your vehicle is running on the stock ECU map.

on the ejk site it show this i believe the light Gray is the the setting out of the box and the dark gray is the recommend stage1 ie air filter and exhaust setting ! but im not a 100% sure !

No, the light grey is de-tuned. In other words, what the factory bike is stock.

The red zone is wot/heavy load. I richen the red, it richen the whole wot zone didn't affect lower throttle.
Here's my results from riding past few days about 200 miles.

With the red zone increased it richend the top end ..but it riches the whole rpm range at wot.. Right now at wot, I'm at in fourth gear and it's a heavy load gear my ratios are. 5.5 k...11......6k...11.7......7k...12..6....8k....13.2 .....9k 13.8

But if you lean the red zone out the the low wot rpms around 7k are better but at redline your very lean.

I'm trying to figure out how to lean the ratios at 7 and below but leave above 7 k alone..

I played with the transfer zones adjustment but it didn't seem to affect the low rpm wot rich condition.. I read there is a re flash option for the ejk . im going to look in to that.

Otherwise the tuner is good . I really like it better over bazzaz.. I can actually richen low throttle.

I really hope everyone gets a wideband ...I thinks its a good investment on the grom if your going to use a any tuner.

These are my results for my bike and results might vary on other bikes.

Sent from my A100 using HondaGrom.net mobile app
The way I understand it, the EJK does not tune to certain RPM ranges like you would with some other controllers. The color "zones" are more about throttle position than they are about RPM. When you look at the Flash animation on the EJK website (non Apple users), dont think of the color graph in terms of RPM - that is, the Red zone is not the high RPM zone - it is for whenever you are at WOT. So if you cruise at 6k RPM and it is way rich, lower the Green zone and see what happens. Green is cruise - Yellow is under acceleration load - Red is hair on fire WOT.

#15 · (Edited)
My current settings.
For.. full yoshi. Voyager
3.3l intake hose. Uni filter in stock airbox.with lid and about 6 1" holes drilled where snorkel is and box divider gutted..

With stage one bottom and acceleration feels good but top end 7.5k plus to rev limiter was lean 15.5-16 a/f.
I ended up for now with these

G6. Y5:5. Red 5.5 . Gb 3.5. yb 4 rb 4.5

.top end a/f is around 13.3-13.8...feels good but bellow 7k its little rich ..I'm currently working on fixing that.. when weather permits

Warning ....These settings are for my bike and setup and might not work on other bikes..
Braap

#30 ·
The reason that the fueling starts to change around 7,000 RPM is because the ECU is switching from a closed loop fuel map to an open loop fuel map. We are using the narrow band O2 sensor to help manipulate the fueling on the Grom. You are going to want to adjust the green/blue fourth mode, which is the VC Offset, in order to tune in below 7,000 RPM. Try adjusting it down (to the left) one one light increment at a time and then go and ride it to see how it feels and where the AFR is at, if you have an AFR gauge. By adjusting the green/blue (4th)mode, you will be changing the entire stock fuel map. You may need to make adjustments to the green (1st), yellow (2nd) and red (3rd) modes as well, depending on how much you change the green/blue (4th) mode. Again, the fueling is changing because the ECU is making adjustments to the fueling based on the narrow band O2 sensor below 7,000 RPM. Above 7,000 RPM the ECU is making open loop adjustments based on what the O2 sensor readings were at the 7,000 RPM switch point. So, if you were adding 20% fuel based on the O2 sensor readings when it went into open loop, it will continue to make a 20% adjustment throughout WOT above 7,000 RPM. The narrow band O2 sensor is very involved in the fueling of this bike.

The Grom ECU has a base fueling map that it makes small adjustments to based on the narrow band O2 sensor readings it is getting. When in closed loop it is making these adjustments on the fly, when in open loop, it is making these adjustments based on what the average change was during closed loop. If you haven't already reset your ECU, it may be helpful depending on what types of changes you have previously made to your Grom, before installing the EJK.

The EJK is working off of load based technology. It is monitoring a couple of different signals coming out of the ECU to determine what type of load is being placed on the engine. We are not just comparing RPM's to throttle position. This means that the EJK is constantly making adjustments to the fueling based on the real world riding environment. It is fueling the Grom differently at the same RPM's and throttle position, for each gear. A good example of this would be riding through hilly areas or in strong winds. The EJK can sense when you are riding up or down hill, or, when you are riding with a strong tail wind or into a strong head wind. It senses this because the load on the engine changes and then the EJK makes adjustments to the fueling accordingly.

Just a basic run through of the six modes that you are adjusting on the Grom EJK:

Green (1st) mode-allows you make adjustments to the idle/light cruise fueling. When your Grom is sitting there idling or when you are already up to a speed and just maintaining that speed.
Yellow (2nd) mode-allows you to adjust the fueling during acceleration. Anytime you are accelerating, this is the mode that is affecting the fueling.
Red (3rd) mode-WOT. Anytime you are at WOT this is the mode affecting your fueling.
Green/Blue (4th) mode-This is controlling the VC Offset. We are using the narrow band O2 sensor to affect the overall fueling map of the Grom. Adjusting this mode will affect the entire fuel map, not just individual parts of the power curve.
Yellow/Blue (5th) mode-The yellow (2nd) mode lower switch point. This mode allows you to bring the acceleration fueling in sooner or later, depending on how you want your Grom to run.
Red/Blue (6th) mode-The red (3rd) mode lower switch point. This mode allows you to bring the WOT fueling in sooner or later, depending on how you would like your Grom to run.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you for choosing Dobeck Performance.
Awesome post... Thank you.... Explained alot... about voltage offset, also i have reset ecu few times to see the diffrences.......im going to play with the VC in few days when weather is back in in the 40s and report back.

Thank you..

#31 ·
The reason that the fueling starts to change around 7,000 RPM is because the ECU is switching from a closed loop fuel map to an open loop fuel map. We are using the narrow band O2 sensor to help manipulate the fueling on the Grom. You are going to want to adjust the green/blue fourth mode, which is the VC Offset, in order to tune in below 7,000 RPM. Try adjusting it down (to the left) one one light increment at a time and then go and ride it to see how it feels and where the AFR is at, if you have an AFR gauge. By adjusting the green/blue (4th)mode, you will be changing the entire stock fuel map. You may need to make adjustments to the green (1st), yellow (2nd) and red (3rd) modes as well, depending on how much you change the green/blue (4th) mode. Again, the fueling is changing because the ECU is making adjustments to the fueling based on the narrow band O2 sensor below 7,000 RPM. Above 7,000 RPM the ECU is making open loop adjustments based on what the O2 sensor readings were at the 7,000 RPM switch point. So, if you were adding 20% fuel based on the O2 sensor readings when it went into open loop, it will continue to make a 20% adjustment throughout WOT above 7,000 RPM. The narrow band O2 sensor is very involved in the fueling of this bike.

The Grom ECU has a base fueling map that it makes small adjustments to based on the narrow band O2 sensor readings it is getting. When in closed loop it is making these adjustments on the fly, when in open loop, it is making these adjustments based on what the average change was during closed loop. If you haven't already reset your ECU, it may be helpful depending on what types of changes you have previously made to your Grom, before installing the EJK.

The EJK is working off of load based technology. It is monitoring a couple of different signals coming out of the ECU to determine what type of load is being placed on the engine. We are not just comparing RPM's to throttle position. This means that the EJK is constantly making adjustments to the fueling based on the real world riding environment. It is fueling the Grom differently at the same RPM's and throttle position, for each gear. A good example of this would be riding through hilly areas or in strong winds. The EJK can sense when you are riding up or down hill, or, when you are riding with a strong tail wind or into a strong head wind. It senses this because the load on the engine changes and then the EJK makes adjustments to the fueling accordingly.

Just a basic run through of the six modes that you are adjusting on the Grom EJK:

Green (1st) mode-allows you make adjustments to the idle/light cruise fueling. When your Grom is sitting there idling or when you are already up to a speed and just maintaining that speed.
Yellow (2nd) mode-allows you to adjust the fueling during acceleration. Anytime you are accelerating, this is the mode that is affecting the fueling.
Red (3rd) mode-WOT. Anytime you are at WOT this is the mode affecting your fueling.
Green/Blue (4th) mode-This is controlling the VC Offset. We are using the narrow band O2 sensor to affect the overall fueling map of the Grom. Adjusting this mode will affect the entire fuel map, not just individual parts of the power curve.
Yellow/Blue (5th) mode-The yellow (2nd) mode lower switch point. This mode allows you to bring the acceleration fueling in sooner or later, depending on how you want your Grom to run.
Red/Blue (6th) mode-The red (3rd) mode lower switch point. This mode allows you to bring the WOT fueling in sooner or later, depending on how you would like your Grom to run.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you for choosing Dobeck Performance.
Great post thank you for posting it alot clearer now . i got mine to day so hope fully be ably to get it installed soon ;) as for the instructional demo it now seems to be working for me on my mac but not my ipad ! keep you the good work

#35 · (Edited)
Anyone running ejk can you please see if..... When your 5-25% throttle the green and blue lights up.... Mine is doing that and it goes off the chart rich less than 10 a/f.. Even sometimes at idle too. So I unpluged the ejk (completely)to get base line data ,and 5-25% throttle was back to normal around 14.7..... So I know its not my bike.. I tried different settings on the ejk but it always going rich at 5-25% throttle.. ..even on stock ejk stock settings.

Also be careful with the injector plug ,maybe check yours ,, I barely touched the wires on the plug while removing and they separated.... No big deal, got it fixed with solder...

Braap

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.