Dead injector?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Dead injector?

This is a discussion on Dead injector? within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Ok, was out last night on the bike and was doing about 90-95 for a run on the interstate for about 2 miles... was running ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Dead injector?

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #

Dead injector?

Ok, was out last night on the bike and was doing about 90-95 for a run on the interstate for about 2 miles... was running great, motor temps were under 200, then it started to breakup after a slowdown/engine braking to take the exit ramp. on the offramp is was sputtering anything over 1/8th throttle. afr's went lean then back to normal, then back to lean acting like it was out of gas...and it finally just died . luckily i made it to a gas station, my friend who was riding behind me on his triumph said there was no backfiring or flame outs.

heres what i know:

-motor still turns over, sounds fine, compression etc except it wont start. sounds like its not getting fuel, but fuel pump does pressure up
    -has plenty of fuel in tank, actually its full. was when it died
    -no engine light was thrown
    -cam chain seems to be goo d(didnt seem to jump time) have clear cam gear cover. no odd mechanical noises were noted

im suspecting the injector died, cant think of anything else unless its the ecu or the power commander, of which neither has given any issue prior.

i'll look at it tonight but was wondering if anybody had had this happen before?

170 4v w 34mm tb and large 10 hole injector. has 4200 on it. w pcv and wb2.
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Had problem like that twice, once was the white wire on my WB02 sensor unit came loose, second time was that my WB-02 sensor went south.
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 03-01-2017 at 08:43 AM.

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Most likey not your issue as it wouldn't account for your going lean, but... fouled a plug? or other plug related issue? Probably not.

pull the injector, but leave connected to the fuel line, power on the bike, let the pump prime, and connect 5v to the pins (or even 12). (check polarity) she should spray fuel everywhere. Maybe it got jammed or something made it through the filter?

Actually, screw that. Its a sign from the gods... Its time for a carb.
    chaddington and estallings15 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    carb was 1st thing i said lol. i'll see wat happened rechek the connectors at the pcv so forth last night all looked pretty good. going to get rain tonight so garage time!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post
    Most likey not your issue as it wouldn't account for your going lean, but... fouled a plug? or other plug related issue? Probably not.

pull the injector, but leave connected to the fuel line, power on the bike, let the pump prime, and connect 5v to the pins (or even 12). (check polarity) she should spray fuel everywhere. Maybe it got jammed or something made it through the filter?

Actually, screw that. Its a sign from the gods... Its time for a carb.

you will shoot the injector out of the cap by doing this with the pressure created.

Simply unbolt the 2 screws that hold the manifold to the head and crank over. does the injector spray fuel?

Or ground out the ecu side of the injector wire (this will hold it full open) and prime the fuel pump to see if she flows full while the manifold / tb is unbolted.

Member #
    i'll check all connections again, this time in in the shop, and check the map as well. also i can check the injector output and i need to look at that plug. also, the 02 sensor doesnt seem liek it was the issue. The fact it wont restart is what worries me. regardless, i'll get it sorted after work today one way or the other. more to follow.

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    you will shoot the injector out of the cap by doing this with the pressure created.

Simply unbolt the 2 screws that hold the manifold to the head and crank over. does the injector spray fuel?

Or ground out the ecu side of the injector wire (this will hold it full open) and prime the fuel pump to see if she flows full while the manifold / tb is unbolted.
    Oh lol. yeah. don't do what I said. do it that way ^^^.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Someone in our group had their PCV die on them.

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Could always just pull the exhaust off the head and see if fuel sprays/drips out/you can smell it. Depends which is easier to get at. The manifold or the exhaust.

Member #
    its possible have had about 3 years out of it trouble free. we'll see. if it took a shit i'll replace it, no biggie. I was pushing the hell out of the poor thing last night. could also be the ecu, i know of a few dying . my spare is actually at a shop that borrowed it to diagnose another bike. lol. like said, 'worst' case, i carb it and hit the 100 mph club. ive seen a legit 95 already.. so close...
    estallings15 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links