cam chain idler gear options - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

cam chain idler gear options

This is a discussion on cam chain idler gear options within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Originally Posted by warubouzu FinBro just released an upgraded cam chain roller. Unsure of it's composition (looks like nylon), but I imagine it is likely ...

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: cam chain idler gear options

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by warubouzu View Post
    FinBro just released an upgraded cam chain roller. Unsure of it's composition (looks like nylon), but I imagine it is likely a beefier OEM sourced part
    It's a xr/crf50/ct70 (and I'm sure it fits a few others) idler wheel. Toothed rubber.

This user has no status.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Around $50 plus for them verus

Bikebandit OEM replacement
    3: ARM COMP,CAM CHAI 3154732 14500-K26-900 1 Ships within 3 to 4 business days $20.38 $19.16

Hollisterpowerhouse
    003 ARM 14500-K26-900 001 $20.38
    Cisco,

Once you start ripping on your four valve engine and shredding the wheel on that cheap arm in less than 500 miles, it will get annoying quick. They are cheap but you have to pull the LH cover and flywheel every time to replace it. I just changed oil after the crawl- surprise surprise, rubber bits everywhere. I just put a new arm in before the crawl. I shred wheels in 250 miles or so if I'm riding hard. The arm is $20, wheel is $15 maybe? Biggest thing is getting the pressed on wheel mount off and then TIG welding it back on from the backside without introducing too much heat.
    Last edited by Fox85; 07-05-2016 at 08:45 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    Ok, so the rubber idler gears tend to be an issue, in digging around, I found metal ones for the cl 350's ext available. and apparently the CT70 ones are interchangeable 9 or a least usable) but still rubber. does anybody have a line on metal, toothed idler gears for the groms? preferably on a proper bearing?

or does any body know if CL350 ones will work? found these on ebay, look promising.
    I tried to find what size the cl's cam chain was- no joy. If it is the same pitch length it should work. I think a tensioner slider setup could work- just find a suitable bike, hack up the slider assembly and mount it onto a modified arm to ride on the slack side of the chain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Im going to have my engine apart this week/coming days (smoked the engine today, not sure if i melted the piston, or blew the head gasket), so im going to take the time to find some better wheels, whether it be delrin, or metal.

is not proof-reading much

Member #
    A hardened steel slider with a replaceable delrin surface would be tits.
    Stock cylinder, piston & head. Aiming for 80 before all the goodies arrive.

This user has no status.

Member #
    This is why i like my lil 164 cc kit, with stock TB and stock exhaust can... doesnt like to rev much past 9.5-10k rpms. haha

If i start chewing through wheels... the stock valve springs will go back in.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The only way to solve this cam idler issue is to change the whole unit to a slider unit, like its made in daytona anima and yx140/150/160 engines. They are the same family horizontal single honda engines like on the grom, they are showing 20-28hp easily on 12k rpm and there are no any issues with that setup. I don't know why any of the parts supplier still didn't make a special cylinder with this kind of tensioner mechanism on it. May be the stud pattern is too narrow on the grom to make it fit (but Api Thailand is making these cylinders already but they are 140cc only). May be thats why Kitaco released their 2V kit, not a higher-revving 4V kit knowing this idler issue.
    Last edited by x-reaper; 07-05-2016 at 11:32 PM.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    Honesty, a bearinged wheel would last the longest. hm. might have to do some research

edit: ordered a metal wheel. I bit the bullet, will report back. $70 gamble but IF it eliminates that turd rubber idler, we are golden.
    Last edited by m in sc; 07-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    Fox85 and ALanS like this.
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    Honesty, a bearinged wheel would last the longest. hm. might have to do some research

edit: ordered a metal wheel. I bit the bullet, will report back. $70 gamble but IF it eliminates that turd rubber idler, we are golden.

PLEASE do report back!!! If its an easy slide off the old wheel on the arm n slide it on 70 bucks is worth it.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    I'm pretty sure the arm will need to be modded assuming its the correct pitch/diameter but i'll document thoroughly.
    HardRacing and ALanS like this.
    A bunch of old stuff that runs. 2stroke grom build...in process.. eventually...

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links