Gave my oil spinner a diet.
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Gave my oil spinner a diet. within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Popped off my oil spinner the other day and had a machinist buddy with a lathe who owed me a favor turn down the spinner. ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Gave my oil spinner a diet.

This user has no status.

Member #

Popped off my oil spinner the other day and had a machinist buddy with a lathe who owed me a favor turn down the spinner. Did one main cut to get the overall OD down to where the thickness of material outside the 3 main holes was the same as the to the inside. Then did a second further step in leaving 10mm of the main OD so the bolts could thread in. The second step went down about halfway through the holes. We probably coulda taken more off the second step but returns at that point were going to be minimal and i didnt want to compromise the spinners integrity.

Realistically the majority of the weight came off in the first OD cut and that was furthest out from the crank (hardest to spin).

Weight before 1034g, weight after 446g. 588g weight reduction (or 1.296lbs) THATS ALOT!

Overall impressions. The bike is MUCH more responsive, she revs quicker, revs SMOOTHER, and feels more free at the top end. It seems like the bike cruises at 55mph easier now. But the biggest thing is the much better throttle response, Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you have the know how. Cost was free for me outside of sacrificing a socket to make the tool to pull the spinner nut off. Also threw in some EBC clutch springs while i was in there (10 bucks) for a little bit better clutch bite.

Gave my oil spinner a diet.-img_20160405_194436.jpgGave my oil spinner a diet.-img_20160409_121654.jpgGave my oil spinner a diet.-img_20160409_124202.jpg

is UK Gromin'!

Member #
    Odometer
    It's quite a difference isn't it! I got mine from KCP and throttle response was greatly improved and revs picked up a lot quicker too. only thing is now it's easier to stall! have done it quite a lot lately... lol
    Our lord who art in minibikes
    GROM be thy name
    Bring us this day our new top speed
    And forgive those who can't wheelie
    For thyne is the kingdom, no power but all glory,
    On earth as it is in turn seven
    For ever and ever, braaaap!

This user has no status.

Member #
    really didnt notice any difference in the ability to stall. Its always been easy to stall the lil 125cc, but with my finbro ECU i have idle around 1700 or so rpms so that helps.

Overall very happy for the lil bit o work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Nice pics.

Polar moments are funny things, being a function solely of the radius (or dia) to the 4th power. So (assuming the weight is evenly distributed to make it easy) a reduction in radius by 1/4 nets you a reduction is polar moment by ~2/3. If we reduce the radius by 1/3, that nets us an 80% reduction, and finally.... drop half the radius and thats a 94% reduction (15/16). which relatively speaking, is like 0.

This user has no status.

Member #
    yup lots of weight was taken off the outside most diameter which has the most effect .

is Just ripping around town.

Member #
    Odometer
    now imagine the kitaco cover with none of that weight on the crank. Makes a world of difference. The oil spinner is a fat porker from honda. A lot of weight for a little 125 to spin around.
    GlockPointer likes this.
    2013 KX450F Green
    2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS
    2015 DL650 V-strom Blue

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by badassxr50r View Post
    now imagine the kitaco cover with none of that weight on the crank. Makes a world of difference. The oil spinner is a fat porker from honda. A lot of weight for a little 125 to spin around.

Oh i can imagine there are still some gains to be had by going the route of the kitaco cover. That stated, the 200 bucks for minimal gains beyond the lightened spinner aint worth it for me, id rather put that towards a bbk!

is Just ripping around town.

Member #
    Odometer
    I can understand that. I had the lightened spinner and then went KitaCo cover and it helped a good amount. I just wanted the oil filter and cooler fittings. But for free it's a damn good mod. Well worth it. I see no negatives to it.
    2013 KX450F Green
    2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS
    2015 DL650 V-strom Blue

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by badassxr50r View Post
    I can understand that. I had the lightened spinner and then went KitaCo cover and it helped a good amount. I just wanted the oil filter and cooler fittings. But for free it's a damn good mod. Well worth it. I see no negatives to it.

exactly, literally free outside of some time (and realistically if i already had the tool to get the nut off and didnt have to make it, i could be in and out of the crank case in 5 minutes flat). After doing about 50 miles or so on her yesterday n today, definitely glad i did it.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I just pulled of my spinner from my 2015 Grom to do the Kitaco side cover with oil cooler. I was watching the Hardracing install video and noticed their spinner was way bigger than mine. I weighed mine and it weighs only 230 grams. Honda must have changed to a lighter spinner for 2015. A new spinner only cost about $35.

Props to Hardracing - Great customer service and than you for taking the time to make the install videos, they are very helpfull!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gave my oil spinner a diet.-img_1030.jpg   Gave my oil spinner a diet.-img_1029.jpg   Gave my oil spinner a diet.-img_1027.jpg   Gave my oil spinner a diet.-img_1028.jpg  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links