Rear brake soft after riding for a while without using it
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Rear brake soft after riding for a while without using it within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Hi all, As the title of the thread states, all of a sudden I noticed the rear brake gets soft after riding for a while ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake soft after riding for a while without using it

is Newly minted honda enthusiast

Member #

Hi all,

As the title of the thread states, all of a sudden I noticed the rear brake gets soft after riding for a while without using it. By a while I mean going down a stretch of road for 3-5 miles or so and then I get to a light and have to brake. The pedal will have less resistance and it will travel more than usual, however the stopping power is not decreased. The bike has 1100 miles so far.

After stopping and then using the rear brake shortly again, it will again have the "bite" that I expected.

Things I've done to try to remedy the issue:

1. Bled the rear brake line multiple times (It had one or two air bubbles, problem still occurred after all air was removed)
    2. Removed the rear brake pads and cleaned them and the brake components thoroughly (Had some brake dust but wasn't too bad)
    3. Checked and rechecked the rear wheel alignment (It was spot on)
    4. Checked the chain tension (It was within spec)
    5. Loosened and then torqued the rear axle nut back to spec

Am I overthinking it and that's how the rear brake is? Could better pads help out?

I know the rear brake on these bikes isn't spectacular or anything I just have never experienced anything like that on any of the motorcycles I've owned.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

is Big Ol' Pile of Dem Bones

Member #
    Warped rotor possibly. If so, it'll push the pads and pistons back in the caliper while riding.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by horheyortega View Post
    Hi all,

As the title of the thread states, all of a sudden I noticed the rear brake gets soft after riding for a while without using it. By a while I mean going down a stretch of road for 3-5 miles or so and then I get to a light and have to brake. The pedal will have less resistance and it will travel more than usual, however the stopping power is not decreased. The bike has 1100 miles so far.

After stopping and then using the rear brake shortly again, it will again have the "bite" that I expected.

Things I've done to try to remedy the issue:

1. Bled the rear brake line multiple times (It had one or two air bubbles, problem still occurred after all air was removed)
    2. Removed the rear brake pads and cleaned them and the brake components thoroughly (Had some brake dust but wasn't too bad)
    3. Checked and rechecked the rear wheel alignment (It was spot on)
    4. Checked the chain tension (It was within spec)
    5. Loosened and then torqued the rear axle nut back to spec

Am I overthinking it and that's how the rear brake is? Could better pads help out?

I know the rear brake on these bikes isn't spectacular or anything I just have never experienced anything like that on any of the motorcycles I've owned.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
    Really interesting, I've actually noticed sort of the same thing on my yellow with just under 1,200 miles. I have to really push the rear brake almost to the ground to get stopping force, not that I really use the rear brake often, but I've definitely noticed it. Sometimes it's fine, the majority of the time it's almost worthless.
    2019 Honda Monkey in Banana Yellow
    - Yoshimura RS-3 SS/SS/TI Full System
    - TB Performance Cam
    - Cameron Jones Racing Custom ECU
    - MNNTHBX Mtake Intake System
    - MNNTHBX Seat Caps
    - MNNTHBX Classic Tail Plate Mount
    - Forged Aluminum Shifter
    - Adjustable Shorty Levers
    - H2C Rear Chrome Rack
    - Kenda Big Block Tires
    - 14t Front Sprocket
    - SpeedoDRD H9 Speed Calibrator

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shush319 View Post
    Warped rotor possibly. If so, it'll push the pads and pistons back in the caliper while riding.
    Interesting, but the bike is so new? It can warp that quickly?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mumdb1 View Post
    Really interesting, I've actually noticed sort of the same thing on my yellow with just under 1,200 miles. I have to really push the rear brake almost to the ground to get stopping force, not that I really use the rear brake often, but I've definitely noticed it. Sometimes it's fine, the majority of the time it's almost worthless.
    No kidding? I'm starting to think that's how the rear brake is on this bike.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    I do not use the rear brake much. Have not noticed anything unusual. I tested the brakes out a few times to see what they can do. I am pretty sure I could skid the rear tire with enough effort and I suspect the relatively docile rear brake is intentional. I am no-ABS. The front brake seems more than adequate, I lifted the rear tire pretty easily with just a little forward weight shift and a good clamp on the front binder.

If one were to upgrade the Monkey into an 80 MPH machine instead of the 50 MPH machine it is then one would want better binders and ABS front and rear.
    Swim, Bike, Run, Ride

This user has no status.

Member #
    even with ABS, the rear brake is just fine for slowing down, not for emergency braking.
    the front brake is correct. coupled with ABS, Monkey stops easily. of course all this while respecting the speed limit which is, recently in France, at 80km/H, on our roads.

is Big Ol' Pile of Dem Bones

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by horheyortega View Post
    Interesting, but the bike is so new? It can warp that quickly?
    You did not mention what year the bike is. My 17 had a warped rotor when I got it from the original owner with 7k on the odometer, so yes it can happen. All it takes is to get bumped or hit by something hard enough to cause a slight bend. The pads do move much at all, so even the slightest bend will equate to a lot at the lever when the pads get pushed back.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You did not mention what year the bike is. My 17 had a warped rotor when I got it from the original owner with 7k on the odometer, so yes it can happen. All it takes is to get bumped or hit by something hard enough to cause a slight bend. The pads do move much at all, so even the slightest bend will equate to a lot at the lever when the pads get pushed back.

It the Monkey, so less than a year old.

Member #
    It's a 2019.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links