Change the oil before the first service?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Change the oil before the first service?

This is a discussion on Change the oil before the first service? within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; I read carefully the 50-50 message when he explains his oil change to 400 miles on his Groom here: #29 https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/27-...t-build-3.html I was surprised to ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By KBK0
  • 2 Post By FluxCapacitor
  • 1 Post By 50-50
  • 1 Post By tooter
  • 1 Post By KBK0
  • 2 Post By KBK0

Thread: Change the oil before the first service?

This user has no status.

Member #

Question Change the oil before the first service?

I read carefully the 50-50 message when he explains his oil change to 400 miles on his Groom

here: #29

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/27-...t-build-3.html

I was surprised to see the deposit in the oil screen and the spinner. I asked my dealer if the change and control was planned for the first revision.
    the answer was: "useless as soon, we change the oil and control the tightening of the screws" !!!
    holy dream sellers.

I learned the lesson well and do not wish to have the same surprise as our friend with a leaky seal. I will order the stock gaskets ( oil spinner and clutch cover) & do the job myself when the bike will be about 500 km ( about 300 miles).
    To those who have already done the job:
    can you tell me if you have encountered any problems during the removal of the cover, access to the oil spinner .. etc ..
    thank you
    Last edited by KBK0; 07-05-2019 at 10:52 PM.
    50-50 likes this.

is between rain storms :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    There is one side cover bolt that is obscured by the rear sets, you can get at it with a hand wrench or I used a short 1/4 drive socket w/universal joint. Just be patient, don't rush and you can rotate the cover off/on once it clears the dowel pins.

Change the oil before the first service?-quarter-drive.jpg

A telescopic magnet is handy to have on hand too.

Change the oil before the first service?-magnet.jpg

The clutch lifter will want to fall out of the side cover half if you are rough with it, just be aware of it so you know where it goes.

Lots of videos on you tube, here is one with the rear sets loosened :
    KBK0 and 50-50 like this.
    2018 Matte Gray Metallic
    Koso TT Mirrors - Carbon
    Vagabond Motorsports Fender Eliminator
    JT 35t Rear Sprocket
    RK 420 Gold Chain

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    After a lot of research I discovered I wasn't alone with the filthy screen. Some have had worse. The second oil change should be much, much cleaner in the screen and spinner.

Just use a new gasket, be careful with the installation and tighten the bolts on the side cover and you should be fine. You can also torque them to be sure. It's a very low torque setting though - something like 7 or 8 ft-lbs. I was lazy and I reused the stock gasket. The spinner also requires a gasket and blue thread lock.

The one cover bolt is a PITA to get to as Flux stated. Universal joints are a must. Shame on Honda for this. The rearsets could have easily been designed to avoid this. The cover itself is also a pain to get on and off. You have to pull it towards you to clear the dowel pins and then rotate the cover a little bit to get it out. A little patience, which I lack, goes a long way.

Make sure you have a box of rubber gloves and plenty of paper towels or rags as it can be a messy task especially if you're new to it. Also have a piece of cardboard to put under the bike so you don't ruin your garage floor. Lastly, make sure your drain pan fits under your bike and that it's at least as long as the side cover of the engine. When you take that cover off oil can run out where. It's not a big deal if you let the oil drain thoroughly out of the drain plug.
    KBK0 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    When I installed the Kitaco, I reused the old gasket even though part of it came off and stuck to the cover. I just put a very thin coat of high temp silicone on the affected area, bolted everything back together, and not one hint of a leak.

I highly recommend Monkey rear sets. They make removing the cover SO easy.

Change the oil before the first service?-img_1176.jpg

Loosen one bolt, swing the set out of the way, and the cover pops right off.
    KBK0 likes this.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thank you for your feedback.
    it is good, even with a minimum of mechanical knowledge, to hear and especially to listen to those who have already done so.
    thank you to all of you.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    .........You can also torque them to be sure. It's a very low torque setting though - something like 7 or 8 ft-lbs.............

I have some tools that should allow me to better apply your valuable advice.
    if you ever need a little something difficult to find at home and frequent at home in France; do not hesitate to ask,if I can, it would be with pleasure.

tooter and 50-50 like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    When I installed the Kitaco, I reused the old gasket even though part of it came off and stuck to the cover. I just put a very thin coat of high temp silicone on the affected area, bolted everything back together, and not one hint of a leak.

I highly recommend Monkey rear sets. They make removing the cover SO easy.

Loosen one bolt, swing the set out of the way, and the cover pops right off.
    Just for the OPs information you, sadly, have to remove the oil spinner to use the Kitaco cover. That removes a lot of flywheel mass that a lot of guys end up not liking. More than one Kitaco cover has been sold so the spinner can be put back on.

The Grom rearsets will also spin with one bolt, but that's not necessary.

Sponsored Links