Honda Grom banner

Why did you get a Monkey?

28K views 58 replies 42 participants last post by  Whaler27 
#1 ·
I’d been looking at the Grom for a while. Then, I saw the monkey and liked the retro look. However, I am a new rider and I’m wondering if I should spend 4500 on a Monkey or buy something a little bigger. There seems to be a lot of turnover with groms. I have just seen a monkey for sale with about a hundred miles on it. Do people primarily use these as training bikes, then move up? Why did you buy a Monkey and how/where do you use or intend to use it?
Is it your only motorcycle?

#2 ·
it is pretty and reminds me when I was young.
when I'm on the 765 RS, people in custom look at me and wonder why I ride on a bike that is made for the race.
when I'm on my Thruxton RS, the elders ask me why I bought a new old.
When I drove my Harley, the sports guys laughed at me because my silencers were touching the ground on the mountain roads in my area.
When I'm on my monkey, no one is able to put a face on who I really am. rich, poor, beginner, confirmed ....
we do not care. the thing gives people a smile.
and nowadays, to make people laugh ...
it's not that easy... :cool2:

#3 ·
I've always been into small engine powered vehicles. Growing up I have had several dirt bikes, mini bikes and go karts. Now that I'm a little older I still enjoy that scene. I own 5 golf carts in which I have completely redone myself. Four out of the five I've done " big block " engine conversions to them. I use these carts as transportation at our campground. I also have an offroad mini bike with an engine conversion on it. I bought the Monkey to add to my collection of toys. Last year when I found out it was coming to the U.S, I knew I had to get one. I get the question all the time " so are you ready for a Harley? " Absolutely not! I wanted a street legal minibike and that's exactly what I got.

#5 · (Edited)
I doubt people are buying the Monkey as a "training bike" if they do so with the Grom either. I have always like small motorcycles and single cylinder bikes and was fascinated with the original Monkey when it came out. But, did not have the funds or parents willing to purchase one. Though to be fair to them, they let me buy a Yamaha CT-1, helped me purchase a CL350 and allowed me to race MX on a variety of dirt bikes (I purchased with my own funds).

I bought the Monkey for a garage toy and for practical purposes as a camp transportation bike and general runabout. It is pretty, it is cute, it is old time Honda quality, old time "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda" and unlike the original Mini-Trail 50 this Monkey is not a trail bike but a street scrambler and it is big enough to actually ride.

Can a Monkey do for a single motorcycle, well, maybe? If you live in an urban area or ride only a short distance to your destinations and do not need to make freeway speeds or carry two-up, then yeah. It would not have hurt my feelings if they had made the Monkey a 175 with, oh, say, 18 horsepower, then it could make a short freeway sprint. But Honda did not build this little bike for that purpose and it is really perfect for its intended purpose, making smiles, not miles.

J

#6 ·
In looking at a lot of groms and one Monkey, I have noticed low mileage and people selling for bigger bikes. I know for certain that a significant number of people are buying mini bikes to learn on.
Regardless, my situation is this: ai am a new rider. I live in a suburban area. Speed limits range from 25-50. I would never think of taking it out on the highway. I have a car as primary transportation. I want a motorcycle ride for fun. There are some nice semi-rural roads nearby but you have to go through a lot of traffic initially to get to them. I’m trying to decide in a Monkey or a 250 or 300, like a TU250 or rebel 300. I live within an hour of the beach/shore. I think that would be an ideal place to ride a Monkey.
We do have some fairly steep roads in the immediate vicinity.
Never having ridden a small or big motorcycle, it’s difficult to think about what it would feel like in different types of traffic scenarios with a mini bike. I think part of it for me, is envisioning being at a red light , surrounded by cars and big trucks and being on a tiny motorcycle. It’s kind of irrational because the seat height isn’t really that low but are you any less visible on a small motorcycle?
What so you think about my situation? Monkey or standard size motorcycle?

#7 · (Edited)
In looking at a lot of groms and one Monkey, I have noticed low mileage and people selling for bigger bikes. I know for certain that a significant number of people are buying mini bikes to learn on.
This phenomena of trading motorcycles is not confined to what you are calling a mini-bike. I have been riding motorcycles since I was a child and am now 66. I might could consider a Monkey an end game save for the FACT I can destroy people half my age in MX on a "trail" bike that is only 144cc. Whatever. Some people go through motorcycles like a hot knife through butter. I have been guilty myself. Nothing, or few things at best, more compelling in life than a shiny new motorcycle that is not yours but could be yours sitting on a showroom floor regardless of displacement.

Grasshopper, you have much to learn. There is no one bike for everything, but a UJM might be close. A Monkey/Grom is not going to handle a freeway or fast traffic two lane highway either for that matter. I am going to suggest a Honda CB300 or the Kawasaki Z400 semi sport bikes or naked equivalent or on the (extreme) top end, a Yamaha MT-07. Fast enough to pace traffic on a freeway with power in reserve and yet not itching to kill you like a super sport 600cc replica race bike.

The seat height on a Monkey is six inches higher than some Harley "type" bikes. I pulled up beside a Fatboy on my Monkey and was looking down on the top of his do-rag! Of course he did not have a helmet, are you kidding, but I sure as hell did. ATGATT, all the gear, all the time, even on a Monkey.

J

#17 ·
I'd say buy one and keep it. Ride it and have fun and one day you may want larger but don't let your friends goad you into going larger if you enjoy what you're riding.

I've had super large, super fast, super powerful and super costly bikes over my near 13 years riding having started at age 45 and now at age 58 I'm wanting simple, cute, good fun and 55mph and under. I have owned many bikes, 45 to be exact and custom built a few Harley's. However, I never rode until I was 45.

I want to enjoy my riding and not be riding because someone else encouraged me to ride their ride.

Ride your own ride. Take lots of photos. Have lots of fun.

Smile while you're doing it or you're not having fun!

I am buying 2 Monkey's. A Yellow and a red. I want one a my house and one at my business and will ride a BMW G310GS from home to work. That's a small single cylinder adventure bike. I'm on a 1200 Adventure now with 125 horse power and tons of features and I'm bored with it.
I don't care to ride long distances or take trips any longer so I'm just going to trailer or truck my bikes to the North Carolina mountains and ride the Dragon and have some fun and most of the time while here in Illinois ride in the corn and beans on farm roads and enjoy.

#11 ·
I got a Monkey because I have had all the other types of street bikes, crotch rocket, dual sport, big V-twin, Gold Wing. The Monkey is just a BLAST to ride!! Sailors and motorcycle riders come back to simplicity. Full circle.

I would recommend a 4 stroke 125cc dirt bike as a beginner bike, tougher to get killed. AND you develop the skills that will keep you alive on the street. The Monkey would be good if money was no object, but I would recommend a $2000 Japanese 250 dual sport if you have to go street now. The CB300F would also be a good choice. They have good deals on them. Or any small used Japanese bike. Spend a $1000. You will be happy. Welcome to a little piece of freedom we have left.

#13 ·
Haven’t gotten one yet, but I’m this close to pulling the trigger. I’m 61 now, and I sold a ‘14 Valkyrie back in April this year because it was costing me a loan payment plus insurance and just wasn’t getting ridden. I thought I’d just lost my desire to ride after over 30 years of it. I’ve had mostly big bikes over the years, and it had just been becoming more and more of a chore to get out and ride the last five or so.

But the more I see this thing and hear how much of a blast it is from everybody who’s ridden one, the more I’m getting the itch again. Could be a fun little work commuter and bop-around-towner and bring the fun back to riding for me. I thought the wife would think I’m nuts (well, she does), but she gave me the ol ‘get it if you want’ when I brought it up, so that potential obstacle is cleared. The local stealer has a red one in stock. Now I just need to decide if it’s really worth whipping out the credit card for.

All I’d need to find is a helmet with a propeller on top to complete the silliness. Now who’s up to pushing me off the fence?

#14 ·
I knew I’d get one when I saw they were coming to the US. I rode mini bikes as a kid and am past my 30th year of riding all manner of street bikes. Currently, most of my riding is on country back roads so I can get away with going 35 - 45 mph. My commute is the same. I use my Kawi Z125 as a commuter and got the third Monkey to come to my MC shop. The Monkey is just for fun riding.

#16 ·
I have 4 other bikes. I ride the monkey the most. I've had bikes that make 175hp and go 190mph. That whole idea of motorcycling has run its course for me. I bought the mokey beause I've been getting back to my roots for the last several years. Mini bikes, small displacement bigger bikes. I still have a 125ish hp bike....but it's ridden the least. My other bikes are 68hp or less.

#22 ·
I have a couple other bikes in the garage, but have been eyeing the monkey for a bit. Finally pulled the trigger for two main reasons: goofing off around town with a smile on my face, racking it on the back of my Jeep to take up into the mountains while camping. No complaints so far, just lots of fun and lots of looks.

#24 ·
Hello all,

I've just joined the forum. I'm 53, been riding motorcycles since I was 16 and am based in the UK. I've just bought a banana yellow monkey...........it is sitting in the garage with zero miles, waiting for some better weather. I have probably owned 130+ bikes over the years ranging from 50cc monkeys and Suzukis to 1300cc Yamahas and more recently triumphs. I have reached a point that I find a lot of the current offerings a bit boring and repetitive, and have built/modified a couple of bikes over the last few years. I saw the monkey and decided that I had to have one. I am also hoping that Honda UK bring the CT125 to the UK..............I am desperate to get my hands on one. My only other bike now is a Bonneville 865. Thanks for reading.

Rob, which I'm currently modifying.

#26 ·
I had the original Monkey as a kid. I rode that thing everywhere and every season. When I saw the new ones in the original yellow color, it brought back so many great memories. I sat on the fence about it, but finally bought a '19 yellow one after selling my Super Tenere. The big bike wasn't getting ridden as much and the distance thing was losing it's luster. I'm looking forward to just bombing around town on this thing. The grandkids will get it when I'm too old.

#28 ·
i have spine problems. cervical and lumbar. the seat and suspension are perfect for me. i need pegs to stand up when ii need to so scooter was out. i really only have one designated parking space, the bike is so small i can park it anywhere. i even have it parked under the eave behind my apartment covered for the winter. its very light and easy for me to maneuver, a cumbersome big bike isnt something i can really deal with. i love hondas! my last 3 cars have been hondas, and this bike is very honda! all the hoses, wires, hangers, parts are all nice quality. there isnt another bike for me! i dont think i would have a bike at all if it werent for this one!

#29 ·
I'm 57 years old. I didn't own a motorcycle until about age 45. My dad wouldn't let me get a bike as a kid, so since then I've made up for it. I've owned lots of small bore Hondas. It all started with a motorized bicycle. I have owned a Hobbit, an S90, a C110, a CL125, a CL70 and others. I currently own a single Monkey.
Since I'm not super mechanical, that finally drove my decision to buy a 2019 monkey. It has the cool factor and nostalgia of the old bikes, but the reliability I need.
I did the fender delete, mirror extenders, seat bolt replace and intake mod (Which I believe make the bike look way cleaner) I'm considering the Takegawa exhaust mod, I believe it's called the SP. It looks just like the original, which I like-but has a cooler sound. I am hesitant to do that mod because I don't want to run the bike too lean, or mess with how well it runs now.
Bottom line, I love the Monkey.

#30 ·
I needed a bike that I could throw in the back of a VW Vanagon and use it for when I drop off the van for service and need to ride home. I bought a Ruckus to do the job, but with a 35mph max speed, I had to take side streets to avoid being run over. Looked at a Grom at a dealer and noticed a Monkey on a brochure. Super cool retro look. Waited 2 months to get one in blue (not liking the red/yellow bikes). The blue stands out and people come out of nowhere to ask about it. Some think I restored a vintage one.

#32 ·
Chances are it’s the O2 sensor warning. I see it go off if I’ve got WOT downhill and trying to keep the bike going as fast as possible. The ECU seems to get confused since the O2 sensor is (if I remember) always high (or is it low, I can’t remember how it’s wired) now. The ECU reset is easy as long as you have a paper clip.

#34 ·
i was looking for a small bike anyway, came time to visit a honda dealer when i ran into the Monkey. love the retro look, the grom felt like i was sitting to far forward. even considered to super cub briefly , though i can tell you if the Hunter Cub was available in the us market that might of been my choice. I have a small garage and wanted something i can easily move around and a 500lb bike doesnt fit that bill at all. ease of living with is overall the reason for the monkey, i dont plan on highway driving and 45 to 50 will get me anywhere i hope to go with this bike. its a lot of fun to ride. might even be decent off road a bit when i upgrade the shocks, thats the huge miss on the monkey, shocks and forks, so a extra expense for heavier people and this bike. anyway im new to the Monkey 40 miles as of this post, new to the forum, so hello all from Illinois. so far loving my Monkey, and its Blue so let those jokes fly lol. already got that from my cousin with his Grape ape eliminator with twin sc big blocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.