Mileage check and things you have discovered... - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Mileage check and things you have discovered...

This is a discussion on Mileage check and things you have discovered... within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Originally Posted by 3crows During the initial miles, maybe up to 1500 miles or so, I plan to clean the spinner several times. I expect ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mileage check and things you have discovered...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 3crows View Post
    During the initial miles, maybe up to 1500 miles or so, I plan to clean the spinner several times. I expect that the material is mostly break-in product and will rapidly diminish, assuming the engine is healthy. I am going to change oil and clean at 300 miles and again and 1,000 miles. My first oil change was at 100 miles. I will change oil and clean the spinner again at 1500 miles and evaluate needed frequency at that time.

The Monkey is new to me but my plan is based on my past ownership of a Honda SL175 twin, SL125 thumper (built for MX and raced successfully against two-strokes) and a CL350 none of which had filters either. I see the recommended oil change interval for the Monkey, lol, whatever. At barely a quart of oil, I plan to change oil probably every 1500 miles. I live down a dirt road and while the Monkey, this iteration, is NOT a Mini-Trail as the original was and is instead a street scrambler (kind of like comparing a milk-toast jelly bean crossover to a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon) it still sees some dusty, dirty conditions.

I also have a Kawasaki KLX140G, I ride it trail and pretend/play motocross. It has a filter but the oil gets dirty fast so I change it every three hours or so which equals three track/play days at about one hour run time each, give or take (it has no odometer or Hobbs).

I don't remember my SL125 being a thumper, but it was a blast!! Wish I didn't sell that one.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500 km
    Spinner will only endirt with a few friction discs powder... Doesn't need such frequent cleaning thought.. Don't waste your time...

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

is a squirrel

Member #
    I would say during the break in period to clean it more often, but after that do what you feel is best. It's your bike. I'm just telling what Honda recommends. Maybe just use that as the maximum number of miles you can go without cleaning it.
    David likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Mine had so much stuff in it because of the initial break in, then break in with the 170cc kit, then break in again with the original 125cc kit with new rings.
    2019 Monkey non-abs.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    The SL125 of the early 70s was most definitely a thumper. As I recall, stock, it was around 12 horsepower, 5 speed transmission. So a bit stronger than the Monkey stock.
    Swim, Bike, Run, Ride

This user has no status.

Member #
    The SL125 of the early 70s was most definitely a thumper. As I recall, stock, it was around 12 horsepower, 5 speed transmission. So a bit stronger than the Monkey stock.
    1976. my first Honda, a K5. and not much more power than CB or SL

PacificoFlyr likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You're right, you're right. I just remember ripping on the beach in San Felipe with one, then the next year I moved up to the XR200 and was like holy $hit! The SL was a fun machine that I miss for sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links