Honda Grom banner

Mileage check and things you have discovered...

7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  PacificoFlyr 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured we could start a mileage check and stuff you've learned on your journey so far. I'm hoping that with this thread, recent purchasers can get an idea of what to expect as the miles pile on.

I've just crested 2400 miles. Second oil change. Spinner had a fair amount of metal paste to clean out and my screen had a fair amount of clutch material in it. OEM tires had lots of tread but hummed on the highway. I replaced them with street tires (michelin pilots)

Transmission is super smooth and engine is super smooth. Runs perfectly and is a blast to ride. Averaging 80mpg

#4 ·
I figured we could start a mileage check and stuff you've learned on your journey so far. I'm hoping that with this thread, recent purchasers can get an idea of what to expect as the miles pile on.

I've just crested 2400 miles. Second oil change. Spinner had a fair amount of metal paste to clean out and my screen had a fair amount of clutch material in it. OEM tires had lots of tread but hummed on the highway. I replaced them with street tires (michelin pilots)

Transmission is super smooth and engine is super smooth. Runs perfectly and is a blast to ride. Averaging 80mpg
How many times have you cleaned the spinner?

I'm approaching 900 miles so I've only cleaned it once and it was nasty. Nothing else to add at this point.

Thread locker is your best friend.
I'm shocked Honda doesn't use it on many bolts. It should be on just about every bolt on this thing since you're constantly revving the piss out of it.

Discovered that, unless you do burnouts, it will take +2,000 miles before you notice any wear on the stock hockey puck tires.
I have IRCs and stock tires get a lot worse than those.

#9 ·
Yup it's a centrifugal filter.

#15 · (Edited)
During the initial miles, maybe up to 1500 miles or so, I plan to clean the spinner several times. I expect that the material is mostly break-in product and will rapidly diminish, assuming the engine is healthy. I am going to change oil and clean at 300 miles and again and 1,000 miles. My first oil change was at 100 miles. I will change oil and clean the spinner again at 1500 miles and evaluate needed frequency at that time.

The Monkey is new to me but my plan is based on my past ownership of a Honda SL175 twin, SL125 thumper (built for MX and raced successfully against two-strokes) and a CL350 none of which had filters either. I see the recommended oil change interval for the Monkey, lol, whatever. At barely a quart of oil, I plan to change oil probably every 1500 miles. I live down a dirt road and while the Monkey, this iteration, is NOT a Mini-Trail as the original was and is instead a street scrambler (kind of like comparing a milk-toast jelly bean crossover to a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon) it still sees some dusty, dirty conditions.

I also have a Kawasaki KLX140G, I ride it trail and pretend/play motocross. It has a filter but the oil gets dirty fast so I change it every three hours or so which equals three track/play days at about one hour run time each, give or take (it has no odometer or Hobbs).

#23 ·
I would say during the break in period to clean it more often, but after that do what you feel is best. It's your bike. I'm just telling what Honda recommends. Maybe just use that as the maximum number of miles you can go without cleaning it.

Reactions: David
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.