Harbor Freight Pit Stand - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Harbor Freight Pit Stand

This is a discussion on Harbor Freight Pit Stand within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Originally Posted by 3crows The Monkey sitting on the Harbor Freight Pit Stand. Yes, the rear wheel is a good half inch or so clear ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Harbor Freight Pit Stand

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 3crows View Post
    The Monkey sitting on the Harbor Freight Pit Stand. Yes, the rear wheel is a good half inch or so clear of the ground, perfect. Very stable and good to service the chain or other work that is facilitated by being off the side stand.

The Harbor Freight stand is inexpensive and light weight aluminum. It will not work for my other motorcycles, too narrow but for the Monkey it is about perfect.
    My Monkey is still a couple of days away, but I just ordered me one of these. Never used one before. I do have a Crapsman motorcycle jack, but it doesnít look like thereís any place to lift the Monkey underneath. Question for using the pit stand: do you have to use spools, or do they just make lifting easier? If you need Ďem, where do you get Ďem? Iím having trouble locating them online.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Odometer
    I use a cheap $33 Harbor freight stand that doesn't require spools. It lifts the rear on rubber pads. Makes changing the oil and oiling the chain really simple and easy.

I like it.

Harbor Freight Pit Stand-img_1204.jpg

(I know a guy named Tony Provolone... )
    Last edited by tooter; 07-10-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    Danny Linguini likes this.
    2018 GROM:
    TST Rear Fender Eliminator
    TST Taillight +Signal Lights
    TST Front Signal Lights
    Dinger Built Extra Long Intake
    IXIL Dual Exhaust
    Yuminashi ECU
    Kitaco Case Cover w/Oil Filter
    Takagawa High Volume Oil Pump
    Honda Monkey Rear Sets
    Honda Monkey Front Fender
    Honda Monkey Fork Guards
    Honda Black Plastics
    G Craft Rear Rack
    Cargo Crate

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Linguini View Post
    My Monkey is still a couple of days away, but I just ordered me one of these. Never used one before. I do have a Crapsman motorcycle jack, but it doesn’t look like there’s any place to lift the Monkey underneath. Question for using the pit stand: do you have to use spools, or do they just make lifting easier? If you need ‘em, where do you get ‘em? I’m having trouble locating them online.
    Some pit stands use spools, some use a cradle that slips under the swim arms, others are convertible for both (see post #9 for a Pit Bull convertible type). Despite the popularity of the cradle type, my experiences with them is that they are far inferior to the type that uses spools. The spool is grooved to accept the upright which when lifted is positively captured. I have seen to many of the cradle type slip and allow the bike to fall or scratch the swing arm. But the spool type can also gouge the swing arm on some bikes if not properly positioned though with the Monkey and the type of spools displayed in this thread from myself and the gent from France that will not be an issue.

I started this thread because I wanted to be able to lift my Monkey minimally to allow maintenance and the stand I linked to is fine for that purpose. But you can be sure on my Triumph and Yamaha I use a Pit Bull. Which, will lift the little Monkey but is admittedly perhaps overkill for it. People can do as their hearts see fit, me, I recommend spools. That said, many people prefer the cradle type. Each to their own ways.

The Craftsman motorcycle lift and the generic similar ones from many suppliers generally work fine for motorcycles with a down tube/cradle type frame. Which the Monkey does not have and with the exposed exhaust system under the engine, would require some sort of fixture or adapter to work, probably not worth the effort.
    Last edited by 3crows; 07-10-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Swim, Bike, Run, Ride

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    People say cradle stands slip. I've never had a big bike or my Grom slide on my Pitbull stand unless I moved it around a lot. The rubber on the Pitbull stands is soft enough so it kinda grabs onto the swingarm metal. It works even better if the swingarm has textured paint.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Some pit stands use spools, some use a cradle that slips under the swim arms, others are convertible for both (see post #9 for a Pit Bull convertible type). Despite the popularity of the cradle type, my experiences with them is that they are far inferior to the type that uses spools. The spool is grooved to accept the upright which when lifted is positively captured. I have seen to many of the cradle type slip and allow the bike to fall or scratch the swing arm. But the spool type can also gouge the swing arm on some bikes if not properly positioned though with the Monkey and the type of spools displayed in this thread from myself and the gent from France that will not be an issue.

I started this thread because I wanted to be able to lift my Monkey minimally to allow maintenance and the stand I linked to is fine for that purpose. But you can be sure on my Triumph and Yamaha I use a Pit Bull. Which, will lift the little Monkey but is admittedly perhaps overkill for it. People can do as their hearts see fit, me, I recommend spools. That said, many people prefer the cradle type. Each to their own ways.

The Craftsman motorcycle lift and the generic similar ones from many suppliers generally work fine for motorcycles with a down tube/cradle type frame. Which the Monkey does not have and with the exposed exhaust system under the engine, would require some sort of fixture or adapter to work, probably not worth the effort.
    Thanks for all the info! Itís the Harbor Freight pit stand in particular I was asking about (because I just ordered it), basically wondering if itís a spool type (it looks like it is ó sorry if thatís a dumb question, Iím new to this kind of lift). What size swing arm spool should I get for the Monkey? I see 6, 8 and 10mm, but I canít seem to find which one I need. Thanks!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks for all the info! It’s the Harbor Freight pit stand in particular I was asking about (because I just ordered it), basically wondering if it’s a spool type (it looks like it is — sorry if that’s a dumb question, I’m new to this kind of lift). What size swing arm spool should I get for the Monkey? I see 6, 8 and 10mm, but I can’t seem to find which one I need. Thanks!
    There are Money specific spools. I forget if they were shown on this thread or not.

The size of the spools depend on what your stand will accept.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Odometer
    Thanks for all the info! It’s the Harbor Freight pit stand in particular I was asking about (because I just ordered it), basically wondering if it’s a spool type (it looks like it is — sorry if that’s a dumb question, I’m new to this kind of lift). What size swing arm spool should I get for the Monkey? I see 6, 8 and 10mm, but I can’t seem to find which one I need. Thanks!
    Mine are G Craft pit stand spools for the Honda Monkey. I would just Google it, easy to find. On the Monkey, it seems most of the pit stand spools install in place of the lower rear shock nut. Some motorcycles have bosses on the swing arm that are threaded for spools. Some are common to the axle bolts (for those that are hollow). Positives and negatives to all of them. Sort of like center stands vs kickstands.
    Swim, Bike, Run, Ride

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Odometer
    If you got the aluminum stand that comes in pieces and you put it together, it needs spools.
    2018 GROM:
    TST Rear Fender Eliminator
    TST Taillight +Signal Lights
    TST Front Signal Lights
    Dinger Built Extra Long Intake
    IXIL Dual Exhaust
    Yuminashi ECU
    Kitaco Case Cover w/Oil Filter
    Takagawa High Volume Oil Pump
    Honda Monkey Rear Sets
    Honda Monkey Front Fender
    Honda Monkey Fork Guards
    Honda Black Plastics
    G Craft Rear Rack
    Cargo Crate

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Mine are G Craft pit stand spools for the Honda Monkey. I would just Google it, easy to find. On the Monkey, it seems most of the pit stand spools install in place of the lower rear shock nut. Some motorcycles have bosses on the swing arm that are threaded for spools. Some are common to the axle bolts (for those that are hollow). Positives and negatives to all of them. Sort of like center stands vs kickstands.
    Thanks much Ė found some on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    If you got the aluminum stand that comes in pieces and you put it together, it needs spools.
    And thanks ... yes I did, and thatís what I needed to know.
    tooter likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links