Rattling when hitting a specific rpm or speed
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Rattling when hitting a specific rpm or speed within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Hi all, Just got the new monkey 125 in Pearl Red about a month ago and loving it overall. That being said, it developed some ...

Thread: Rattling when hitting a specific rpm or speed

is Newly minted honda enthusiast

Member #

Hi all,

Just got the new monkey 125 in Pearl Red about a month ago and loving it overall.

That being said, it developed some sort of rattle when driving at 12-13 mph in 1st gear, 23-24 mph in 2nd gear and 31-32 mph in 3rd gear. I only hear it at these speeds, once I pass these speeds in those gears the rattle goes away and it sounds really smooth again. In 4th gear I don't hear it anymore or haven't been able to reproduce it.

I revved the engine while stopped pretty much almost until redline and was not able to reproduce the sound. This tells me that it's most likely not the engine itself and possibly a combination of the vibrations from the road and the engine.

Really the only thing I've changed on it is that I took the front and rear brake pads off and sprayed some Permatex Brake Quiet on them as the rear brakes were squeaking a bit.

The bike has 500 miles on it. I could take it to my honda dealer and have them try to diagnose it but it's far from my house and if it's warranty work I'm probably looking at being without the bike a week at least. Anything I could try or look at? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by horheyortega; 06-25-2019 at 11:21 AM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Welcome to the site! Please update us when the problem is resolved. Thanks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Getbusylivin View Post
    Welcome to the site! Please update us when the problem is resolved. Thanks
    Thanks. I will.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Welcome to the site. Post photos or your bike.

Something could be lose. Check over the nuts and bolts.

Also, is your chain too loose? Loose chains can make odd noises.

This user has no status.

Member #
    The headlight ring has been known to vibrate loose. Loctite has seen a lot of use on the Pimp Chimp. Embrace the vibration. Seriously, stuff rattling off a mini bike at speed scares me. I physically check a few strategic parts before every ride. I have not had to worry about it as much on the previous 15 bikes I’ve owned. No biggie. Part of the fun. Keep loctite in fridge.

Member #
    Thanks for all the replies guys. After a lot of trial and error I have determined the rattling was caused by the right air filter box cover (official name is air box garnish). It's a bit more loose than the left one. I removed this and went for a ride and the noise is gone. I tried to reinstall it as tight and as close fitting as I could but it just seems more loose overall than the left cover. Oh well, as long as it's not the engine or transmission rattling like that on a new bike I'm happy.

On the plus side, if the sound annoys me enough it will give me an excuse to get an intake for the bike
    Last edited by horheyortega; 06-25-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Sponsored Links