Up Hill From a Dead Stop
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Up Hill From a Dead Stop

This is a discussion on Up Hill From a Dead Stop within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; My Monkey really struggles when I ask it go up hill from a dead stop. There's a hill near my house that I encounter on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Up Hill From a Dead Stop

This user has no status.

Member #

Up Hill From a Dead Stop

My Monkey really struggles when I ask it go up hill from a dead stop.

There's a hill near my house that I encounter on a regular basis.
    If I'm approaching it in 2nd gear and am able to turn onto it with no cars in front of me, the Monkey takes it like a champ.
    But, if I have to slow down to 1st or stop before climbing it, the Monkey really objects.

I find myself wanting to do that Fred Flintstone duck walk thing to help it out, but that would just make me unstable.
    I only weigh 125lbs, so it's not my weight.
    Anyone else encounter this? Advice?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by KitKat View Post
    My Monkey really struggles when I ask it go up hill from a dead stop.

There's a hill near my house that I encounter on a regular basis.
    If I'm approaching it in 2nd gear and am able to turn onto it with no cars in front of me, the Monkey takes it like a champ.
    But, if I have to slow down to 1st or stop before climbing it, the Monkey really objects.

I find myself wanting to do that Fred Flintstone duck walk thing to help it out, but that would just make me unstable.
    I only weigh 125lbs, so it's not my weight.
    Anyone else encounter this? Advice?
    At 138 pounds I'm also a lightweight. This really helps a stock displacement engine perform. I also live in a canyon and the first hill I climb every day from a dead stop is a 120 foot long 16% grade driveway. I modded my Grom for low rpm torque and it easily climbs it at 3,000 rpms without lugging the engine. I modified a DingerBuilt Long Intake to make it even longer.

Up Hill From a Dead Stop-t9k4yx1.jpg

Up Hill From a Dead Stop-img_1087.jpg

I gave up top end high rpm performance so there's nothing above 8,000 rpms, but I'm happy to make the trade off in exchange for enjoying superb low rpm pull as I'm always riding steep canyon roads.
    Last edited by tooter; 06-22-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Exhaust, alone will allow your bike to breathe better and build revs more freely. You're looking for low end grunt so you'll want a long exhaust with a near stock diameter not a short or large diameter race pipe. Intake may also help. You can also drop a tooth in the front sprocket at the expense of some top speed. But it's all relative. This 125cc engine is kind of a dog. There are 125cc Chinese pit bike engines putting out more power.
    tooter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    Exhaust, alone will allow your bike to breathe better and build revs more freely. You're looking for low end grunt so you'll want a long exhaust with a near stock diameter not a short or large diameter race pipe. Intake may also help. You can also drop a tooth in the front sprocket at the expense of some top speed. But it's all relative. This 125cc engine is kind of a dog. There are 125cc Chinese pit bike engines putting out more power.
    I'm running a very long 42 inch TOCE exhaust and a very short 16 inch IXIL so as to compare the two. The longer pipe does help the engine to pull stronger at low rpms, but to be honest there really isn't all that much difference between the two in daily riding. I believe it's the extra long DingerBuilt intake that is helping both of them to make more low rpm torque.

You're right.
    Don't install an exhaust with a large diameter head pipe on a stock displacement engine. It not only slows down exhaust gas velocity, it ruins the laminar flow by causing the exhaust gas to tumble on itself negating the beneficial scavenging effect of the pulses as the exhaust valve opens and closes.

Both the TOCE and the IXIL hdead pipes are the same diameter, and even though there is a huge difference in length, they both work fine with a 125 engine.

KitKat, now many miles do you have on your Monkey? The engine runs much better after 1,000 miles or so.
    Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    50-50 and T Monkey like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    IMO the Monkey is over geared from the factory, and there's a big gap in gear ratios going from 1st to 2nd. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket really wakes up the bike. It'll be a pretty rare day that you top it out while stock. Even with a full exhaust I've never hit the revlimiter in 4th, even going down a hill.
    tooter and 50-50 like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    That brings up an interesting question... is the Monkey geared higher than the 15/34 Grom?

Found this chart from 2013...

Last edited by tooter; 06-23-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    but to be honest there really isn't all that much difference between the two in daily riding. I believe it's the extra long DingerBuilt intake that is helping both of them to make more low rpm torque.

KitKat, now many miles do you have on your Monkey? The engine runs much better after 1,000 miles or so.
    It's all relative. When you start out with a measly 9 horsepower we're not going to feel much of a difference with any single, bolt-on mod, outside of a BBK, like we hope to. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by beatle View Post
    IMO the Monkey is over geared from the factory, and there's a big gap in gear ratios going from 1st to 2nd. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket really wakes up the bike. It'll be a pretty rare day that you top it out while stock. Even with a full exhaust I've never hit the revlimiter in 4th, even going down a hill.
    Does the Monkey have the same stock gearing as the Grom? I assume so because my stock Grom could never pull to the rev limiter in 4th gear.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-50 View Post
    It's all relative. When you start out with a measly 9 horsepower we're not going to feel much of a difference with any single, bolt-on mod, outside of a BBK, like we hope to. LOL
    You're right... the difference can only be subtle on such a tiny engine. I'm satisfied with the performance of a 125 because of its superb gas mileage and I don't want to ruin that.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    lol... there is no laminar flow in an exhaust pipe.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Gotta agree with 110% with Beatle in this one... sprockets are the cheapest easiest noticed torque helper on these little motors...it all helps but for under 20 bucks a 14tooth counter sprocket makes a noticed difference, and I can't hit rev limiter either.stock gearing I'd same as Grom...I've gone to a 37 on rear....and have 13,14,and stock15,I play with on countershaft....it's a blast with the 13/37combo!....but only runs about 45 safely on top end... So yeS. Drop to a 14 on counter shaft and don't look back... you'll be glad ya did!!! Speedo will read about 5 mph fast without a recalibrate..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links