Experience with Ohlins front fork kit
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Experience with Ohlins front fork kit

This is a discussion on Experience with Ohlins front fork kit within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Hi, I just installed the Ohlins FDK 107 kit for the front fork. Does anybody else have any experience with it? Haven’t really ridden it ...

Thread: Experience with Ohlins front fork kit

This user has no status.

Member #

Question Experience with Ohlins front fork kit

Hi,

I just installed the Ohlins FDK 107 kit for the front fork. Does anybody else have any experience with it?

Haven’t really ridden it due to constant rain but I have the impression it is way to heavily sprung. As per the recommendations in the manual I used the heavier spring that is supplied (6 vs 5 Nm) as I weigh more than 80 kg. But if I look at the bike now if I just let it stand it has almost no sag at all. Even with me on it I doubt I get 2 cm of sag. I’ll check if I can measure tomorrow.

I hope I did not get a wrong spring or something like that because when I compared the two I thought there was a big difference in the way they looked for only a 1 Nm difference.

I did not face any issues mountig them and they “work” so also don’t think I did anything wrong.

Anybody else running the fdk107 with the heavier spring?

Thanks,
    Stef

This user has no status.

Member #
    Same thing with my grom. I am 100kgs, installed ohlins fork kit with the heavier 6Nm springs. Did everything right but for my taste the fork is very stiff now. But bike controls very well, I did not feel any bad behaviour from this stiffness on braking or cornering. I always thinking that I installed something wrong, spacers, etc.. Because Ohlins manual have mistakes, this fact was discussed on this forum. May be I will try to change to the 5Nm springs later.

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    I had run the Ohlins in my track bike for a while now and was very happy with them. I'm about 89kgs with my full suit and I found the 5.5n/mm spring to be the correct choice after switching from the 6.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Thx for the feedback. Anybody has a weight reference with the 5nm springs?

I have also mounted the rear shocks now, also with the heavy springs (had them sent of for powdercoating red first) as these are also mentioned for above 80kg.

These are my sag values, measured on the rear the spring length and on the front from the top of the black fork holder to bottom of red tube.

Front: free sag 1 cm (12 cm - 11 cm) and rider sag 2,5 cm (12 cm - 9,5 cm)
    Rear: free sag 0,1 cm (18,8 cm - 18,7 cm) and rider sag 2,5 cm (18,7 cm - 16,2 cm)

What do you guys think, this was measured with me 93 kg without helmet and jacket.

Rider sag at the rear is probably just ok, at the minimum I guess if I remember what a mechanic told me once. But shouldn't the front be 0,5 to 1cm more at least? Don't really want to just try the front with 5nm cause its again removing the forks, draining the oil, heating to loosen the threadlock etc. Don't get me wrong I like tinckering on my bikes but the front forks is a bit too much to do it two weekends in a row.

If someone has any experience with the 5nm springs and about 90kg that would be handy

Thx for feedback,
    Stef

is smaller the cc, bigger the pp.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stefke View Post
    Thx for the feedback. Anybody has a weight reference with the 5nm springs?

I have also mounted the rear shocks now, also with the heavy springs (had them sent of for powdercoating red first) as these are also mentioned for above 80kg.

These are my sag values, measured on the rear the spring length and on the front from the top of the black fork holder to bottom of red tube.

Front: free sag 1 cm (12 cm - 11 cm) and rider sag 2,5 cm (12 cm - 9,5 cm)
    Rear: free sag 0,1 cm (18,8 cm - 18,7 cm) and rider sag 2,5 cm (18,7 cm - 16,2 cm)

What do you guys think, this was measured with me 93 kg without helmet and jacket.

Rider sag at the rear is probably just ok, at the minimum I guess if I remember what a mechanic told me once. But shouldn't the front be 0,5 to 1cm more at least? Don't really want to just try the front with 5nm cause its again removing the forks, draining the oil, heating to loosen the threadlock etc. Don't get me wrong I like tinckering on my bikes but the front forks is a bit too much to do it two weekends in a row.

If someone has any experience with the 5nm springs and about 90kg that would be handy

Thx for feedback,
    Stef

With the 5.5n/mm front springs in the forks my rider sag was around 34mm, again full suit and helmet around 89kg... I don't recall what the free sag was, sorry! I ended up adding a 2mm thick spacer to the fork preload with the 5.5n/mm to help the sag a little bit and also because I was racing. I did also find that the 235mL of fork fluid recommended by Ohlins was causing a lot of issue, including hydraulic lock. I ended up running 220mL to fix the issue.

For the rear, I ran the 100n/mm rear spring and had my rider sag right around 28mm.

Sponsored Links