Got my Monkey - First Impressions
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Got my Monkey - First Impressions within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; Well my Monkey was delivered today! It looks fantastic. I took it out for a first ride, 14 miles around town. I almost wasnít able ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By KitKat
  • 1 Post By Swampass
  • 1 Post By beatle

Thread: Got my Monkey - First Impressions

This user has no status.
    Member #

Well my Monkey was delivered today!
    It looks fantastic.
    I took it out for a first ride, 14 miles around town.
    I almost wasnít able to ride today because I didn't have my insurance card yet.
    But my State Farm guy came through and emailed It to me!

So here are my first impressions.

It's louder and vibrates more than I had expected. Especially starting in first gear.
    From the videos Iíve seen online, people seem to say the Monkey is very quiet.
    Mine sounds like a lawnmower. Is this typical? It's not the exhaust, it's the engine.
    When Iím stopped and holding the front brake, it quiets down. Why would holding the brake quiet the engine?

It sits up nice and high. I was afraid it was going to feel too low. I donít like sitting low in traffic.
    The seat is remarkably comfortable.

The clutch engages at the far end travel.
    I got use to it after a few miles but I'd like to adjust that back some. It should engage more in the middle.

The front brake is excellent.
    The rear brake is almost nonexistent. I hope that can be adjusted.

The controls, shifter and rear brake, feel kind of toylike.
    I have a habit of stomping on the shifter when Iím at a stop to be sure Iím in first gear.
    I found myself a little bit worried about the shifter breaking off or bending. I need to change that habit.

The rear break peddle is kind of weak too. Feels too low. Maybe that's why it's not engaging.

The horn is louder and more commanding than I expected. I like that.

Iíve heard a lot of people say that they canít see behind them with the stock mirrors.
    I didnít have a problem with that at all. I could see behind easily.

Iíll have to get used to not having a tachometer. When I had my ninja 250, I would shift at about 10,000 RPM.
    I may be winding the monkey out too much in second and third year. I canít tell without a tachometer.

The foot pegs seem to be in just the wrong place when I put my feet on the ground, they poke my ankles.
    I found myself sliding forward on the seat to avoid that.
    Itís more comfortable sitting in the middle of the seat. Iíll have to adjust to that.

I had two different cars pull up and ask ďHey, what is that?Ē The Monkey turns heads.

Overall I love it!
    adamwayne, 50-50, Djezspin and 2 others like this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Congrats, did you find a dealer with in Calif that gave you a good deal on the pricing.

Ride safe

This user has no status.

Member #
    Another happy Monkey owner

If you want a tacho the best ones Iíve seen around at the moment are this

https://japan.webike.net/products/24038882.html or this

https://japan.webike.net/products/23882062.html

The one in the first link also has a digital display for time and temp which will be handy
    Last edited by stellio78; 05-28-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    2019 Monkey in Red with ABS / JT 14T Front Sprocket - Install pending / Hotlap Trail Exhaust / Takegawa Tachometer / DIY Fender Eliminator - Not currently installed / Kitaco Clutch Lifter & Springs - Install pending / OEM Lightened Oil Spinner - Install pending / Takegawa Magnetic Drain Bolt - Install pending / DIY Gear Shifter Linkage / Takegawa Power Filter - Install pending / Takegawa Super Oil Pump - Install pending / DIY White Frame Plugs / Lots of Takegawa bling

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    I had many of the same observations when I first rode it, although I concur with everyone else about the bike being exceptionally quiet.

I adjusted the clutch and brake pedal as well, though the front brake is good enough that I rarely touch the rear unless I'm goofing off.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have ridden and owned several Japanese 125cc motorcycles. You are paying the extra money for the fit, finish, styling, and quality of parts attached to the monkey. Things like the metal fenders, handlebar clamp, wheels, metal tank, seat, and other assorted hardware.

Other wise, they all ride and stop about the same. I think the Monkey/Grom is more comfortable and stops better than the Kawasaki Z125. The Z125 is more aggressive in seating position and has more top end hit....if a 125 can have a top end hit. I think the monkey feels a bit higher quality than the grom.

In the grand scheme of motorcycling, a single cylinder non-counterbalanced bike is going to vibrate at stop lights, have spongy brakes, make a lot of engine racket, and has odd clutch engagement. They all do. Some worse than others. That's what makes them fun.

The motor smooths out and quiets down a bit with some mileage. My monkey has a fair amount of piston slap. My z125 didn't.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.
    Member #
    Got mine last Tuesday. Already have 250 miles on it. No complaints so far except for the mirrors. I already ordered extenders to fix that. Engine is great. Brakes are good enough. Suspension works well on flat roads... After 115 miles I was down to my last bar..which was blinking. I stopped for gas and could only get 0.98 gallons in it. So basically I'm averaging about 120 mpg. Does that sound normal ? I will post pictures soon. Love this bike...
    Last edited by Sacalito; 05-29-2019 at 09:04 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    120mpg is about right depending on the terrain and how you ride it. I got down into the 80s while hammering it in the mountains for a couple hours.

I plan to take a fuel bottle with me on my next long ride and see how far I can go on a single tank. It allegedly holds about 1 1/2 gallons but I've never managed to put a whole gallon in it either, even when on the last bar of the fuel gauge.
    50-50 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have 1600 miles on mine and average about 80-85mpg. I'm a cornfed fellow and spend a fair amount of time at highway speed.

Sponsored Links