Shifty problem - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Shifty problem

This is a discussion on Shifty problem within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; this is a new bike, ride it like you stole it, really, those parts internal to the crank case needs to be worn, make sure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Shifty problem

is Living the Dream

Member #
    this is a new bike, ride it like you stole it, really, those parts internal to the crank case needs to be worn, make sure you shift it into gear. I like to bang my gears in and sometimes I power shift my gears meaning no clutch "old school let off on the gas and kick it into the next gear with no clutch", yes it's wrong and dangerous but it's my grom and if I break it I fix it. I have over 11K miles on both of my groms and they are now 5 sp transmission units and like you when these 5 sp was new it had a hard time shifting into gears until I had some break in miles on those gears.

Good luck

This user has no status.

Member #
    The important take away here is that I got to ride a thruxton 1200R with a bullet fairing. Now I want that fairing for my Guzzi
    2019 Monkey non-abs.
    Bazzaz/Z-AFM
    Yoshi exhaust/Spark arrestor
    Yoshimuira Cam shaft
    Ohlins
    Japanese winkers and tail light
    MNNTHBX Mtake
    OEM rack
    color matched Honda accessory mirrors

This user has no status.

Member #
    And I want an exhaust.

Thruxton goes up for sale soon. Just bought a Bobber Black.
    Swampass likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    OP, I have the same issue and cant work out if it really is to do with missing 4th from 3rd. The reason being is that the bike seems to change up, looses power momentarily and pulls again. I'm thinking its ECU related. It is very difficult to reproduce the fault which is why I haven't taken it back to me dealer but I did mention it when going in for first service. They performed an ECU reset but the fault is still there.....although only very occasionally now.

I also had a strange thing the other day. I was going downhill and approaching 67mph on the clock and the resonance of the engine changed to more of a shudder and missfire. I can only assume it is a rev limiter kicking in but again, I have not managed to reproduce this behavior since. It has made me feel like I may have an ECU issue or other sensor / electrical fault or something. There must be more than just the two of us that have experienced this surely?

This user has no status.

Member #
    I don't think it's ECU related. I think it is more mechanical in nature, at least in my case.

I ordered a shift support bracket from Hard Racing, but I haven't installed it yet or really ridden the bike much since getting it back from the dealer. I'm planning another day trip this Friday and should put close to 200 miles on the bike with the bracket and a new 14t sprocket. We'll see if the problem persists.

As for the rev limiter, I have never hit it in 4th gear. I've seen as high as 69 on the speedo (stock gearing) going down a hill while tucked in as close as I can. The bike's stock gearing is pretty tall for the amount of power it makes.
    Last edited by beatle; 05-15-2019 at 05:44 AM.
    [email protected] likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I also had a strange thing the other day. I was going downhill and approaching 67mph on the clock and the resonance of the engine changed to more of a shudder and missfire. I can only assume it is a rev limiter kicking in but again, I have not managed to reproduce this behavior since. It has made me feel like I may have an ECU issue or other sensor / electrical fault or something. There must be more than just the two of us that have experienced this surely?
    Definitely the rev limiter. With the 14T sprocket on the front of mine I can hit the limiter in every gear and it vibrates/shudders the bike like a wild beast.
    2019 Honda Monkey in Banana Yellow
    - Yoshimura RS-3 SS/SS/TI Full System
    - TB Performance Cam
    - Cameron Jones Racing Custom ECU
    - MNNTHBX Mtake Intake System
    - MNNTHBX Seat Caps
    - MNNTHBX Classic Tail Plate Mount
    - Forged Aluminum Shifter
    - Adjustable Shorty Levers
    - H2C Rear Chrome Rack
    - Kenda Big Block Tires
    - 14t Front Sprocket